Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

VHS transfer to computer

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2226 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 04/14/13
11:39 AM

Anybody know what device is needed to transfer VHS tape or CD to computer.  Confused
I want to use this to transfer VHS to photobucket or U tube.
I have some old race runs I would like to put to video.
I was looking at something called smart disk on E bay which seems to indicate
that it will do this.
I was wondering if I am looking at the right thing?  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

waynep712222 waynep712222
Enthusiast | Posts: 251 | Joined: 03/13
12:15 PM

here is about a 3 minute video from CNET on how to transfer them..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udwPo6vLfSU

i run almost nothing but macs... and have not done this in a while on my mac.. ...  want to see my 1985 mac 512K machine boot up on an 800K floppy.?? running at astounding 8 mhz.

i even have had specialized macs that had audio and video rca connectors built right in to record analog video ..  

Dave632 Dave632
02:07 PM

Thanks, Wayne
That device looks like the one I was looking at.
I will give it a try.
Wow, that computer sounds like some of the old video games I still have. I had the old Atari from the 70s but I gave it away in the past.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
Enthusiast | Posts: 251 | Joined: 03/13
05:28 PM

thats what they were good for also...

a game that actually was created the year before the mac release in 84...  from silicon beach graphics.. was called apache strike..  it was a STICK figure game where there are just lines... no fill...  the audio track was so realistic... my brother hooked it into his 660 watt home stereo system..  there were only 4, 15" woofers , midranges and tweeters being driven..  he turned up the volume as the game ran in demo mode.. people driving by were sticking their heads out the window looking for the low flying choppers..

how about my registered copy of microsoft flight simulator for mac version 1.02... or excel for mac.. version 1.0..  and people wonder why i know macs so well.

the people in the other side of the duplex he lived in.. complained that his stereo sounded better in their living room thru the wall than their did..   other people ask if they could come in and see the live rock band playing..   it was the same set up as was used in various venues here in hollywood.. like the pladdium.. the whiskey , the roxy..  it was nothing compared to the systems he had at the  recording studio he worked at.. those  had 4600 watts RMS each. there were 2 studios there..  he was seriously into music..  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5117 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 04/15/13
04:30 AM

I use a cheapo ATI TV card in a PCI slot of a Windows desktop. Thats my TV. Old school compared to that USB device. It can use a coax cable or the RCA connectors (and just about anything else) for input, plus watch TV channels. I still fondly remember DOS games and windows 3.1, thats where I started. Always been a windows guy. Think I still have Microsoft Flight Simulator from back then. Test Drive and Chub3D were also good ones. And of course the original Wolfenstein and Doom! Memories ...  
idrivejunk

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 04/15/13
10:43 PM

Matt:

Verizon guys finally convinced me to change from a USB to WiFi. The USB never hung up on me. Or froze. The batteries never went dead in 10 hours either (Didn't have any) Oh yeah USB never told me I had a signal, and there wasn't one. WiFi tells me I have a signal and still it won't connect....WiFi is a piece of @#$#@...Wayne's got the right idea.

Bob  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 04/16/13
05:00 AM

Aw heck. Howdy Bob. I'm on COX cable and use a wired modem (connects with CAT5 network cable) and hell when the rain gets heavy the underground fiber optics and/or outdoor wiring have connectivity troubles too. Sucks if you're trying to do quick research. The cable internet is fast as can be, but for me it goes in and out a lot on some days. Other than those days, its at least as fast as my Pontiac.  Grin Wayne usually do have the right idea!

Dave, can't wait to see some dragstrip action!  Cool Good luck, man.  
idrivejunk

Dave632 Dave632
Posted: 04/18/13
04:07 PM

Picked up a video capture device.
Installed it and it will transfer VHS etc. to the D drive for recording video CDs.
Photobucket does not recognize that type of file.
Anybody know how to transfer that type of file to this site or to U tube, etc.

Dave  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
04:57 PM

Dave, what file type does the thing spit out? In other words, what is the file extension? Like if it were an "image.jpg" for example, what comes after the dot?

There are free file conversion programs to fix this but its possible that you need to tell the software what file type to produce. Read the directions or take the tutorial, explore the settings on the recording program. You may also need tell the program to save it to your hard drive (if theres room) then upload it from there. You may need to re-record it once you've got the program set up. I think my digital camera makes ".avi" files, which Photobucket eats up like candy. What brand of gizmo did you get? I haven't really checked 'em out yet.

Resist the temptation to mash keyboard or monitor with fist, it just never helps  Wink  
idrivejunk

Dave632 Dave632
06:56 PM

This device came only with instructions for sending a vhs tape to a computer CD.
It's name is smart disk. It worked fine for what it said it would do but it seems if I can send a signal to the computer I should be able to send that file to another site somehow. A file conversion may be the answer.
The files read ext, mpevag, segment and vcd. Nothing like Jpeg or some such file.

I tried giving the device a roundhouse kick but all that got me was a stubbed toe.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
07:57 PM

Get you a tiny hammer and give 'er a whack or two.  Grin I couldn't find much about it on the web.

Search for "any video converter" on google, its a free download that worked for me. You might look on PBucket or utube to find what file types are supported before configuring the converter. Definitely play your converted vid to see if it came out right, its a less user-friendly more technical program that may throw a mean learning curve.

Not sure, but it appears to me that your device might make not-copy-able discs only? That could be why it only plays back but won't download right.
Confused  
idrivejunk

Dave632 Dave632
Posted: 04/20/13
02:20 PM

Installed the "any video converter".
It did download one of the files but it would not play it back.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Posted: 04/20/13
03:13 PM

Do you mean that the converter program did recognize the file from the USB deal?

In my mind, "download" means taking a file from the web. "Upload" means giving a file to the web. After downloading and installing the converter and checking for updates to it, then you should be able to "import" the file into the converter and give it instructions for the conversion (quality level, output file type and location) or use the default settings. The process takes time so if you haven't waited much for it to do something, I don't think you've converted your video yet. The program isn't much of a player, but its been awhile since I used it.

I still wonder if that SmartDisk kicks out copyright protected discs or if maybe you need some other software updates like the flash player for your browser. Man its tough to talk thru computer stuff, sure helps to be there!  
idrivejunk

Dave632 Dave632
Posted: 04/21/13
07:46 AM

I sure admit I know a lot more about building a race engine than I do about computers.
I will play with the system some more.  

shivshaktibrass shivshaktibrass
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/24/13
05:56 AM

Hello Everybody.

I am New Here From S.S. Parts india Company. We Provide Custom Word Wide
S.S. Parts india service as per client requirement.

Thanks.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last