350 CHEVY OIL DIPSTICK TUBE

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

350 CHEVY OIL DIPSTICK TUBE

THEMUTT62 THEMUTT62
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/05/13
08:37 PM

I HAVE A 1985 BUICK REGAL THAT HAD A SUPPOSED 1971 CHEVY 350 IN IT,DOWN WHERE THE DIPSTICK GOES INTO THE BLOCK THERE IS A BOLT. THE GUY I GOT THE CAR FROM SILICONED THE DIPSTICK INTO THE BLOCK N I'M SURE THATS NOT THE WAY TO DO IT. MY QUESTION IS, ON THE EARLY 70'S CHEVY 350'S AREN'T THEY BOLTED INTO THE BLOCK WITH A TYPE OF U CLAMP & BOLT?OR R THEY JUST PRESSED OR POUNDED IN WITH A HAMMER? I NEED TO GET THE RT DIPSTICK IN SO IT QUITS BLOWING OIL PAST THE DIPSTICK TUBE N SILICONE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 195 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/05/13
09:16 PM

chevy motors have dipsticks in various locations..

some on the right side... later blocks.. after the change. 80 up..

some on the left side..  up till around 79

some goodwrench blocks have them on both sides..  

all the dip sticks are pressed into the block..  once they have been in and out a few times.. there just is not a lot left to grip the block.

how the bolt in the dipstick hole is attached????

so is your dip stick on the right or the left side??

do you have a PCV valve in one valve cover and a breather in the other..

so that there cannot be over ONE pound of crankcase pressure under most driving conditions..

i have a friend with a honda.. he blocked off all passages..   he started blowing out cam and aux shaft seals.. he put super weather strip sealer on them.. then he blew out the rear main seal..

he then talked to somebody who said.. put a vacuum sump system on it..

this time he pulled the seals in..  even with them glued... so i found some flanged seals in those sizes...  he glued them in this time.. last time he only said he had glued them in..

i put his vacuum gauge that reads from 30 inches of vacuum to 15 pounds of pressure on a valve cover fitting..  he could build over 10 pounds of pressure in the crankcase. and when he had the vacuum sump hooked up.. he could build over 15 inches of vacuum ..

one should not build over 1 pound of pressure..

if you have blocked the breather... blocked the PCV..  have excessive blowby because of ring damage or piston/bore damage.. you could have so much blowby that the PCV and breather system cannot handle it..  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2217 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 10/06/13
06:11 AM

That's a good post on crankcase pressure. I used to run a vacuum pump on my race motors and it was good for about a tenth or so of lower ET and no oil leaks. The pressure build up in a race motor seems to be very high especially at high rpms, even with valve cover breathers in place I would get oil leaks until I installed a vacuum pump.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

THEMUTT62 THEMUTT62
Posted: 10/09/13
01:48 PM

MY DIPSTICK N MY PCV IS ON PASS. SIDE.IT APPEARS TO B THE PRESS IN TYPE OF DIPSTICK TUBE.ONLY ISSUE I HAVE NOW IS I KNOW HE PUT WRONG DIPSTICK TUBE IN CAUSE HE SILICONED IT TO BLOCK BUT NEW TUBE I GOT FROM SUMMIT RACING IS SO SHORT THAT I DONT THINK I CAN USE IT BECAUSE OF HEADERS. AS FOR THE BOLT DOWN THERE I HAVE NO IDEA Y THATS THERE.GONNA PROBABLY HAVE TO HAVE SOMEONE MACHINE ME UP A LONGER TUBE THEN FIND RT LENGTH DIPSTICK FOR IT.TRYING TO DO THIS WITH 1 LEG IS HARD ON ME SO I'LL SAVE THAT FOR ANOTHER DAY. THNX FOR UR RESPONSES.  

THEMUTT62 THEMUTT62
Posted: 10/12/13
06:46 PM

UDATE;I TRIED TO PUT NEW DIPSTICK TUBE IN BLOCK AFTER REMOVING STARTER TO GET TO IT BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THE NEW TUBE IS BIGGER IN DIAMETER N WONT GO IN HOLE,BESIDES IT BEING SO SHORT I'D HAVE TO HAVE HELP FROM ABOVE WHILE I TRY TO LINE IT UP W HOLE. ANYBODY GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS WHERE I CAN GET 1 FOR THIS ENG. BUT W A LONGER TUBE SO IT CAN B A 1 MAN JOB?  

THEMUTT62 THEMUTT62
Posted: 10/12/13
07:01 PM

NOW IM CONFUSED, EVERY DIPSTICK I LOOKED UP ON SUMMIT SAYS FROM 79 UP IS ON PASS. SIDE N 79 N EARLIER WHICH IS WHAT I WAS TOLD IT WAS A 71 ENG. IS ON DRIVERS SIDE.MINE IS ON PASS, SIDE SO I GUESS HE LIED, NOW WHERE DO I FIND THE CASTING #'S TO DETERMINE WHAT YR IT IS, CAN ANYONE HELP?  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 195 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/13/13
12:20 AM

block casting number is on the back of the block .. viewed from above just in front of where the transmission bolts on...

drivers side front of the block.. deck surface infront of the cylinder head is a pair of stamping numbers..

post these..

one will be LARGER THAN the other. the LARGER number is the BUILD Code..  

the smaller number is the partial vin that was marked when the engine was set into the car on the assembly line.. so the engine matches the car vin...