Need help with repairing engine

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need help with repairing engine

Gmb96gt Gmb96gt
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 06/13
Posted: 06/09/13
03:00 PM

So last year my father passed away leaving me his 383. The engine was built a few years ago and barely had any miles on it before the mechanical fuel pump dumped fuel into the engine. He told me then, since his health was getting worse, that he didnt plan on fixing it and that i could have it. He told me all the engine needed was bearings, but we never really talked too much about it.

Ive never built an engine so im not sure what exactly is harmed by the fuel. Do i need to fully rebuild this thing or would a rod and main bearing kit do the job? I plan on doing the work myself and id rather not touch the piston rings unless i have to.

I just need direction. is there anything I can do to determine the extent of the damage?  

jokerZ71 jokerZ71
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 05/13
03:24 PM

If the engine was ran any @ all with very much fuel in the oil,it will most likely need bearings & rings.Really no way to tell tho without pulling the heads & lookin @ the cylinders,etc.  
97 Z71 extended cab,5.7,4L60E,285/75-16,American Outlaw Buckshot Wheels.528,000 miles.

jokerZ71 jokerZ71
New User | Posts: 22 | Joined: 05/13
03:29 PM

Is the engine still in the vehicle ? Was it operated with fuel in the oil? Pulling the heads & lookin @ the cylinder bores would be the best thing to do.If it wasn't ran,you may get lucky by doin a couple of oil changes back to back.If no noises are present & oil psi is good with no smoke or oil consumption.  
97 Z71 extended cab,5.7,4L60E,285/75-16,American Outlaw Buckshot Wheels.528,000 miles.

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
04:12 PM

Gmb96gt sorry about your dad....

If you never did this type of work before you have 2 choices.

1.Have a professional look it over, and possibly rebuild it.
2.Purchase some selfhelp books. www.carbooks.com

The gas could have washed not only the lubricant off the bearings, but it could have taken the oil off the cylinder bores, and it could have caused the pistons to score in the bores. That could mean a major rebuilding.

Bob  

Gmb96gt Gmb96gt
05:34 PM

Thanks guys

If the engine was ran it was only for minutes. He barely drove the truck and when he did he didnt go far. And no, the engine is now sitting on an engine stand.

Im not new to turning wrenches ive just never went deeper than a head swap as far as engine work. Ill definitely have a how-to before i attempt anything.  

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 06/10/13
05:27 PM

Hi there.
 This is what I would do and it won't cost much.

Drain all oil.Change filter with new primed filter.
 Pull the plugs and put about 50ccs of new oil into
 each cylinder and turn the engine on starter motor
 for 5 seconds at a time so you can get some oil to
 the bottom of the stroke.About 8 times should do.
  Then spin the motor to push any remaining oil from
 cylinders and then take a compression test noting all
 numbers to cylinders.
  If you are getting better than 170 at good cranking
 speed then put it together, start it and then check
 oil pressure at warm temp. If average then drive down
 to Hungy Jack's and think how lucky you have been.
   All the very best...Skyeking in Australia...  
skyeking

Gmb96gt Gmb96gt
Posted: 06/10/13
07:05 PM

Thanks for the advice. Ill update this thread and ask more questions when i find out more.