mounting a blaster 2 ignition coil

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

mounting a blaster 2 ignition coil

ldickersonc ldickersonc
User | Posts: 168 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 03/29/13
05:34 PM

So, I have heard these things need to be mounted vertically, but there is limited firewall space in my camaro.  Think there will be a problem with a 45 degree angle?  Can anyone verify or de-bunk this rumor?  Thank you.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
06:24 PM

idickersonc

1.I have always mounted a MSD Coil  straight up/down in the cabin area.

2.Usually mounted with all the other electronic component.  

3.Insulate it from as much engine heat as possible. Use heavy gauge wire.

4.Isolate any parts from vibration as you can.

5.Fuse on its own panel with the proper fuse numbers.

6.Use the shortest distance from the coil tower to the distributor. Use Dieletric grease on all componets.

7.Make sure all electrical connections are tight. Use lock washers if needed.

Bob

PS you can EMail MSD and they will send you electrical schemastics hard copy or dvd.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
06:29 PM

I have always used a MSD Blaster #3 The tall tower. I like it because it has the long neck for either HEI or the old POINTS type distributor..Less chance of arcing also. I just secure it with a tie wrap around any of them.

Bob  

ldickersonc ldickersonc
User | Posts: 168 | Joined: 05/11
07:32 PM

I am running it with an MSD ready to run distributor, right now mounted on the engine firewall just above the heater box.  Your talking inside the passenger compartment?  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2226 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 03/30/13
07:41 PM

I never read that an MSD coil had to be mounted vertically.
I did run mine inside the passenger compartment vertically in the Beretta but I never heard that is the way it had to be. If it is just a regular coil it could be mounted in any direction.
This was the setup I made for the 68 Camaro I had. The MSD coil is mounted sideways according to the lettering and it ran fine.
MVC 035S
That MSD HVC2 coil with the 7AL could jump a spark quite a distance as Bob mentioned. I would put that wire about 10-12" away from ground and it would jump it easily. I was no where near that wire when I tested it.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 03/31/13
02:26 AM

Good Point Dave632:

I have an MSD schematic book that makes NO mention of how the coil should be mounted.

I just wouldn't mount the coil upside down...I still would mount it with the tower pointing straight up  

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 04/01/13
04:00 PM

Hi there,
With Coils,
or anything electrical,

KEEP AWAY from any unnecessary heat is a mandate.
All the besst...Skyeking..  
skyeking