350 camaro: NEED CAM ADVICE

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

350 camaro: NEED CAM ADVICE

worzman worzman
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/13
Posted: 09/30/13
03:39 PM

I got a 350 in my camaro and need to replace the cam. The cam i have in it now tends to make the engine lope and i have to constantly pump the gas to keep it running. it seems to not want to take off from a stop either. i bought a cam from Comp Cams and heres the specs on it

ADV DUR: 258 INT/ 264 EXH
DUR @ .050: 206 INT/ 212 EXH
LOBE SEP: 110
VALVE LIFT: .480 INT/ .487 EXH

would this be considered a mild cam for just street use. no plan on racing it. i don`t want to pay to replace it if its not going to help my car out. i don`t have any engine specs, the car is just stock 350 parts, no performance parts from what i can see.
any advice about this cam or any cam specs my car should have would help a bunch  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
05:41 PM

worzman

I'm not really sure what you mean by lope, do you mean a chugging and bucking. That I can understand. Just to get on the same page with you so I can help you the best we GURU's can. Grin  Cool

1.If you have any series Vortec Heads your pushing the lift to the maximum, that the heads can handle. By that I mean the valve spring retainer clearance to the top of the valve guide. The cam itself looks like a nice torque cam. Made for towing. To get the clearance you'll need the heads will have to come off and bring them to a reputable machine shop. They can machine the valve guides down to give you that clearance. Its labor intensive like anything else today. But it sure beats bending all the valves and maybe even worse dropping a valve, and destroying your engine. I would make sure you have that clearance.
2.I hope you are replacing the valve springs,the lifters, and the timing chain. A Cloyes double roller timing chain set P/N 93100 is a nice timing chain set for a street engine with a mild cam.
3.What rear gear ratio do you have?
4.Do you have an automatic or manual trans?  Grin  Cool

Bob

"NO RICE BURNERS ALLOWED"  

worzman worzman
07:14 PM

my question is will the cam work in my car as is (no machining)?
the cam i have in it has to much lift, apparently enough for a supercharger.
and the thing is i don`t have a whole lot of money to spend and just need to get my car in working order before winter comes. this is my "get me back and forth to work car", my only car, and was wondering if this cam will be good for just driving on a regular basis?  

pepsi1 pepsi1
11:47 PM

worzman

With the valve cover off get the P/N off the heads and post them. If its a vortec cylinder head you could have a retainer to valve guide problem. Not knowing what head you have its hard to say if you will have enough clearance. Get the part number, and then we will know for sure. Do you know how much lift the cam in your car has? If its over .450 and it doesn't make noise then you should be okay, to use your new cam.

I know all about money woos. My storage was broken into and nearly $250,000 of parts, engines and tools were taken...

Bob

pepsi1 pepsi1
11:48 PM

worzman

With the valve cover off get the P/N off the heads and post them. If its a vortec cylinder head you could have a retainer to valve guide problem. Not knowing what head you have its hard to say if you will have enough clearance. Get the part number, and then we will know for sure. Do you know how much lift the cam in your car has? If its over .450 and it doesn't make noise then you should be okay, to use your new cam.

I know all about money woos. My storage was broken into and nearly $250,000 of parts, engines and tools were taken...

Bob

worzman worzman
Posted: 10/01/13
02:36 PM

well the part number is: GM3 3873487 G81
I don`t know how much lift the cam has thats in it, its the way i bought it and the guy i bought it from was just into camaros. i mean when its running i don`t hear anything bad coming from the valve covers or any sort of knocking/ticking from the engine at all.  

dond1965 dond1965
Enthusiast | Posts: 294 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/02/13
11:14 PM

that is a MILD camshaft. you probably have an ignition or fueling problem. please give more details of your car,such as the year,carb or fuel injection etc. then someone will be better prepared to help you. if you do have vortec heads and dont want to mess with any thing you could reduce valve lift with 1.3 to one roller rockers,but i think if there was a guide to retainer clearence problem things would have gotten ugly in the engine with broken parts already....good luck