Supercharger vs procharger Sbc 355

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Supercharger vs procharger Sbc 355

Newkid355sbc Newkid355sbc
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/10/13
06:17 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to this small block world I recently purchased a g body cutlass had a stock Sbc 305 from a monte in it when I purchased it. I quickly ditched that an upgraded to mild sb 350 4 bolt main but that wasn't enough either so I pulled the motor again an sent it to the machine shop. Long story short its currently a 355 with with an eagle rotating assembly , rhs 200cc heads 1.5 roller rockers comp mutha thumpr cam vic jr intake 750 carb th350 trans shift kit 3500 stall decent little motor for my first car. But it's still not enough, I'm trying to decide another route to go with my project but can't decide weather to supercharge with a weiand 144 or a p-1sc procharger ??? I really would like input from you all on a detaliled effective engine build either supercharged or procharged since I'm new to this an nobody else in my family is into this sort of thing I don't know where to turn to for advice I've got a budget of around $5k any help would be appreciated, thanks!  

xFourLeaf xFourLeaf
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 01/13
06:46 PM

First off you're gonna need to lower your compresion to about 8.5/1. A supercharger will make more horsepower than a pro charger, simply because it will suck in more air. Pro charger is gonna cost less. However I wouldn't put either of those on your motor. You can find horsepower in other places at a cheaper price. Not sure if you are going for a daily driver or a drag car?  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

07:13 PM

Not a drag car just a weekend warrior cruise an have fun around town, I'm aware that I have to lower compression I'm prepared to rebuild the engine again just curious as to what set up would work best what cam to use what rotating assembly carb heads ect that kind of thing I think I have a positive addiction to horsepower it never seems to be enough but I feel after this next set ill leave it alone the alternative to supercharging or procharged would be to build sb 406 or my goal is to make 500hp or as close to it as I can .... What else do you suggest?? I'm just doing my homework before I start spending money  

xFourLeaf xFourLeaf
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 01/13
08:48 PM

It's always good to do your homework. Saves a lot of time and money in the long run. Go with the sb 406. You will make 500+ hp fairly easily. Not to mention the weight you will save not having a supercharger and intercooler up front. Get a forged eagle crank, dart or AFR heads.  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2217 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 03/11/13
04:08 PM

Why not go with some nitrous. It is a lot less money than a supercharger and easier to install. 150 extra HP is easy to do and would get you to your 500 HP goal easily.
You would not need to change your compression ratio and you would only have to use it when you need it as there are remote turn on valves available. You would need forged pistons to handle the increased pressure though.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

Posted: 03/11/13
06:30 PM

I've had zero experience with the bottle I'd rather stay off it an build something all motor since its not a drag car an I'd only be driving around the city I want that power to be there whenever I step on the pedal n/a or supercharged is where I'm currently leaning I'm gonna keep my 355 as a back up and build a completely different motor just need to do a bit more research truly just want a bad ass pump gas motor to build before the summer gets here  

p2-72chevelle383 p2-72chevelle383
Guru | Posts: 1757 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 03/12/13
08:44 AM

Sell the sbc take that money plus the 5k and build a bbc ....problem solved  
p2-72chevelle383

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
11:03 AM

+1
A big block with 1 horse per cube would be street friendly.,. a sb 350 would not.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
01:34 PM

1.The big block will give you a lot more friendly horse power for the street.

2.A 502/502 idles rather nicely for the performance you get from it. Just beef up the driveline to handle the twisting of torque.

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
01:38 PM

Dave632 is the N02 Guru. He had 4 stages on his Pro-Mod Beretta.... He's the guy I'd talk to if you want to know more about it.

Bob  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
03:01 PM

+1
A BB Rat is the way to go,,,,,,,,

Babyrat

For good street manners,,,,,,,,

Mickeymouse

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2217 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 03/13/13
07:01 PM

+2 on the BB. It would be a much easier and street friendly way to get that 500hp.
Bob don't exaggerate I only had 3 stages on the Beretta, 2 foggers and 2 plates.
The 2 plates were under each of the 2 Dominators and they came on at the same time.
Too bad I could not use all of that juice on the track, and go in a straight line. Tongue
Tuff I like the pix of that Rat, it's cute.
I remember the story of how the BB got to be called a Rat.
One of the very early ones were running at the drags and running poorly, breaking up spitting, coughing, etc. One of the racers of another brand called it a Rat.
The next week they had it running real good and the comment was made how's my Rat running how. The name somehow stuck to this day and that happened over 50 years ago.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]