Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

1984 C4 Corvette ZR2 wannabe

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 854 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 01/09/14
09:47 AM

A man on the Southside has a c4 for sale and I am Interested.IT Is ROUGH, but the price reflects that. It's Complete and will run but that is about it. Lingerfelter Built 4 for GM with Big Blocks For Sale (502's and BIGGER).and a version was also run at Lemans tho I don't Know where they were Built. I just Happen to Have a 454TD that I was going to use in a Drag Car and I think something I could Drive around would suit me better AKA Mountain Monster, Since I can't afford to race on my own this could be my Ticket to..... well,Jail or a Super speeder Ticket anyway Lol. DragCar $40,000 to be Competitive(just for a car). I think with My Junkyard Mentality I can do this For 5 large. I never was a fan Of Vettes, but this could be Fun and I HAVE always Liked Road Racing, so what ya'll think  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7828 | Joined: 12/09
09:52 AM

Lark, I owned a 454 BB Vette and as long as you go in a straight line they are great.,. but in corners they are a dismal failure and too nose heavey to negotiate any tight turns

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 208 | Joined: 10/13
07:02 PM

you can pull the 5.7L L83 motor.. and install a stroker small block 383  and keep the crossfire fuel injection.

or even better.. get a vortec headed stroker... the TBI intake for the vortec heads and a conventional dual barrel TBI unit.  upgrading the computer and harness to a late 80s or early 90s TBI system computer..  you will need either the 9C1 injectors or the smaller of the 7.4L injectors.. to make up for the difference.

oh yea... the only thing new so far is the stroker kit  and intake..  and heads.. but those can be found..

you will have to have the 700R4 updated to withstand the massive power increase..hte sun shell is not going to last very long if you get into the throttle deep..

and you could still have the great handling of the C4 series..
hint.. you can also get a good used transmission from ...a 90 or 91 C4.. those have slightly better parts..  and are available used..

be sure to check out both online corvette magazines on this site..

corvettefever  dot com

and

vetteweb  dot com..

i think i saw some articles on big block into C4 articles..  there are also LS into C4 articles.  

dond1965 dond1965
Enthusiast | Posts: 294 | Joined: 12/13
08:46 PM

Icon Quotetuffnuff:
Lark, I owned a 454 BB Vette and as long as you go in a straight line they are great.,. but in corners they are a dismal failure and too nose heavey to negotiate any tight turns

Smile

with an iron motor that is an absolute truth tuff. john greenwoods alloy motor cars with cross flow/lay down kinsler fuel injection are another story... really really. Smile  

dond1965 dond1965
Enthusiast | Posts: 294 | Joined: 12/13
08:48 PM

wayne you dont know.... psyce!!!  

wayne712222 wayne712222
09:39 PM

did you guys spot the secret rear shocks on the road race corvettes last year???

almost no damping in the extension.  it hurt my back just watching them.. as the suspension extended fully and the body bounced at the top of the stroke.. but then i realized.. that wow.. that the secret... when the body is moving up.. its not pulling up on the rear suspension and reducing traction. so there was more spring pressure on the rears all the time.. more road contact patch.  instead of a 90/10 shock setting.. they were probably 95/5

just thought i would share..

i wonder how many classes of racing use the hydraulic bump stops used in off road racing... and if those are adjustable during the race.. like the spring saddles are.  so if at some point the car starts bottoming out on a spot on the track.. a turn could be put into that.. so with the aero forces pushing the car down.. its raised just a fraction..  

years ago.. my friend had a pro gas car.. he and i were working on limits for the front suspension to limit the downward travel.. so there was only 2 inches of travel as the weight transferred to the rear wheels.. he ended up with loops of steel cables.. i wanted to have the coil over shocks  modified internally .. or create some chains that were bolted on with a old valve spring to act as a cushion when the chain goes tight..  the scales tipped to the looped steel cable..  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 01/11/14
10:16 AM

Hey Tuff, yea I thought about the weight also. the platform is still going to be better than an F or x chassis. Wayne the NASCAR rule on Shock and Springs Packages was in response to running a car on the Bump stops,as the front would be at legal height and the rear was so far down the Spoiler angle changed aka more speed. I don't guess the Alum. rods will help much in reducing the overall weight. Lol.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
04:35 PM

there are project c4orce articles in both corvette magazines on this site.. vetteweb and corvettefever

http://www.corvettefever.com/projectbuild/corp_0711_mounting_c4force_engine/viewall.html

here is hanging the LS3 into the C4 chassis

http://www.vetteweb.com/tech/vemp_1101_project_c4orce_wrap_up/

there are a bunch more articles if  you would like to see them.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5117 | Joined: 12/09
11:07 PM

Hey John I know if there are weight issues you will adjust with a sawzall, won't ya? Waynes probably pointing you in the right direction, those vettes are a cult thang man. Hope you're doin good and havin fun.

http://www.hotrod.com/projectbuild/hrdp_1011_corvette_hack_track_test/  
idrivejunk

joe- joe-
User | Posts: 133 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 01/12/14
02:24 PM

how about a used nascar engine from hendrick? Laugh

http://www.roushyatesparts.com/used-chevy-hendrick-sb2-racing-engine-p/ryp-475.htm  
joe-

76Skylark 76Skylark
02:41 PM

Hey Joe, Yes to Hendrick engines. WaaaY back We got a Ricky Rudd Engine from them. A 14.1 engine that lasted us at least 5 years running in a 3200# car. Thanks Wayne I am going to check over there. Looked at the Car yesterday, Man it's a mess. I did drive it around the Yard though. Odd looking front clip Like a Fiero or "Bird But overall Rough. There is a Body on CL for 500 so Going to look at it also. Man also has a 67 Camaro That is a rolling Shell But You would Need a car(Total) for all the Little Stuff. Called a Bud to tell him about the Shell and He told Me that at work there is a C4 for Sale:Light Glass Front end, Carbed Engine,Roll Bars and some other stuff For 2500 bucks,so they May be the Red Head Stepchild of the Family. But Hey I am Partial to Redheads.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
02:54 PM

there are more articles over in HR or CC.. on building carb versions of the 6.0 or 6.2 with the ? L92 heads that made like 600 cheep horsepower..

for a twist..  i think dart or world products has a conventional GEN 1 small block that allows the LS heads to be bolted on..

the caged plan sounds great..

so does the camaro... every part is available.. ..

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 01/13/14
01:13 PM

Wayne, I read through the article's you put up and they were about the LS series install,A year ago I hauled a 5.3 to the dump 'cause No-one wanted it even for 100 bucks,and I do read up on them when Jeffro does stories on them (lester scruggs).So I do see they are Capable but for now my cash is in this BB,and there is no saving on weight comparied to the Gen.1. If I go and Buy a trick block it will be Alum. BB.  there is an Older 632 alum block on CL here for 2700 w/crank but needs 5 of 8 Sleeves put in.and I would just guess prob. something else too. IDJ, like the story say's "That's Just Wrong" Lol. the body kit on it is a Shinoda, the Back is OK front Is just Plain looking. needs something more like a newer one. Just saw a 2014,Kinda B-A ya know.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 01/16/14
01:34 PM

Hey Guy's, Wayne Has been helping Me Persue the BBC into A C4,and I took it upon Myself to Contact A Man At Arizona Speed and Marine that has done this Swap and Asked him to Post up the Details here,From what Wayne Found It is pretty Straight Forward and No more a Hassle than most stuff I get into. I do hope they Come over and post it up. A man I have Bought and Sold stuff From on CL also has a AzSpeed&marine RamJet Intake for Sale at A good Price and that unit Looks BAD A.. Ya'll Know I don't Care If it Sits up High Through the Hood But It Can't Be Any Worse than a Dominator On a Tunnel Ram,I think really it is Lower,Maybe He would Trade,I need to Call. Much Thanks to Wayne.  

joe- joe-
User | Posts: 133 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 01/16/14
06:47 PM

sounds like a good plan Lark.   i like the idea of the big block vette.    you should have a lot of fun with that.    go for it!  Cool  
joe-

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last