Unlocking Maximum Power And Acceleration From Set-Up

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Unlocking Maximum Power And Acceleration From Set-Up

10-Rings 10-Rings
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 02/18/14
11:00 PM

First of all I wanted to say thanks and give my appreciation to everyone who was kind enough to help me troubleshoot my brake light problems a few months back, well luckily it ended up being a super simple and free fix, all of the new brake light switches I bought wouldn't work, and the ones that did worked in reverse order, apparently corrosion in the connector and on the old brake light switch was the problem all along.

Now my newest project is trying to pull the most amount of power possible from my current set-up, I have a 78' Chevy Nova with a 350 engine, bored 60 over, aftermarket center-bolt aluminum heads, dual-plane aluminum intake (square bore with an adapter on it for a spread spore carburetor), mid-length headers, stock exhaust (probably pretty restrictive), mechanical fuel pump, 750 Rochester carburetor (completely rebuilt with performance kit and vacuum secondaries), MSD distributor, 10mm spark plug wires (with 25 ohms of resistance), 3.90 rear gears, .480/.480 cam (I believe the duration is 280 and the powerband is 2,000-6,000rpms), I think I currently have a 2000rpm stall converter, turbo 350 transmission (completely built with manual valve body), it seems like my car should be a lot meaner than what it is, I've been told that I need to get a 3,000rpm stall converter and full exhaust with a X-pipe to make a big difference, do you guys have any suggestions to awaken a lot of sleeping power/potential out of my current set-up first? Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.  

joe- joe-
User | Posts: 133 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 02/19/14
06:58 AM

i agree, a higher stall converter.   dont forget a tranny cooler.   a shift improver kits a good idea.

do you know what your compression is?  cc of heads?   style of pistons?   part numbers?

roller rockers?

exhaust plays a very important roll in power potential.    too restrictive, and you'll never see your goals.    just as important as pipe size is, good free flowing mufflers are part of the combination.   an x or h pipe will help, and keep it a little quieter.

sounds like your on the right path.   heres a good article/chart about exhaust size and power potential.

http://www.exhaustvideos.com/faq/how-to-calculate-muffler-size-pipe-diameter/  
joe-

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 02/19/14
09:17 AM

+1 Joe
Great link you posted.,. I'll put it in print and post a thread.,. thanks bud.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder