Balance problem on a 383 stroker

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Balance problem on a 383 stroker

Mongoose78 Mongoose78
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 06/12
Posted: 01/30/13
04:07 PM

Just converted my vette from automatic to 4 speed the motor is a 383 external balance
I bought a external balanced flywheel but I am getting a minor vibration above 4000 rpm
Am I going to have to go back into the motor and have it balanced with this flywheel
Thanks for the help  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2218 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 01/31/13
07:47 PM

When I have had my rotating assembly balanced they have always wanted my balancer and flexplate/flywheel there to balance the whole assembly.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

Mongoose78 Mongoose78
Posted: 01/31/13
08:18 PM

The Original flex plate was balanced with the rotating assembly but changed to a manual so I guess I get to go though the motor again to get the balance right with the manual flywheel  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2218 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 02/01/13
05:46 PM

If the vibration started after you replaced the flywheel it is a good indication that is your problem.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi68 pepsi68
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/01/13
10:31 PM

+1 Dave: A good engine balance will include your rotating assembly, plus a flex plate and bolts, and balancer (OR Damper) with an automatic, and sometime the torque convertor make sure he indexes the way it was balanced. A Dab of paint.

A Manual Trans. you'll want to give them rotating assembly, clutch,  flywheel, and flywheeel fasteners, pressure plate, and P/P fasteners. Make sure he indexes the flywheel, clutch, pressure plate. A Dab of paint...

***Automatics tend to vibrate a little. Because the torque convertor is loaded with a viscous material (OIL). But once it finds it's sweet spot is usually goes away. Thats something that just occurs with automatics...

The indexing is very important. You can install (FOR EXAMPLE ONLY) the pressure plate 180* off the balance marks, and have a vibration.... Even if its a dab of paint. You need to know that.

***The vibration Should Not Rattle your Teeth. OKAY! Grin  Cool

Bob AKA pepsi1  

Mongoose78 Mongoose78
Posted: 02/02/13
09:52 AM

Thanks for help getting to pull motor this weekend taking everything to the machine shop Monday