3.6 V6 and 4.2 inline 6 fitment issues in 1954 Chevy car

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

3.6 V6 and 4.2 inline 6 fitment issues in 1954 Chevy car

54on20s 54on20s
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/23/14
12:47 PM

Has anyone installed a 4.2 inline 6 Vortec or a 3.6 V6 in a 1953 or 1954 Chevy car and did the firewall braces need trimmed? I'm considering a 4.2 I6 or 3.6 V6 used in Camaros and Cadillacs in a 54 Chevy car. I'm wondering if anybody out there has done this and can tell me how the fit is and if they had to trim the firewall braces. Thanks  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 198 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 01/24/14
02:37 AM

i don't know about the trimming and fitting..

i did see this over at novak

GM Atlas I6 & I5, 2002- 4.2L, 3.5L

The GM Atlas series of engines presented the world with GM's very refreshed view of the straight-six engine. Released in 2002 as the 4.2L Vortec, it took engineers and the automotive press by storm. It may be one of the most efficient truck I6 engines ever made, and it competes handily against other companies V8 offerings. It does, however, remain somewhat in the shadow of the GM LS & Vortec V8 engines.

As the Atlas engineering and tooling is modular from their inception, it has a five and four-cylinder siblings, the 3700 and 2800, respectively. These engines all share the same bellhousing bolt pattern with each other. However, individuals swapping these into Jeeps should understand that they do not share the same 90-degree Chevrolet V6, V8, I6, Iron Duke bolt pattern. The Atlas family can marry to a 4L60E auto with the appropriate bellhousing, as well as the GM AR5 transmission for the I4 & I5 versions. Engine mount availability is not yet there. Computer and wiring support is very good, as with the other GM engines.

if you get into this..

invest in a digital camera.. not just a cell phone camera..  take lots  of photos.

put them up on photobucket..  its free..  that makes them easy to post..

or moderatly easy..  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2219 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 01/24/14
07:53 AM

Those old Chevys came with an inline 6 originally. They sure were dogs when it came to acceleration. When the 265 V8 came out in 55, Chevy went from a pig to a hot car. Catching Ford and all the others by surprise in the acceleration dept. I would think that the new I6 would surely fit well in relation to length & width. Oil pan clearance may be a problem. Motor mounts would have to be fabricated. You would also want to go with the late model trans and computer wiring. I would think that this would be an excellent engine for such an install but aftermarket support does not seem to be there to make it an easy swap. Even GM seems to have put this pretty good motor on the afterburner. It should be pretty cheap to purchase at the bone yard but the swap may not be an easy one. I would think getting everything you can from the donor car, especially electronics, would be very important.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]