Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Flycutting Pistons

bthackrey bthackrey
User | Posts: 56 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 04/22/13
12:27 PM

Hey guys
Anyone ever fly cut their own pistons at home?
Ive heard of people doing it but is there even a "real" tool for doing it yourself?  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2218 | Joined: 07/08
04:26 PM

I guess it is possible but I personally do not know of anyone who tried it on their own.
If you had a lathe and the proper cutting tool I guess you could give it a shot.
You would have to know how much meat there is in the cutting area. I sure would not try it on any valuable piston however.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

waynep712222 waynep712222
Enthusiast | Posts: 251 | Joined: 03/13
10:59 PM

135239D1311365059 Tool Fly Cut Pistons Car S455

Flycuttingprocess2

2011 07 25 12 33 22 964

when i was building my 408 BBC a LONG time ago..  i could not afford the isky tools.. even with them less than 10 miles from where i lived..

i used a cut off wheel and made a angled slot in a 2.19 valve.. bent the lip upward..   carefully sharpened it.. shaped it.. used a low speed 1/2" drill with some lube in the guide and did my own flycutting..   i did have a drill stop ring on the stem.. that i had set with a feeler gauge after i had touched the top of the piston with the cutting edge..

since i had done this with out rings during mock up..  i did notice on one rod.. something strange. when i got to looking at them.. i had dug in too deep on the first cut and it seems i might have bent the rod..   the guy at the machine shop said that he had never seen one bent like that.   he straightened it for me and the motor worked fine..

this is the proper tool to fly cut on a vertical mill..

Standard ABS Piston Fixture

look over at the goodson tools site..  

bthackrey bthackrey
User | Posts: 56 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 04/23/13
08:00 AM

Yeah definitely a risky operation to do on some pricier pistons

Wow, thats pretty awesome though. Cool
I imagine making your own tool was a good bit cheaper than the one theyre selling, but I can understand why. After looking around a little bit I found this guy too, ignore the fact that I had accidently ended up on a ford site...

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/engine-articles/484906-another-technique-piston-notching.html

He uses an extra valve with some 50 grit glued to the bottom and a drill, a feeler gauge and a locking collar for depth.

Thanks for the help guys