Power Glide potential

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Power Glide potential

MrFlorida MrFlorida
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/25/13
12:42 PM

I have a question hoping i can gain some knowledge  or even a little light shined on the matter from you guys. I have a powerglide transmission and i am told it is the heavier duty powerglide but what i am asking you guys is will the transmission hold up to a 454 630+ hp or am i better just going a diffrent route. Thanks in advance.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
Enthusiast | Posts: 251 | Joined: 03/13
03:23 PM

power glides can be built to take several THOUSAND horse power..

there are all kinds of parts including several different aftermarket cases....

a bone stock powerglide will not last long behind that much power if you attempt to get into it...  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2226 | Joined: 07/08
04:54 PM

If you have the 1.76 powerglide which has the HD planetary  all you will need is a heavy duty clutch pack.
I ran such a glide and it lasted up until I hit it with 800 hp and this included a 200 shot of nitrous which usually adds more bottom end torque. I was also stalling at about 5000 and had 16" slicks on that particular car. I took out the Planetary on that trans.
Later on I went to an aftermarket case and innards which as stated will handle much more. I did have a brass thrust bearing failure there but that could have been caused by the stock flex plate which was moving under extreme power. I was running well over a thousand hp with that engine/trans combo and it would make about 50-60 passes before the clutches needed changing.
Will this be strictly for drag racing or are you street driving it? For the street and only occasional track trips you should be fine  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

MrFlorida MrFlorida
New User | Posts: 15 | Joined: 04/13
07:53 PM

This will be for street purposes n occasional track time. Any idea where i could get the reinforcement kit that you mention dave632  thanks  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2226 | Joined: 07/08
09:54 PM

I had a transmission guy that rebuilt my  racing trans for almost 20 years.
I would look at Summit or Jegs as I am sure they will have the HD clutch and steel packs. Most racing transmission companies such as ATI or JW among others would also be able to supply these clutches. I had to change these often but on a street and occasional strip car you would not have to change these often. You will also want them to install a shift kit so you can have firmer quicker shifts.
In my opinion the HD glide is the strongest stock automatic built. The fact that it is still one of the most popular trans at the drag strip speaks for itself.
You are going to need someone to install these unless you have transmission experience.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]