Vortec head rebuild

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Vortec head rebuild

grr_sanpete grr_sanpete
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 02/21/13
07:09 PM

I have read and heard that the hardened seats on the Vortec heads (060, 092) cannot be recut when rebuilding due to the hardening being so thin it would be removed and the resulting seat would burn. So how are these heads rebuilt? Can the seats be cut and then rehardened?

Also, are the guides typically replaced when these heads are rebuilt?

And, are the valves able to be recut and used?

....... Does the Serdi machine enable all of the seats to be cut at exactly the same depth?

Any and all comments would be welcome and appreciated.  

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Addict | Posts: 2337 | Joined: 03/10
Posted: 02/22/13
07:38 AM

id say yes on the guides and valves.   you can have your valves back-cut for better flow.

not sure on the seats.  i think they use inconel, and thats gotta be a hard metal to cut?    probably put new seats in when rebuilding?  

Bobs427 Bobs427
New User | Posts: 12 | Joined: 02/13
03:16 PM

Can you supply the complete Part/numbers from those heads. I can't seem to find them. I want to help you, do you know approx the year they are.

Back cut the valves as Joe said will help flow.

Are you going to use New Valves?

Bob Aka-Pepsi1  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
04:33 PM

Valves, back cut 30 degrees

P1030092

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

grr_sanpete grr_sanpete
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 12/12
Posted: 03/01/13
12:01 AM

Tuff,

Thank you for the pics. Like a thousand words.
The question re: guides and valves was to help me determine the cost of rebuilding the heads vs. buying new ones complete. Another engine builder was not too big on the Goodwrench heads. He claimed their valve seats were not very concentric. I would like to save as much money as possible but still have good reliable heads. I am waiting now to hear from the machine shop after they do the hot tanking and magnafluxing.

The heads I have are part number 10239906 and came from a '99 truck. I would suppose they are the Inconel exhaust seat but the machine shop did not seem too concerned about cutting new seats on them with their Serdi machine.