1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Advice on Build

mr_han_solo mr_han_solo
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/19/13
05:35 PM

Hello,

I am wanting to build a 350CI Gen1 Small Block Chevy for my 260Z SCCA car. Now I have been through the rule book and realize that this engine will put me in a totally different class where I will have to spend a lot of time and money to ever be competitive. However, after reading some things this seems to be a swap that a lot of people do. My plan is to build the engine and mate it to a built t-5 transmission. I am a college student, so this is something I am trying to do on a low budget per the winter. Honestly, I know that I am going to be investing some money in this project so I am prepared for that aspect of things, I just don't want it to get out of control.

As for the engine I already have the four bolt main block. As I previously stated my goal is to build this engine for SCCA as the 260 is my SCCA car. In my mind I'm wanting to do a DZ302 homage with the 350. I am already looking into a cross ram setup, and as my primary goal is autocross and club racing, I am wanting something that makes power in the high rpm range. However, I also want to be able to drive the car to the events so running on 93 octane is a must. I have purchased several books (How to hotrod your small block, how to rebuild a small block, smokey yunick's power secrets, etc.) and have been reading them to familiarize myself with this project.

As I previously stated I already have a block and a forged crank. I have been looking at some heads and that's where my questions come in. The heads I'm looking at are aluminum (to keep weight down) and made by Procomp. Now I know that I'm going to get some crap for going with the cheap pro comp heads. I've done a ton of reading on them and read that some people hate them and others like them. Is it the cheap route? Yes. However, I have talked to a (fairly) local guy who does head work and he assures me that he has worked on pro comps before and can get some pretty good flow numbers out of them. I have checked with some references and I do trust his word. That said, I am lost on intake runner size. Pro comp offers them in 190, 200, and 210 sizes. I have already settled on getting the angled plugs over the straight. I'm just needing to know what intake runner size is best for my build. Hoping someone here can help me out.

Thanks,

Han  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Addict | Posts: 2337 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 08/22/13
05:40 AM

i think i see your dilema?     you want a good flowing head for high RPM power while racing, but want to be able to drive it on the street?     probably gonna have the same dilema about choosing a cam too?  
  you have a forged 302 crank already?  

mr_han_solo mr_han_solo
11:12 AM

Yes, that is my dilemma.

I'm going to build a 350 not a 302 so I don't need the forged 302 crank. I do have the forged 350 crank though.  

mr_han_solo mr_han_solo
11:15 AM

Yes, that is my dilemma.

I'm going to build a 350 not a 302 so I don't need the forged 302 crank. I do have the forged 350 crank though.  

74CamaroLS1 74CamaroLS1
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 08/13
02:44 PM

Why wouldn't you be able to drive it on the street? I know plenty of people with 11 second cars that commute in them...  

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 08/23/13
05:19 PM

Hi there,
  If it were mine I would go for 190 MAX!!
 Good luck with the fun machine...Skyeking.  
skyeking

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 08/25/13
08:59 AM

It's about FLOW The bigger the Hole the Slower a measured amount of Air will move through it, a 350 moves more than a 302 but think like this. on the street you want a flow that works at lower RPM's and you are pulling through a Crossram intake(lucky you)and that is just a tunnel ram side by side so air slows WAY down. If the engine ran in the proper Range for that Intake(5000-8000) it would be 200's made to look real pretty. In 69-70 we had a few SCCA cars A Greenwood 68 Vette/a D/prod Yenko Stinger(Corvair) a H/prod Fiat Abarth ZAGATO. That is like Forever Ago....   But Hey you could run a couple 350cfm carbs around town and swap to 500's at the track, and really May not Have to swap at All.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
09:07 AM

and the crossbreed car you are talking about doing was called a 'Scarab' lots of work has been done over the years so look around the net and U-tube it can save making mistakes and that is PRICELESS  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2220 | Joined: 07/08
01:51 PM

It has always been a problem for anyone who wants to run a car on the street and the track. It is always a compromise. I went strictly race or street many years ago. Consequently my street cars were tame and my race cars were quick.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

skyeking skyeking
04:51 PM

Hi there,
 You could assimilate Ghevy's idea of yesreryear
 and use 2x4 465 4 barrel secondaties for all
 round torque and power.  in those days they used
 WCFB 460 or 500s...265 0r 283n motors.
 Plenty of choices One goal to achieve..Yours!!!  
skyeking

mr_han_solo mr_han_solo
Posted: 08/26/13
05:15 PM

Well I realized that there is not need to drop a ton of money on aluminum heads when all I have to gain with this is a loss of 50 lbs. Instead I have been scouring the local car yards looking for 062 L31 Vortec Heads.I will have to modify the heads for the crossram intake, but from everything I have read these heads are plenty good for what I'm wanting to do. I have bought a set of lt1 (1993-1996) powdered metal connecting rods. So it's starting to come together.

I'm also looking at getting a pair of 9776 450CFM Holley Carbs for the cross-ram.  

skyeking skyeking
Posted: 08/27/13
05:08 PM

Hi there,
 My searching experience for a X ram Showed that a single
 centrally mounted carb on that design manifold with do
 the same work which is a disappointment..I remember the
 Dyno tests that were published many years ago showed no
 gain until the end of the cams which ain't no good for
 enjoyable driving.
  Smokey Yunick used an Edelbrock 2 X 4 manifold with the
 Holleys altered with bowls faced inwards..You would need
 a Photo to clearly comprehend the Master's results which
 worked. Forget the Offenhauser/ Edelbrock?? X ram.. Skyeking  
skyeking

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 08/28/13
07:42 PM

Icon Quoteskyeking:
Hi there,
 My searching experience for a X ram Showed that a single
 centrally mounted carb on that design manifold with do
 the same work which is a disappointment..I remember the
 Dyno tests that were published many years ago showed no
 gain until the end of the cams which ain't no good for
 enjoyable driving.
  Smokey Yunick used an Edelbrock 2 X 4 manifold with the
 Holleys altered with bowls faced inwards..You would need
 a Photo to clearly comprehend the Master's results which
 worked. Forget the Offenhauser/ Edelbrock?? X ram.. Skyeking

was just looking at a Mail in to Car Craft(this Month) and it touched on carb size with this Intake, See if you can find a copy and read it  

mr_han_solo mr_han_solo
Posted: 08/29/13
09:06 AM

Can you tell me what page it is on? I want out and got the issue (October 2013 is what's on the newsstand here) and I didn't see it.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 08/29/13
02:31 PM

October Already, My Bad, this one is in August issue(had mine about 2 weeks)Pg.43 but Pg. not numbered, In Jeffro's ask anyting column  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last