starter wires crossed

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

starter wires crossed

jwilson13 jwilson13
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 02/10/13
05:44 PM

some how i got my starter wires mixed up the car will start but the alternator is not charging installed a wire on the wrong spot of the starter any help what i need to do to correct it!  

zman123 zman123
Enthusiast | Posts: 531 | Joined: 06/08
07:43 PM

Just switch them back. find a wiring diagram for your vehicle and follow the wires and hook them up according to the diagram. You can find the correct manual at the library or try going online and just search "wiring diagram" for your vehicle. good luck.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
10:20 PM

this is kinda hard to guess as since we don't know what kind of car and alternator you have other than its on a chevy...

this is a 77 to 80 truck wiring diagram.  many gm cars and trucks are similar...

if you follow the wires closely    you will find the wiring to the back of the internally regulated regulator comes off one fusible link at the starter....

the red wire to the side connector on the alternator comes off the other smaller fusible link... if either one is blown. or broken.. you wont get charging..

warning.. alternators do not like to be run without a load on them... when operated with a blown fusible link... the voltage will build up above the rating of the diodes and either burn them into an open state.. or into a dead short that will cause arcing when you hook up the battery cables..

77 80 Chevytruck Fusible Links