Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

ignorance about carbs

dond1965 dond1965
Enthusiast | Posts: 294 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/07/13
04:45 PM

the other day i went to the www.hotrodders.com/forums [NOT hot rod magazines].... they have a continuing thread on the predator carb that STARTED IN 2006!! i was AMAZED how uninformed and OPINIONATED people were about things!! holley junkies were trying to state the predator was an unproven technology. and people were being mislead by predator advertizing! first off let me make clear i DO NOT work for predator, or even own one of their carbs!  but i DO KNOW this.... holley has spent many times over on advertizing in the past 100 years what predator has spent!! WE have been exposed to the holley 4v carb for almost 60 years now and taught about them by hot rod and other magazines for almost as long!! the predator carb [originally the KENDIG] dates back to the early 1970s, it is a variable venturi design. variable venturi carbs go back much farther than that! the english installed the SU variable venturi carbs on a plethora of different engines in who knows how many different manufacturers cars! americans used those SU carbs on homebrew installations on HARLEY bikes in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and people still do so today!! stromberg made variable venturi carbs also, and they were installed on datsuns, and volvos to name just 2. in 1979 most of the screamin south pacific born 4-cyl. bikes switched over to the variable venturi design, they refer to them as constant vacuum or c.v. units [a rose by any name smells just as sweet] mostly manufactured by keihin and mikuni. harley installed keihin c.v. carbs oem for over twenty years!! to this day motorcycle manufacturers around the world install c.v. carbs! in summation i say... just because you DONT understand something, or are unfamiliar with it DOES NOT qualify YOU to bash it as a band wagon KNOW IT ALL!!! and dont even think my 52 year old butt never worked on a holley, carter/edelbrock, rochester, mikuni, keihin, hitachi, etc. and made them function PROPERLY! and NO, ive never touched a predator!!  

dond1965 dond1965
Posted: 12/08/13
11:40 AM

p.s. you see the words south pacific born because I edited the edit job some one did to my shortening of the word japanese!! i guess now its ignorance of what is or is NOT a racial slur!! and NOBODY uses NIPPON as a proper word, but instead uses the word JAPAN!!!  GO FREAKING FIGURE!!! you think maybe some nipponese folk are insulted by the words japan or japanese?!?!?!  WHATEVER!!!!!  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5117 | Joined: 12/09
02:21 PM

Thats a computerized robot with a few glitches putting asterisks where it thinks you are using WWII era words to describe Japanese. I dunno, maybe the robot thinks its a dirty word. Simmer down, man. It makes you type out Trans Am, too.  
idrivejunk

dond1965 dond1965
04:52 PM

thank you for the tid bit of information! i wasnt upset, i just wanted to be CLEAR! have a GREAT day bro!  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/10/13
11:26 AM

Pedator Carbs Are.......wait for it........ GREAT. in the 60's I worked for Lotus and on other cars that used varible venturi carbs but until the Predator came along they were not Large enough for american engines, today I do Quadrajets for most street cars and Holleys on Hotrods, If I had a stack of Predators to play with I would start Experiminting. Most use I see today is on Boats and Pulling trucks as they have Mid-range power that is hard to beat and the Fuel Delivery isn't disturbed as much in rough terrain. thumbs UP here  

dond1965 dond1965
Posted: 12/10/13
05:21 PM

have you ever heard of or seen a dressetter carb from dresser industries? i saw pictures of them along time ago in the old how to build big block chevy's book from the 1970's.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 12/11/13
09:02 AM

Not that I remember, post a pic. I am courious  

Tony357 Tony357
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/12/14
04:07 PM

I used a predator 15 years agoe on 289 ford race boat engine. made good HP i even played with it and manipulated the fuel curve..We drove to predator in jackson nj and they set the carb up for us initially on their engine on the dyno..  

ddemello ddemello
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/12/14
04:24 PM

i have read some posts that state the people at predator are very helpful to customers in a very big way. im now curious about that dressettor.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 01/13/14
01:27 PM

And that is why they are a really good Carb, with a Variable venturi It will run on a plethoria of engines and sizes cubic inch wise. Pics of Dressetter please.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 195 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 01/14/14
11:37 AM

hmm... back in 78/79.. i got to go with my auto shop teacher roger gates to bob kendigs shop to look at rogers kendig carb .. predator had just predated kendigs design and man was he upset.. a few tweeks by kendig.. up it went on his SBC dyno mule and a short test run... and it was done..

sometimes.. i feel like i am living the life of forrest gump..

Kendig3 Detail

Kendig5 Detail

Kendigfloatbowl

Dh3fw3

that swing arm against a tapered groove sure goes back to the fish carbs...

a better idea was used on the other variable venturi carbs.. Su's stromberg and the motorcraft V2700 and 7200 versions.. where a tapered metering rod was extracted by the movement of the air doors..

an improvement to the predator could be done by redesigning the sweeping pickup tube to a lever actuated metering rod.. if the insertion amount of the metering jet was easily adjustable via an external set screw.. that would be really great..

i also am nuts. as i really liked the motorcraft 2700 variable venturi.. not the 7200 as that required computer feed back to control the stepper motor on the air bleed side of the main wells...

get them right.. and they were excellent carbs.. as long as nobody went near them with carb spray.. as they would melt the diaphragms..  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2217 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 01/14/14
02:23 PM

When I was racing few guys ran the predator carbs. I was curious about them and asked someone who was running one. He said it ran fine but I have not had any personal experience with one. It looks like a good idea however.
Like Wayne said as long as no one who had no clue got near one. That would go for most carbs and in that case for most things.

I get around the J A P thing by doing just what you see.
My fathers ship was sank by some Kamikaze planes back in WW2 so I have no trouble using that phrase, if it is a slur, too bad. He was wounded but survived, he had to swim to save himself too. Now they are our best friends who are killing us in the market place along with the Chinese. Most of the Japanese people one on one are very nice and respectful but their politics during the pre war period were the worst.
The current generation has little clue what went on during WW2, HOW SOON WE FORGET.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
New User | Posts: 47 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/15/14
03:38 AM

From currently banned member, DOND DDEMELLO:

"IGNORANCE ABOUT CARBS

in 1979 most of the screamin south pacific born 4-cyl. bikes switched over to the variable venturi design,”

From Shyrg:

A traditional style automotive carb is no less of a “variable venturi” type than any motorcycle type carb. This is because the amount of air an auto style carb can flow is regulated by a throttle plate/”butterfly” in the carb. A motorcycle simply regulates that amount of air by using either a round or flat shaped movable slide.

Japanese motorcycle companies used constant velocity type carbs on some of the bikes imported into the US at least as early as 1969.

xxxxx

“they refer to them as constant vacuum or c.v. units [a rose by any name smells just as sweet]”

From Shyrg:

This is completely wrong. “Constant velocity” is simply a feature that some carbs have. In general, it means that the amount of air a carb can flow up to its maximum, is controlled a “vacuum” operated "door" located in the carb bore/venturi.

xxxxx

“i was AMAZED how uninformed and OPINIONATED people were about things!!”

From Shyrg:

Lol, me too, your thread title says it all.

xxxxx

PREDATOR CARBS

They are an obscure carb that few use.

It is a carb that has an “air door” located in the venturi/bore which opens varying amounts based upon engine demand, NOT driver demand.

In other words, its principle and function are very similar to a q jet style secondary. A butterfly is opened below the “air door” mechanically by the driver. The air door will then open different amounts based SOLELY upon “engine vacuum”.

If you have a 900 cfm Predator on a stock 283 eng, in theory, you can floor it from a dead stop without it hurling and gesticulating. This is because the air door will only open as far as the engine makes/allows it, irrespective of mechanical throttle position.

This is good for improving mileage and reducing the potential for “bogging”.

Carbs with "air doors" or vacuum operated throttle slides, are also referred to as "constant velocity" carbs.

The "air door" operated secondary on a q jet, as well as probably the vacuum operated "butterfly"/throttle plate secondary of other carbs, can also be called a constant velocity section of a carb.

This means that a Holley with vacuum secondaries, or a Q Jet, can be more accurately referred to as a 4 barrel with constant velocity secondaries.

This term sounds a LOT more High Perf to me than the term, "vacuum secondaries", and therefore, it might sell a lot more carbs. I think I'll register and try to sell it to Holley or Quick Fuel etc., lol.

If this style of operation were the best option for a HIGH PERF engine, John Force would use one. I don’t remember seeing one on his car but I could be wrong…

From PREDATOR:

“The variable venturi design of the Predator carburetor allows it to work strictly off of the air demand of the engine and meters fuel in a direct relationship to that demand.”

Wow, this sounds almost EXACTLY like what a Q Jet carbs secondaries do, as well as side draft auto carbs like SU’s AND motorcycle carbs, ALL of which have been around for about a ZILLION years. What new technology!

“the engine and meters fuel in a direct relationship to that demand.”

Wow, this is nearly identical to what  a Q Jets primaries Also do.  

shyrgfuh3 shyrgfuh3
New User | Posts: 47 | Joined: 01/14
03:47 AM

Wayne

Cool post!  

4zpeed 4zpeed
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/14
08:34 AM

“i was AMAZED how uninformed and OPINIONATED people were about things!!”

From Shyrg:

Lol, me too, your thread title says it all.

Somehow dond or ddemello or whatever and uninformed/OPINIONATED go, hand in hand.

Very informative Shy, +1 Cool Post Wayne.

Grin  
Poncho huggen gear snatchen posi piro.

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last