383 stroker horsepower?

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

383 stroker horsepower?

usmcsgt17 usmcsgt17
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/16/13
08:21 PM

I just bought a 383 stoker for 500$ from a friend of a friend.. comes with all accessories and longtube headers. it was built and put in a k5 blazer with big 37 inch superswampers.. so it was in an offroad vehicle. I was told it has less than 2500 miles on it. I did not hear it run but supposedly it ran when it was parked 6 months ago here are the specs the guy that built the motor sent:

SBC .030 over 3.75 stroke 383 ci Eagle rotating assembly with speed pro pistons, melling pump, camel hump heads 2.02 in 1.60 ex dual springs ported shaved , elebrock rpm intake, ported tbi 660 cfm throttlebody, 1-7/8 ceramic longtube headers.
the cam is the middle of the 5 crane off-road series cams.

It was recommended by a friend  to get rid of the "TBI" crap and just put a regular carb on it? from reading it seems a 750 cfm carb is what is recommended for the 383 stroker? it seemed hard to go wrong with this purchase for the price especially since im a beginner trying to build a 4 door sleeper! but any input on possible horsepower of this motor or modification recommendations are appreciated. also will the th350 ( I have no idea what torque converter I have) handle this engine?  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2225 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 11/17/13
08:07 AM

Depending on who put it together the HP could vary greatly. Probably as much as a 100 hp difference. A range of between 250 & 350 HP.
 The price is sure right but I would be suspicious of someone letting an engine go for 500 that probably cost 2500-3000 to build. It could be sold for quite a bit more. I would pull it apart and see what is really in it.
A 350 would handle that power fine if it is in good condition. A higher stall converter say around 2800-3000 would work fine for a mild cam.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

usmcsgt17 usmcsgt17
10:09 AM

Thanks for the input dave632! well the story behind it being cheap is a marine coming back from deployment having all his money had a friend who was a mechanic build this motor.. it wasn't running right so he had the mechanic pull it apart had the block magnafluxed he did all the right things everything checked out so he put it together drove it well later on he started having problems like it would just sputter like it was a fuel issue so he just parked it in storage for 6 months.. when the guy that sold the engine to me bought the whole blazer for cheap so he sold the engine to me wheels and tires to someone else and the body and axles to my buddy to get his quick cash..me and my friend were talking and came to the conclusion it was probably the "TBI" causing the issues .. so when me and my friend were removing the motor we noticed the spark plugs came out with our fingers and there were some open vacuum lines... we looked at each other and determined that was probably why this thing was running like crap.. so im 99% confident the internals are good. we were all in the corps together so I don feel anyone was trying to be shady! I mean they had royal purple in it they spared no expense haha  

Dave632 Dave632
02:28 PM

Royal purple. The $6 a quart oil, at least it cost that when I was racing, probably more now. Some of the guys I raced against changed that oil after only a few runs.... I ran mine at least a couple of sessions and it was good oil but not Royal purple.
OK, it sounds like it should be OK since you knew the seller pretty well.
I know little about throttle bodies, never used one racing, so I can give little advice there.
You may want to try it as is but you would need an FI fuel pump and there are some other TB controls that are outside the unit that would have to be present to control the fuel supply. A carb, a 750 would work well, would be a lot simpler and it would correct any fuel issues that the TB had.  

usmcsgt17 usmcsgt17
05:32 PM

yea royal purple isn't cheap.. while pulling the engine my buddy was upset about wasting that good oil! but the car isn't strictly for racing im putting it in a 66 Pontiac tempest 4dr sedan so I want it to be a daily street driver.. but be able to be able to smoke unsuspecting ricers and ruin their day when they get smoked.. just like your little tag says! any recommendations for gearing? it has a 10 bolt idk what gears it has now like I said it will be in town cruising around wont be any  long distance free way driving? im not gunna do gears right now but for later down the road what would you recommend ?  

Dave632 Dave632
06:29 PM

Go get em. I loved smoking rice cars. I did it on the track when ever I could. Rarely would one dare to line up next to me. I would sometimes wait before I lined up in staging for one to show up. When I ran the Pro Mod I don't think I ever ran one. Even on test and tune nights the track would normally only let me run a single as that car was pretty violent.
I would not go to crazy with high rear end ratios on the street. I ran 4.56 gears on the street a long time ago and even though gas was cheap back then having the engine screaming just going along at 50 mph is not fun. I would not go higher than a 3.70 unless you are planning some kind of overdrive transmission.
I notice you were in the military. I salute you and thank for your service.  

usmcsgt17 usmcsgt17
06:56 PM

thank you for the info! and It was a pleasure serving thank you  

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
09:54 PM

This guy has the right attitudes..All the best...Noel in Australia  
skyeking

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
09:54 PM

This guy has the right attitudes..All the best...Noel in Australia  
skyeking

68scott385 68scott385
Guru | Posts: 1990 | Joined: 10/09
11:12 PM

Hey DevilDog, you in Arizona? Just buy this car? Is it beige?

In Dave's first post he hit the nail on the head...depending on what parts where used there could be a huge variance in hp/tq curves even with the same heads. Take my 385 for instance, the one in my avatar, that was a $4K build in 1998 and that was middle of the road then. I've had two cams in it. One was lumpy (234/244 @ .050 w/ .448/.510 lift) and sounded real good at idle but needed a lose convertor and tall gears or it was a total dog until 2500rpm. Once it hit 2500rpm you could literally feel it make more power as it came up on the cam. The second cam (240/214 @ .050 w/ .420/.442 lift) is an rv cam but in a car with a tight convertor and 3.08 gears it's got the low rpm grunt to get off the line and be more enjoyable to drive. With the big cam if put out an estimated 425hp at the flywheel but not very much torque while the smaller cam makes an estimated 360hp but gobs more torque than the bigger cam.

Since the motor has been sitting for some time I would put a few drops of oil in each cylinder, change the oil & filter, use an oil priming tool of some sort to get the oil circulating throughout the engine, then turn the motor over by hand or wrench/ratchet on the crank bolt without the plugs in it. The few drops of oil in the cylinders is to help lubricate the rings and cylinder walls to keep things from get scratched or galled. Then I'd double check the valve adjustment, do a compression test, then maybe a leak-down test depending what the compression test showed.

Good Luck with your new toy and Happy 238th Birthday.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

usmcsgt17 usmcsgt17
Posted: 11/18/13
06:06 PM

SEMPER! Yes  im in Yuma Arizona.. yes I just bought the tempest about a month ago...no I don't think it qualifies as beige...unless you catch the glare from the dust on it just right! its rusty black..I will definitely drop some oil in it and hand crank  to lube it up ..good advise thanks..as far as the cam talk still learning. Im assuming the cam that is in this engine is going to be a torquey one huh? since it was planned for offroad style driving?