Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

3800 S-10?

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5117 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 02/16/13
09:32 AM

Sorry this isn't a juicy post about a 999 HP cam selection for an aluminum Rat engine, but this is all I got-

My FWD daily driver (99 Grand Prix) got sideswiped a few weeks back and it turned over 170K miles today. Wreck money is now in the bank and researching my next move has begun. I have my powerful weekend car (69 Grand Prix) but have been without a pickup for too many years now, its a real thorn in my paw not having something with a bed. Damn yeah I miss the El Camino! Makes projects more trouble, y'know? Only really have room to park two rides, and drive too far to work to get less than 20 MPG in town.

The Series II 3800 (non-supercharged, 200 HP, 225 TQ) has served me very well since 2009. I like it. The only time you could get one in an S-10 was the 92-3 Cylone deal where it used a Buick GN turbo setup, but I don't want all that warmed over 80s era crap nor do I want to use premium gas. But I prefer the non-airbag S-10 /S-15 for style and other reasons.

The rear wheel drive version of the L36 3800 V6, as found in plain 96-up Camaro / Firebird with a five speed standard trans should be readily available fairly cheap at the boneyard or in a wrecked car. I want to stick that in a first gen S-10 to drive every day, the intent being improve power and economy over what was available in any factory made S-10. I know I'd have a little too much money in it but all the gas hoggin Gen1 SBC S-10 guys do too. The rest of the S-10 guys suffer with the 2.8s and 4.3 V6s which aren't all that powerful or efficient.

What do you think? Pros /Cons anyone? The V6 ought to fit easy, and the existing radiator and rearend could work ...  
idrivejunk

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2217 | Joined: 07/08
09:54 AM

I have an S 10 with the 4.3 V 6 in it.
It has been a good little truck with few problems. It gets about 15 in town and 20 on the hwy. It runs pretty good but it is no drag car. It will beat most of those little junk imports however.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Addict | Posts: 2337 | Joined: 03/10
10:00 AM

Matt, thats a creative idea.   ill bet you could find a running v-6 camaro around that year fairly cheap.  junk or part it out when your done raping it.     wouldnt be that hard to stuff in there.   the only con i see is dealing with the VATS system.   im not real sure how to get around that?   probably Waynes territory?  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
10:02 AM

Yeah I like the 4.3 ones too, but the gas mileage just ain't there. The second gen has a good MPG four banger that feels like a 4.3 with a couple mods, but I just like the boxy S10 bodies better. What year is yours, Dave? I know they will lay down a wicked second gear scratch even with the ... what is it, 700R4?  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk idrivejunk
10:12 AM

Ah, Joe! Thanks and yep, theres a place that you can send your computer to and have all the necessary mods done and un-necessary wires eliminated. That doesn't cost too much and it would definitely be part of the swap. I could use a supercharged one for 40 more HP but of course firewall clearance comes into play with the roots huffer on top, and premium gas is required. Plus a 1 MPG loss. Modding Camaro mounts should set it in there exactly where I want it, either way. Using a Camaro flywheel I could probably keep the 5 speed and clutch, but I'm not so sure I wouldn't want an automatic trans. I'd be going from TBI to multiport though, so fuel pump and system may have to be modified. The real trick would be to use the FWD 3800 I have in my junk, there are minor differences. I have my eye on a couple S-10s with known history so I am pondering on this, not to be different but just to meet my needs when theres not something stock that will!  
idrivejunk

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Addict | Posts: 2337 | Joined: 03/10
10:22 AM

thats why i mentioned getting a running camaro.   you could get alot of parts off it.   motor and tranny, driveshaft, computer, vats system maybe with the column and problem solved, fuel tank or pump, wiring harness, fuel lines, bucket seats?, might be able to run the tires and rims but will probably rub up front, pedals, etc.   you know how it goes.    i like the older body styles better too on the s-10s.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
10:38 AM

Oh and Joe, My buddy has a wrecked but low miles and super-rare police Camaro, LT1, six-speed but the drivers front rail is toast, fender, bumper, etc. If we bought the right car we could REALLY rape it good, and send it to the scrapper with a 2.8 or iron duke thrown onto the subframe, lol.

Dave, I didn't mean to imply that you would be suffering to drive a 4.3 S-10, by the way. One of those probably makes the most sense for me too, from a work-vs-result standpoint. Was the 4.3 ever roller-cammed in the first gens? I want to stay away from flat tappets in the future. Those engines have plenty of guts, don't get me wrong. They sound pretty dang good too, and don't leave a trail of rice everywhere. I would definitely drive one but I think the 3800 swap would sip more lightly while having equal or greater power. Don't really want to get into souping either one up, y'know?  
idrivejunk

idrivejunk idrivejunk
10:40 AM

Icon Quoteredneckjoe69:
thats why i mentioned getting a running camaro.   you could get alot of parts off it.   motor and tranny, driveshaft, computer, vats system maybe with the column and problem solved, fuel tank or pump, wiring harness, fuel lines, bucket seats?, might be able to run the tires and rims but will probably rub up front, pedals, etc.   you know how it goes.    i like the older body styles better too on the s-10s.

Exactly. I'm gonna head over to my friend's place and lay the idea on him, he also is a dealer and salvage buyer so if anybody can win at this, its us I reckon!  
idrivejunk

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2217 | Joined: 07/08
01:15 PM

Icon Quoteidrivejunk:
Oh and Joe, My buddy has a wrecked but low miles and super-rare police Camaro, LT1, six-speed but the drivers front rail is toast, fender, bumper, etc. If we bought the right car we could REALLY rape it good, and send it to the scrapper with a 2.8 or iron duke thrown onto the subframe, lol.

Dave, I didn't mean to imply that you would be suffering to drive a 4.3 S-10, by the way. One of those probably makes the most sense for me too, from a work-vs-result standpoint. Was the 4.3 ever roller-cammed in the first gens? I want to stay away from flat tappets in the future. Those engines have plenty of guts, don't get me wrong. They sound pretty dang good too, and don't leave a trail of rice everywhere. I would definitely drive one but I think the 3800 swap would sip more lightly while having equal or greater power. Don't really want to get into souping either one up, y'know?

Compared to the 6.2 03 2500 I had this one does a lot better in the mpg department.
It however will not tow a 24' enclosed trailer like the 2500 could.
My S10 is an 01 and it does tow a 16' open trailer with no trouble. I don't know what kind of cam it has in it as I have never checked. I know they rated it at 200hp.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
02:52 PM

'Comon Idj For 1 MPG you got to get the Blower. there is a v-8 S-10 swap kit on CL here this Morning. Yea get the Boxy Truck. I do see a lot of Camaro/Firebirds with the 3.8 around here But Blown UP(thats why I see Them) So build a Small Cube V-8 with a 350-500cfm 2bbl.   283-327 OR a 302 or a 307  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
05:18 PM

Yep John you're right. Use what they came with or use a V8 kit. My friend just about talked me out of it. I would rather find the right el Camino than V8 an S10, but that defeats the purpose of being cheap enough to drive daily. Maybe I just need a tiny hitch and a pickup bed made into a trailer. I dunno, still searching for the solutions but nothing cheap enough strikes me as cool right now. Moving closer to work would be the smart thing, huh?  
idrivejunk

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 02/17/13
07:58 AM

Don't know how it is for you but Here you don't go ANYWHERE that dosn't take at least 45 mn. there is an ElCamino that I looked at here, a 79-80'ish with the V-6 and the guy had installed a 4-speed Saginaw said he loved it.lot of miles tho and the eng needed a head gasket.  A trailer and Hitch would cost as much as this ElCamino. and here in Ga. if its over 25yrs.old it has Rust Issues so older ones need work,That Said there is a 1970 ElCamino on CL. and a Simi Rare 58 Nomad,that year they had 4 doors but 59&60's were ultra Cool,A friend just sold a 2 door Brookwood Wagon and I love the El's with Fins.  PS Moving Sux  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
09:37 AM

Well, I reckon I'm spoiled and don't want to move. For a decade I drove ten miles or less to work, mostly only a mile or two. Now I have to do twenty each way and its more than sixty stoplights a day, takes about an hour each way. Thats why now I must drive something that does better than 20 MPG in stop and go. Otherwise we're cutting into food money.

My uncle had an 80 ElCo with the Chevy V6 and a three speed on the floor. They are cool and look good but they are just so 80s I can't stand them. Especially the metric ones, who wants to keep both socket sets handy for just one car? My El Camino wish list years are 68, 70, and 73, in that order. Theres a 77 SS 454 here for $4,500 which is too much and going in the wrong direction. An old local bodyman here drives one of those late ECs with the tiny six and giant gears and he probably does OK on gas but yuck. You prolly right about the trailer, if I found the right deal, an EC or S10 would be just as cheap.

I've almost decided to do nothing. Borrow a truck when I need it, and stash wreck cash for when the engine breaks in my driver. Believe me, I would much rather throw down on aluminum heads for the heap big Ponch! First thing I did was explore possibilities of stepping into a high miles late model GTO but they are still too expensive. I am lucky to be able to consider any moves at all!

Thanks for the input guys, and to WayneP for emailing to offer support as well. I was thinking I could toss together a junkyard 3800 S-10 but the truth is there are paths of less resistance, I just gotta wrap my mind around them.  
idrivejunk

68scott385 68scott385
Guru | Posts: 1990 | Joined: 10/09
10:26 AM

Vespa

flame it

just throwing fuel on a fire Smile  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

76Skylark 76Skylark
10:57 AM

Damn Son 30 Lites EACH WAY    I would be Suicidal     We Have 1 in BallGround!!!!!!         But you can bet If I go anywhere Else I Catch them ALL!  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last