windsheild scratches

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

windsheild scratches

JTH55 JTH55
New User | Posts: 32 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 03/04/13
09:18 PM

anyone ever buff or polish wiper blade scratches out of windshield.do they make a kit for it or any old school fixes u might want to share.  

68scott385 68scott385
Guru | Posts: 1990 | Joined: 10/09
09:36 PM

http://www.eastwood.com/pro-glass-polishing-kit.html

Follow the directions and make sure to keep the glass wet, it's very important.

I've also used their plastic headlight cover polish with good results.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
10:26 PM

Check with the auto ahops that have paint supplies. See if they have a compound that can remove those type scratches.
  Are you talking about a real old windshield? Circa the 1960's.
What I used and had good results, is the finest steel wool you can get. 6-zero or 8-zero. (However that manufacturer labels it). Maybe use a light body compound with the steel wool.
  Make sure the winshield is very, very clean and dry.
Then I suggest buff a small spot and see if this works.
  You can probably find a way to put it on a small buffing pad for a rechargable or electric drill. Don't use heavy pressure, just let the drill do it's job.
  This works great for polishing stainless steel molding or chrome bumpers.

Just some FYI: We use to clean the outside glass on our cars with a light compound, and then put Blue Coral Wax on top. (It's now called Rain-X)...

Bob  

JTH55 JTH55
New User | Posts: 32 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 03/05/13
06:01 PM

thanx guys for the input .yes bob it is a real old windshield in a 55 210.the scratches are deep enough to feel with your fingernail.gonna look into the kit that scott posted.wanted to leave some of the original stuff on the car so the front and rear glass stayed.