transmission will not engage

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

transmission will not engage

ldickersonc ldickersonc
User | Posts: 168 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 04/20/13
01:36 PM

Car idling, i push the clutch in, physically cannot push the tranny into any gear.  I have been lengthening the clutch fork push rod to the point that i think there is something else going on.  I notice when i try to push the tranny into gear, the car moves slightly, very slightly.  I am very concerned i missed something when putting this tranny in.  It is a Tremec 5 speed hooked up to a small block.  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Addict | Posts: 2337 | Joined: 03/10
04:36 PM

are you sure your engaging the throwout bearing?   something dont sound right. Confused  

ldickersonc ldickersonc
07:53 PM

The fork is on the pivot stud, and in the slot on the throwout bearing, I spent a good amount of time with a flashlight and mirror checking it out.  Mind=blown.  

ldickersonc ldickersonc
08:20 PM

Clutch backwards?  

waynep712222 waynep712222
Enthusiast | Posts: 251 | Joined: 03/13
10:34 PM

ok... lets start from the top...

engine off... can you move the gear shift through all the gear positions without any issues????? yes or no?

engine off...    when you depress the clutch pedal... do you feel about 3/4" of free play at the top of the stroke. before the throw out bearing touches the fingers or diaphragm of the clutch cover...

when you move the clutch pedal to the floor.. can you feel the cover resisting movement???

did you have any problem installing the transmission to the back of the block??   i had one fellow ask why his hyundai did not move forward and failed to shift.. he neglected to use a tool to center the clutch disc in the cover.. and because the transmission would not seat properly.. instead of figuring out what was wrong.. he got longer bolts and pulled it together..  yep.. the input shaft was not going thru the clutch cover and not slipping into the pilot bearing... so he shoved the input and main shaft out the back of that transaxle.  he also bent the back of the block and the bell housing..

another shop swapped a 4l60 out and installed a late model 5 speed manual transmission..   this was on a 91 S10 blazer 4.3.. they did not understand the self adjusting feature of the clutch slave on this pull type clutch..  so they made a new push rod for the hydraulic slave.. that bottomed out the slave piston almost completely..  when the clutch wore... it would start slipping.. wearing out the throw out bearings and pilot bearings along with the cover and disc..

i will go thru your other posts and see if i can find out more info...

there are several types of clutches with small block chevys..

there are several different throw out bearing heights..  

ldickersonc ldickersonc
Posted: 04/21/13
07:50 AM

engine off, yes i can move it through all the gears, I have rigged the right amount of "play" into the clutch, no resistance for about an inch or so then it feels like a good clutch.  Did'nt have much trouble installing the tranny, there is nothing new from before I had it apart.  Drove great before.  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2218 | Joined: 07/08
07:57 AM

I did have a warped clutch disk/pressure plate once that caused a similar problem.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

ldickersonc ldickersonc
09:09 AM

If it was warped, i would think this would have happened before i had it apart.  Whatever is wrong happened during disassembly/reassembly.  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Addict | Posts: 2337 | Joined: 03/10
09:20 AM

does it have the hyd slave cylinder?   might need to bleed it?   hope you get it figured out.