Coil springs

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Coil springs

chevelleman63 chevelleman63
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 11/11
Posted: 05/11/13
06:21 AM

I have a 1972 chevelle ss with 350 sb,I plan on installing new front coil springs,can I put in BB coils running a SB engine?I am thinking going with a 454 in future.How will this effect ride,or will I encounter any problems by doing this? Any advice would be appreciated,Thanks.  

68scott385 68scott385
Guru | Posts: 1990 | Joined: 10/09
07:52 AM

You CAN install BB springs in a SB car. The BB spring will have a higher spring rate and likely be taller when not installed. With BB springs in the car and a SB under the hood, the front end will sit higher and may look odd. Without the added weight of the BB on the springs the ride might be somewhat rougher than it is now.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

waynep712222 waynep712222
Enthusiast | Posts: 251 | Joined: 03/13
08:10 AM

there are a LOT of options with A body springs... because of the differences in the many body styles and engines that came in them..

you ride height might be higher than you expect with 454 springs with a small block.

some small blocks weight 575.. some big blocks weigh 685..   adding aluminum intakes and tube headers... may reduce the big block weight to close to that of a small block.. but i have not compared..

please check for frame sag... get a measurement from the inside of the upper control arm mounting bracket to the other on... inside to inside.. next to where the shims fit..

31 and 11/16"  is the dimension for 70 up as i recall..

start with measuring the wire diameter of your existing springs...

see if you can measure the ride height.. end of the frame spring pocket to the top of the lower control arm with the car on the ground. both sides...   if your car is slightly lower than what you want.. you will want to use a floor jack under the center of the cross member to jack it up slightly.. then get a measurement..

you will also want to stop by a truck scale.. and get a front / rear weight and if they are friendly.. get individual wheel weights..  this will help with the calculations you have to get you a proper set of springs..

lastly... be sure that you when installing suspension components.. that they control arm bushing bolts do not get tightened until the car is at final ride height..  or if you can assemble the suspension with the lower control arm at the height you measured previously..   be sure to place a note to torque them on the steering wheel before driving it..

so the bushings will life..  if you have torqued them into  place with the suspension hanging. they will be like this\     instead of -  so when you bring the car down.. you have reached or exceeded their rotational design limits.. when you bottom out the suspension.. it exceed the design limits and the rubber tears then crumbles and you end up needing to change them again...   if you leave the bolts loose.. is also bad.. the sleeve inside the bushing will wear thru the bolt and groove it allowing excess play..  

dond1965 dond1965
Enthusiast | Posts: 294 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/16/13
11:35 AM

Icon Quote68scott385:
You CAN install BB springs in a SB car. The BB spring will have a higher spring rate and likely be taller when not installed. With BB springs in the car and a SB under the hood, the front end will sit higher and may look odd. Without the added weight of the BB on the springs the ride might be somewhat rougher than it is now.

when i was younger i worked in a suspension repair shop. i changed a LOT of coil springs. typically big block type springs are SHORTER than sb type springs, but and its a BIG BUT, the spring wire is ALMOST ALWAYS THICKER, something folks should know. Ooo