Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Chevrolet Bel Air HELP!

seglare seglare
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/14/13
06:36 AM

Hi All,

I am writing about this classic model, the 1955 Chevrolet Bel Air.
Could you help me by providing information about this car?
I need only basic things, mostly the engine specifications. It is quite difficult to find authentic information about classic cars. So, this is the reason I am asking for your help.
I would need the following specs:

- place of production/assembly
- the time/period when the model was in production
- displacement /ccm/
- number of cylinders
- performance /HP/
- average fuel consumption
- top speed

Hope you understand my situation. You can find information on these specs on the internet but unfortunately it is difficult to find out which one refers the best to the original and authentic values.
Thank you in advance!  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2225 | Joined: 07/08
02:09 PM

In my younger days I had many a 55 Chevy. Several were drag cars.
I will give you what I remember from long ago. They came in both a
235 cubic inch straight 6 and the then brand new and now a classic
small block V-8 of 265 cubic inches. The V-8 was rated at 165hp when
equipped with a 2 barrel carburetor. The 4 barrel version was rated
at 180hp. The 6 was rated at 135. I ran my stock 165hp standard shift
version in the 1/8th mile and it ran 11.0 at 62 mph. That would indicate
a 0-60 time of about 10.5-10.7 seconds and a 1/4 mile time in the low 17
second range. I cared little about fuel consumption in those days but
if I kept my foot out of it it got about 18mpg when it was stock. Never
tried for any top speed runs but it would surely hit 100mph and maybe a
little more. In those days the model year actually started in January and ended in December. Now a days they come out with next years cars in the middle of the previous year????? Everything was made in this country back then. Made in Japan was a joke....
In my opinion they were one of the best cars ever made for looks especially.
The little ugly junk they make today cannot hold a candle to the cars of that era.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

Dave632 Dave632
02:09 PM

In my younger days I had many a 55 Chevy. Several were drag cars.
I will give you what I remember from long ago. They came in both a
235 cubic inch straight 6 and the then brand new and now a classic
small block V-8 of 265 cubic inches. The V-8 was rated at 165hp when
equipped with a 2 barrel carburetor. The 4 barrel version was rated
at 180hp. The 6 was rated at 135. I ran my stock 165hp standard shift
version in the 1/8th mile and it ran 11.0 at 62 mph. That would indicate
a 0-60 time of about 10.5-10.7 seconds and a 1/4 mile time in the low 17
second range. I cared little about fuel consumption in those days but
if I kept my foot out of it it got about 18mpg when it was stock. Never
tried for any top speed runs but it would surely hit 100mph and maybe a
little more. In those days the model year actually started in January and ended in December. Now a days they come out with next years cars in the middle of the previous year????? Everything was made in this country back then. Made in Japan was a joke....
In my opinion they were one of the best cars ever made for looks especially.
The little ugly junk they make today cannot hold a candle to the cars of that era.  

seglare seglare
Posted: 10/16/13
03:13 AM

Thank you for the reply!

I was looking for a committed man like you.  :-)
I have some specs and not really sure in their genuineness. Can you tell me are they right data or not, and can you guess/recognise the car/type from them?  I mean which Bel Air could it be.

4342 ccm  /265 cubic inches/
V8
151 HP
170 km/h  /105 mph/  

Dave632 Dave632
Posted: 10/16/13
05:22 PM

The V8 and 265 cubic inches is correct, so is the cc rating. The 151 hp is wrong and I believe the original hp rating was 162 not the 165 I originally stated. It has been a long time since I paid much attention to stock 55 Chevy ratings. Even when I had my first one, way back when, I modified the engine right away. Eventually running high 12 second 1/4 miles  which was rocket fast in those days.
The top speed could very well be right. The original engine was probably under rated as they were able to dominate the stock drag racing classes back then. Since those classes were made by dividing advertised hp by vehicle weight. The lower than actual rating made for a class winner. I remember beating cars with supposedly much higher hp with my stock 55. I was even able to beat motor cycles of the time with it.  

seglare seglare
Posted: 10/17/13
07:11 AM

Thanks for this.  Now I know that I have two specs which are right.  :-)
You know, I'm not a Chevy expert, never had any so it's a bit difficult for me to navigate in the Chevy scene. To find and identify cars or models is something quite challenging for me.  
It's interesting that in spite of there are a lot of people in the World who are committed to a brand/type there aren't a useful list of these cars and of their specs.
It is something should be done I think.  You can find information easier on the right oil pressure or about any kind of valve setup than on the real/official performance of the certain car!  Can you imagine a situation when you and other enthusiasts are talking about your wished car and there aren't anyone who can tell you the official performance or displacement of the car?!  I can't!  I know everything about my favorite car including the diameter of the rims, the exact name and code of the paint, the name of the chief designer, the engine restrictions and how to dissolve it, everything.  
We collect information on many cars from every corner of the World and experienced the same everywhere: No exact and/or authentic history writings. Almost every sources stating different information.  That's why I'm happy to find you. You can provide information which are based on your own experience.  It's just came to my mind, is there any yearbook which contains this Bel Air maybe?  :-)
Thank you for your help again!  I'm thankful for this!  

Dave632 Dave632
Posted: 10/17/13
12:50 PM

I do not know of any yearbook that contains this information.
I looked at one site that mentioned the 55 Chevy and the first V8 for that car and they erroneously stated that the hp was 110. I have no idea where they got that from as even the 6 from that year had a higher hp rating.
As time goes by information is lost or forgotten. Currently I know a lot more about the cars from the 50s than I do about any of the new cars, most of which I hate.
Here is an old ad you might like: just copy and paste it into your browser.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_6EklxiPn0  

seglare seglare
Posted: 10/18/13
05:50 AM

110 HP can't be true!  I don't believe that!  Ask him how can he prove that?  :-)
This ad is great! Thanks!  :-)