Throttle Cable

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Throttle Cable

bigdee2 bigdee2
User | Posts: 54 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 12/16/12
09:46 AM

Broke 2 - a Trans Dapt and a Spectre within months - is there a better cable without haveing to buy a Lokar that seems to only work with one of their pedals, which is another $130 by itself - I didn't want to get into another $250 for a throttle cable alone.

1976 Camaro SBC  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
11:18 AM

Icon Quotebigdee2:
Broke 2 - a Trans Dapt and a Spectre within months - is there a better cable without haveing to buy a Lokar that seems to only work with one of their pedals, which is another $130 by itself - I didn't want to get into another $250 for a throttle cable alone.

1976 Camaro SBC

If your are Breaking cables you do Not Have It adjusted right there should be just a bit of slack left after your foot hits the floor.If you feel that you have used the length up try to hook the end closer to the pivot point on the arm of the carb.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5117 | Joined: 12/09
01:15 PM

+1 Skylark

A "torque strap" might keep the engine from moving far enough to keep breaking them. Stock ones didn't break.  
idrivejunk

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
02:50 PM

i would like to know.. where and HOW it broke???  

there are 2 barrel cables and 4 barrel cables as i recall... the 2 barrel cables are slightly shorter.. as the 4 barrel cables have to reach farther forward on to the engine??? which ones were you using??

do you own a digital volt meter. i would like you to run this test below... i have seen cars and trucks that ate throttle cables and shifter cables.. because there were missing or loose ground cables between the engine and the body/firewall...

Voltagedroptesting

post results by number
1._________

2.________

3.________

4.________

looks like the casing length is about 12 inches..  and the overall length is just over 22"

that fits a lot of 2nd generation camaros..

or a 75/76 impala with a 4 bbl with a 24 inch cable overall length..

bigdee2 bigdee2
User | Posts: 54 | Joined: 12/10
03:14 PM

Both were universal throttle cables - the ball is popping off the end of the cable at the accelerator cable.  A stock cable won't work because I have a stroker engine with a raised manifold, which makes the stock cable too short.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
03:26 PM

This may sound a little strange, but read this first:....This is assuming all the adjustments are correct. With the other suggestions, if the cable is too short, for a trial only. Install a small piece of wood under the Gas pedal even if you have to tape it there.
  Now for the what I call Strange or different type problem!!
This is a problem I found with a a number of cables over the years. It's not the fault of the cable either. Make sure your engine has good grounds. Even install extra ones if needed.
  I have seen voltage pass through the cable using the cable as an engine ground. The voltage that passes through the cable weakens it to the point it stretch's it until it breaks. I know this sounds wierd I know, but think about what the engine needs to run. Power and Voltage for ignition, and it will look for any source to get it.

I am not saying this is your problem, but it would be a great and easy place to start. It's hard to tell after the engine has run for obvious reasons. You can use a DVOM and see if you have any voltage leaking to the metal part of the cable.

Bob  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
05:31 PM

Wow, the cable is long enough and there IS Slack in the line when Depressed.now you are Oh for Two with it losing its Balls. good 'ol fashion linkage rods still work.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 12/17/12
11:40 PM

if its ONLY breaking the internal cable.. create your own...

there are LONGER cables and casings available..

can you post how long a casing length you need.. and a cable length...

casing will really help... i can dig through the catalogs and find similar ends and longer casings.. its not hard to do..  if you can post how much longer you need it..
they make really really long ones...

you can also take a LONGER cable and casing...  cut the end off at the pedal end...

thread the long cable into your casing or chop the 2 in lengths and create a custom length cable..

i don't know how tightly they secure the firewall attachment to the casing.. so you might be able to pry it loose..

don't forget you can get cable stops like these in most parts stores..

Help brand  Cable stop clamps assortment  Price: $2.99 at AZ  Part Number: 03336

az also sells these..

Spectre / 3 ft. cable, 2 ft. braided housing universal throttle cable kit
Price: $24.99 Part Number: 2431
if you used and have all the parts of this spector kit.. visit a bicycle shop.. pick up a brake cable kit.. put the 2 kits together and create your own custom length cable and casing..

here is one a little longer that might have the proper end for your firewall..

i can find stock shape cables up to around 62 inches long with a ball socket on the carb end..

this looks like its around 29 inches long...
Pioneer/Accelerator Cable
Price: $20.99 Part Number: CA-8654

there are over 400 accelerator cables just on the az site..