Pre-Lube Without Removal of Distributor

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Pre-Lube Without Removal of Distributor

jimmygmartin jimmygmartin
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/24/13
09:14 AM

I have a 383 with a Comp Mechanical Roller Cam and Endurex Lifters.  It has sat for about 2 years.  I've been in this situation before and usually pull the Dist. and Pre-lube, but this time around I prefer not to mess with the timing, as it is always a pain optimizing this aspect of tuning.  Accumulators serve this purpose, does anyone have any suggestions?  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
11:39 AM

if you are not starting with a DRY oil system and filter..

disable the ignition system so you can crank the engine for 10 seconds then stop..

wait 30 seconds and crank another 10 seconds... you should have oil pressure now..

reconnect the ignition system and start the engine... you should have instant oil pressure..

if you are working on a engine that has not been primed.. disable the ignition system.. remove the oil filter... crank the engine until you get oil flow out of where the filter mounts..

screw the filter back on.. crank for 10 seconds more..

reconnect the ignition system and start the engine...

this should get you as much oil as possible..

you can crank the engine for longer when the oil pressure starts to build with the ignition system disabled..   just don't overheat the starter...  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2218 | Joined: 07/08
03:49 PM

+1.
You also need to pull your spark plugs when doing this so the engine cranks easier.
I have done this with some of my milder engine builds with good results. I had pre lube on all the bearings and cam of course. I was normally able to get over 20 lbs. of oil pressure with this method.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
05:01 PM

+2 Thats about the psi you will get that way.

If you are worried about diturbing the timing. Just purchase an oil pump priming tool or make one from an old distributor. Then just pull the distributor body up. Use a 1/2" drill or one that will survive.

Then spin the drill motor let it sit a couple minutes. This lets the air bleed out of the internal oil system. You should be able to hear the air. Then do this a few times each time run the drill longer. (Just a Note) if you do it this way and you get No resistence on the drill, then reverse the direction of the drill.

Then reinstall the distributor. Fire it up.

Bob  

busterrm2013 busterrm2013
New User | Posts: 46 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/09/13
11:35 PM

I use a old distributor, cut the top off, had the cam gear machined off and just bolt it in and just spin it until I see oil on the passenger side then drivers side rockers.  

busterrm2013 busterrm2013
New User | Posts: 46 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/09/13
11:35 PM

I use a old distributor, cut the top off, had the cam gear machined off and just bolt it in and just spin it until I see oil on the passenger side then drivers side rockers.