Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Clutch slipping

bthackrey bthackrey
User | Posts: 56 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 09/24/13
03:18 PM

Hey all, I just bought an 01 Camaro and the clutch is slipping and I have some questions about it. I fully trust the previous owner not only to be honest but also to correctly install the new southbend stage 2 clutch he says put in 3 weeks ago. It has a ram adjustable master cylinder that has been fully adjusted but it seems as though the clutch is still being slightly engaged after releasing the pedal. Im not having any pedal issues such as sticking, or sponginess. Would it be the slave or m/c? and Ive read something about shimming, could this have anything to do with it? Thx for help!  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7828 | Joined: 12/09
04:42 PM

You should have 1/2" to 3/4" free pedal, when the clutch is fully released.
IF you don't have this, your clutch will cook in short order.
Adjust or shim as needed, but get that free play pronto.,. with the clutch partially engaged, your release bearing is spinning all the time.,. it was never designed to do this and will give out in short order.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
04:56 PM

Hi Peter!!  
skyeking

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7828 | Joined: 12/09
05:11 PM

Hi Noel, how are things going down under.
This place is a ghost town.,. what's going on.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

bthackrey bthackrey
Posted: 09/25/13
04:55 AM

Ok, well I took it to a shop yesterday and just asked them to take a look at it, they adjusted my m/c and said it helped but didn't quite do the trick. but now my pedal sticks way out up high and engages the clutch really high in the pedal movement and then has, what feels like, another foot to the floor after the clutch is fully engaged. Before it was nice and low where it felt like it should be. I had never checked for free movement, but I will today. Now that the shop messed with it, it may have the free play whereas it might not have before and could already be too late but I wont know because its good now lol. Ive never worked on any drivetrain, but im learning, thx for the help.  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2225 | Joined: 07/08
05:41 AM

You still have a problem if the clutch is engaging very high and the clutch pedal is a foot in the air. As Tuff said you should have free play at the top of the clutch pedal. I think the installation was done improperly and some change was left out. I would contact the manufacturer and see what they suggest.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

bthackrey bthackrey
05:58 AM

ok Ill do that then. thanks!
btw I checked for play just now, since the shop messed with it, no play whatsoever  

bthackrey bthackrey
06:35 AM

Called south bend and the gentleman I spoke with was very helpful and also said that they would be glad to honor the warranty on it even though Im not the original buyer, which I thought was awesome. So im having it yanked today to send in to them so they can take a look at it.  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2225 | Joined: 07/08
02:40 PM

That sounds like a great company to deal with. Few are willing to deal with any but the original owner.
The shop probably did little to help your problem.
If you would print the name of the company and their address just to give them some credit.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
05:03 PM

Hi Peter,
  My quacks are trying to make a ghost out of me with their indecision
  You are right about the forum going quiet and I think that the
  unilateral poor economies like mine are restricing the possible interests.
   Some instigating but little initiating.
   Good to hear from you and what has happened to Tecumsa' 2nd cousin these
  days??? Wish him well 4 me please...All the best 2 all of the people..  
skyeking

bthackrey bthackrey
Posted: 10/02/13
09:45 AM

Its
South Bend Clutch, Inc.
709 W. Jefferson Blvd
Mishawaka, IN 46545
or
DXDRacingClutches.com

I know they really surprised me with that, I wasn't calling and griping or expecting them to do much about it except maybe give me some advice.   Cool  

bthackrey bthackrey
Posted: 10/02/13
09:45 AM

Its
South Bend Clutch, Inc.
709 W. Jefferson Blvd
Mishawaka, IN 46545
or
DXDRacingClutches.com  

bthackrey bthackrey
Posted: 11/26/13
03:43 PM

Ok so I know this was a few weeks ago now but the car is finally being put back together which is making a few more questions pop up. Do I need an adjustable master cylinder? I guess I don't understand what the benefits of having one are. also, am I being overcharged? Im paying almost $800 for the labor of the clutch being removed (so I could send it to the manufacturer) + the reinstallation of the clutch + the slave and the installation of the slave, does that price sound about right?  Crazy  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 205 | Joined: 10/13
04:36 PM

its really hard to quote prices for another shop...

the flat rate book show.. 0.9 to 1.3 hours of flat rate time for the clutch master cylinder...

the flat rate book also shows 4.3 to 4.9 hours for a 5 speed
and 4.7 to 5.3 hours for a 6 speed clutch replacement..

these are for standard parts.. not performance stuff that might take longer to install..

how much time did the car occupy a hoist in the shop.. or did they carefully store the parts removed to the side.. and remove the car from the hoist..

at least it's not a C5 or C6 corvette... where everything all the way to the rear tires has to come off..  oh.. thats not too bad... it's only 8.0 hours of flat rate.. to do the corvette clutch..  toss in the flywheel.. and its 8.5 to 9.5 hours..  

bthackrey bthackrey
05:02 PM

Ok, yeah I was looking to find the flat rate times thank you.

And I guess that's about right then, I guess its just irking me a little to know that I only had the clutch removed BECAUSE the shop said the m/c and s/c were fine. But then the clutch manufacturer said the clutch was fine, and sent it back. And now the shop is saying the m/c and s/c ARE bad. that's $600 I wouldn't have paid had they diagnosed it correctly the first time and just replaced the m/c and s/c.

Would the tranny have needed to be dropped to replace the s/c? its an 01 Camaro ls1 and t56

Shocked Yeah no joke about the corvette, Ive heard about them being like that but still wow!  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last