dash Lights and speaker problem?

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

dash Lights and speaker problem?

concrete7 concrete7
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 04/12/13
05:23 AM

Have a 1990 K1500 chevy and when I turn on the parking lights or full light package the dash lights will not work. There was a loose wire going to the factory equalizer that was shorting,that seem to fix the dash lights now the right rear speaker is popping and cracking like it is blowen put new speaker in and it is still doing it. I am at a loss! any ideas  

waynep712222 waynep712222
Enthusiast | Posts: 251 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 04/12/13
10:20 PM

i don't have a lot of data on factory stereo systems...

i will look around over the next day or so.. see what i can find..

there have been a LOT of issues with loose or shorting wires causing problems in stereo amps..

i won't tell you how in the late 60s.. KPFK in los angeles blew up peoples home stereo units one night..   there were dozens of calls on the switch board.. what did you guys do..  i was listening to the xyz show...  and all of a sudden .. my stereo started loudly  thumping and it blew out..

a loose or shorted wire could and probably did damage the various components..

was it a ground that was loose????

do you own a digital volt meter so i can have you run some tests???

i don't know where the audio system grounds at... or where it gets its power from..  yet..

1990Chevytruckaudiosystem Zps0cdc7f97

the instrument  cluster grounds where bolt #13 is shown below... i cannot identify the Exact location of where that is under the drivers end of the dashboard..

1990Chevyc1500clusterharness Zpsb5dfd957

if you have a bad ground.. you will have popping.. as the electrons flow from Negative to positive...  the intermittent electron inrush will effect your audio system.. in weird ways..

there are various ground cable connections... under the hood..

one from the negative battery post to the engine and a small one to the inner fender area...

one from the engine to the body usually at the firewall..

one from the frame to the body... this is under the passenger side of the truck at the first cab body mount..

let me know if you have a hand held..digital volt meter...

and if you know how to solder circuit boards..  or actually resolder circuit boards..  

concrete7 concrete7
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 04/14/13
06:03 AM

Thanks for the info. I think you are right could be a ground wire loose.