Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

MSD Wiring

nickh09 nickh09
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/20/13
05:54 PM

Hey Guys,

I'm working on swapping a 350 into my wheeling rig, and I do not have much of the stock harness left, and no computer from the donor truck. A few people have told me I can run a MSD Setup without a stock computer and just make sure I have Fuel, Ignition, and power to my necessities (starter, alt, etc). If anyone has done so, can someone help me out with what MSD parts I will need.

Thanks
Nick  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 197 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/20/13
07:22 PM

more info might be helpful

there are a few motors that are not easily reverted away from electronics...

so... truck year and model

and engine year and donor engine model...

more info gets you a better answer....

you may be amazed at what you get at least from me as a reply..  

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/21/13
09:40 PM

Hi Wayne.>>>>>  
skyeking

wayne712222 wayne712222
Posted: 10/21/13
10:40 PM

hi.. skyking..

this might help this fellow....

cover all bases..
http://msdignition.com/product.aspx?id=15603&terms=9615

MSDWDTN

i just keep thinking about my friend steve.. the night gregs vega would not shut off..

and while greg and i talked about how to shut down this thumping small block in this vega...  steve said.. i'll just pull the coil wire..  and before we could stop him..  he reached across the fiberglass front fenders and grabbed the coil wire at its mid point and ripped...  well it was attached to a mallory pro coil.. so its not coming loose there without a screw driver .. so it came out the top of the cap..

the motor was idling at about 1800 RPMs.. it was a 383 stroker small block chevy..

the ignition system was a MSD 7AL..  let me tell you . his hand looked like he had on michael jacksons glove..  he hand was all covered in a blue layer of electrons..  he just stood and shook while the engine slowly came to a stop..

funny.. he said he was ok and that it did not hurt.. but he would not do it again for the other 200 people that were there that night..  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2218 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 10/22/13
09:16 AM

Wow, I had a 7AL with the recommended coil in my last 2 race cars and those would send out a lightning bolt of about 6-10 inches if I pulled it to check to ground. Steve is lucky it did not do any permanent damage or kill him. Did not hurt, BULL. I sure would not like to get hit with one of those lightning bolts let alone a bunch of them.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

zman123 zman123
Enthusiast | Posts: 531 | Joined: 06/08
02:53 PM

I did the MSD Atomic Injection swap into my 69 Malibu a few months ago. You can see my thread on here along with what few issues I did run into. Just search for MSD Atomic Injection on here.  

zman123 zman123
Enthusiast | Posts: 531 | Joined: 06/08
02:56 PM

Or, You can go straight to the MSD website to look up the wiring diagrams  

wayne712222 wayne712222
10:42 PM

I think Steve was saved because of the light weight fiberglass fenders that were non conductive. Or as we had all practiced snot leaning on the fiberglass.  The corona only a came up to his wrist so the throttle cable casing got it.

Now I am going to have to find a 7AL for backyard experiments. Darn I lost my cast iron snap on distributor machine last year so I will have to power drill a distributor

Perhaps make a Jacobs ladder

I always wanted a short pair of antenna for the Jacobs ladder effect while the car alarm is ringing