89 Volo 240 350 5-speed

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

89 Volo 240 350 5-speed

67Delmont 67Delmont
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 09/07/13
02:26 PM

Hello i have a 89 240 that i am installing a 350 with a 87 camaro 5-speed. I used a JTR crossmember for the motor had to fab. transmission mount. I used a older model bellhousing with a mechanical clutch. I used the factory volvo clutch pedal and cable. The factory camaro bellhousing set's the trans. on an angle. The bellhousing i used set's it straight. Somepeople have told me this will hurt the trans. Is there any truth to this?  

zman123 zman123
Enthusiast | Posts: 531 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 09/08/13
08:42 AM

As long as there is no bind (misallignment) in the drivetrain you should have no problem. this includes the allignment between the engine to clutch to input shaft on the tranny and allignment of transmission to bell housing.  

67Delmont 67Delmont
11:20 AM

No misalignment, took forever to get driveshaft angle right. Sompeople have told me that where the trans is designed to set on an angle and if i run it straight the fluid will set in a different spot and burn the trans up. Guess i'll find out almost got it back together should run like a raped ape.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
Enthusiast | Posts: 251 | Joined: 03/13
11:28 AM

as long as there is significant fluid in the transmission.. it will be properly lubed...

the gear lube is wrapped up around the counter gear.. spread onto the main shaft gears..  pushed between the gears in some areas to lube the bearings or shaft to gear areas...

its usually a splash lube on the input and output ball bearings..

as long as its at the bottom of the fill hole.. you should be OK>.

please also pay attention to which fluid is specified for that transmission..

i forgot to look what it was..

some manual transmissions use dextron automatic transmission fluid because of the paper lined syncros..

some of the newer GM manual transmission use a special synthetic transmission lube. i forgot the name of it..

the rest .. have tended to use 30 weight non detergent motor oil ...

instead of gear lube..  what.. yep... gear lube is nice and thick.. but cannot get to the inner sets of needle bearings down in the cluster gear on some transmissions..

just a few thoughts...  

67Delmont 67Delmont
12:18 PM

Thank's for info it had ATF in it when i pulled at local pull a part. I'll check around to make sure that's what it takes.