contaminated rebuild

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

contaminated rebuild

aoehero aoehero
New User | Posts: 9 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 03/01/13
08:22 AM

I need some advice. I bought a crate motor that had sat for some time with an open valley. There appears to be some grit in the valley that feels like sand or rust that was loosened and then oiled so it ran into the galleys. What short of tear down can I do to save the fresh build? Is there are a short cut to open the galley plugs and wash them out????  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
09:54 AM

you can tear it down now..

or you can tear it down later after everything is damaged by the debris...

requiring new bearings...

machining and rebalancing the crank..

another set of rings and perhaps pistons and a rebore...

replacing the oil pump... as its going to be filled with debris.

or... tear it down now.... when everything is fresh and can be reused except the gaskets...

take your chance...   make your choice...

how much was your investment??

you might also want to shake out the intake ports with the valves closed.. make sure that there is no grit down in the intake port..  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
10:25 AM

aoehero welcpme to CHP:
+1 Wayne:

The only way to make sure is to to tear it
down now. There is NO Way of telling what
or where the grit went.

If it has never been run only stored then I
would do the following. You didn't mention
if the engine was ever run?

Don't forget to mark the rods, and the main bearing caps with their correct positions. I like using an electric etcher. I really don't like hitting a rod cap, or main bearing cap with a Metal Die Stamp.

1.Tear it down, remove the cam bearings, freeze plugs, and all oil galley plugs
including the one under the rear main bearing/thrust bearing cap.

2.If you to want to deburr the engine nows a good time.

3.Tear the oil pump apart including the relief valve and spring, Metal particles like to hide in there.

4.Have the engine boiled, and then check the cylinders bores for out of round.

5.Check the cam and lifters very close for any pitting. The way cams are wearing out today is a big concern.

6.Make sure on the rebuild you reinstall the plug under the rear main bearing/thrust bearing cap.

7.I would have the engine rebalanced (Only if you want) this is what I would ***
8.Just replace the parts that need replacing. Good Luck...

Bob  

aoehero aoehero
12:35 PM

Thank both of you. No the engine has never been run nor had a manifold bolted to it. It does sound like a stupid question once you write it down, then broadcast it. I'm thinking I'm going to tear it down but now how far. I dont believe grit got into the head and cylinder area. But I am concerned about the mains and cam bearings. Looking at oil flow and gravity of grit, do I need to tear it all the way down, pull the galley plugs and send it back to hot tanking or can i be a tight wad and pull the crank and cam and blow/wash the block? As far as I can figure the oil galley are a direct feed to the crank bearings, I am not so sure about the feed to the cams. as there was never oil pressure applied to the motor to wash grit around.Trying to keep in mind it is a new never started block.  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2217 | Joined: 07/08
07:23 PM

That is good advice.
It is much easier to tear it down now vs. later. Even if you find no problems at least you will have peace of mind when you first fire it up.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

aoehero aoehero
Posted: 03/02/13
12:30 PM

Thanks again guys! After reading the sticky "ten reasons cams Fail" and tearing down the motor, the cam bearings took a pretty big hit. They were scratched pretty bad from  the motor turning after it had sat. A lot of the grease had hardened in places and the oil filter boss was rusted pretty good. I would have never looked until I turned the block over again. The good news!!!!! is the block is 30 over, balanced and blueprinted. Grin  Grin  Grin  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2217 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 03/02/13
06:03 PM

Sounds like a winner.
Now you will feel a lot better when you first fire it up.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]