Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Tunnel Ram question

Tooneyman Tooneyman
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/28/13
11:05 AM

I am going to install a new Weiand hi-rise Tunnel ram with two inline 600 cfm 4-bbl Holley carbs. The motor is a high performance 350 Chevy. The motor is in a street car, not a race car. Originally the engine had a single Holley carb (old 780 double-pumper) on it with a stock intake manifold. My question is will I need to increase (or decrease) the jet sizes in the two carbs that will be sitting on the new tunnel ram? Or just leave the jets in the two carbs alone and forget about it? Seems to me I would need to decrease the jets since now with two carbs there will be more fuel going into the motor, but not sure. Any help will be apreciated. Thanks.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
01:21 PM

Tooneyman welcome to CHP;

If all that stuff was mine I would sell it all. Purchase a nice (NEW) 650cfm Street Holley and Intake manifold.

If you have a mild cam in the 350 you could be over carburated by 300cfm to 400cfm with that said...

1.You have other problems with the carbs.

The power valves could be the problem also.

The float levels could be leaking, and/or set too high

Jetted too rich

2.If you rebuilt them they will still have problems, if you don't get the jetting and basic settings corrected.

I'll give you the jet Numbers and power valve numbers.

You didn't say if they were 600DP.

600CFM
Primary/Jet
Secondary/Jet
Power/Valve
Needle/Seat Viton

Let us know what you do.

Bob  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2217 | Joined: 07/08
05:22 PM

2 600s are too much for that motor.
I would drop that down to a pair of 390s.
I ran a set of those on a 350 and it ran good.
Mine was race only however.
The tunnel ram setup was good for 7 tenths in the
1/8th over a single 650 on a dual plane.
I do not know how well that setup will do on the street.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
05:37 PM

It will do well with two 390's, IF, they are hooked up with progressive linkage.,. running on the rear carb to about 1/3 throttle, before the front carb kicks in.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Dave632 Dave632
09:00 PM

For street progressive is the way to go as Tuff says.  

Tooneyman Tooneyman
Posted: 01/31/13
11:57 AM

In about two weeks, the 350 motor will be installed in a motorcycle (not a trike). The frame will be an older motorcycle frame factory designed for a small block chevy(not a Boss Hoss frame). I not only want increased performance from the motor, but also want the looks of the tunnel ram and all that carburation. The tunnel ram is being professionally polished right now to a chrome-like finish. Intend to get this all done by late spring of this year if things go right. The reason I intend to install two 600 Holleys on the tunnel ram is I already have one of the carbs now. All I have to do is buy another one. I won't have to fork out the $$ to buy the second 600 carb if I'm able to go with these carbs. Just hope I can adjust the 600's good enough to run the bike on the street. Will post a pic of the bike on this site if and when I get the project completed.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
02:04 PM

Tooneyman:

Is the engine going in the bike?

In your first post you stated it was in a car and not a race car!

That changes everything.
Now your not moving a 3,000lb car. your moving a 800lb bike.

Try this before you buy another 600 or 650. Take the new (650) install it on the rear of the Tunnel. Run fuel only to that carb. See how the engine runs.

If the engine runs good in the car it should be snotty in the bike.

If it runs good, shut the fuel off to the front carb.

I ran a 402 Big Block with a 750. It ran fine.

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
02:20 PM

Tooneyman:

I'll give you a little FYI.

1.Or a 475 Cubic inch engine/and spin it to 9,000 with 1200CFM carb
Or a 700 Cubic Inch engine/and spin it to 6,000RPM with 1200CFM of carb
Or a 575 Cubic Inch engine/and spin it to 7,500RPM with 1200CFM of carb

2.Even a 350 Cubic Inch engine you need to with a 600CFM carb. You need to spin it to 6,000RPM

3.A 350 with a 650CFM carb you will need to spin it to 6,500RPM.

These engines are race engines to a point. They are driveable and are daily drivers. I hope you see MY OPINION! If I typed faster I would type the most critical of the data I have collected over the years.. C/I-RPM-CFM needed.
I hope this helps. Grin  Cool

Bob  

Dave632 Dave632
02:59 PM

A 350 on a bike with a tunnel ram? Where do you sit?
You want more performance too? Putting 300-350hp to a less than 1000 lb. vehicle
will be like putting 900-1000 to a 3000 lb vehicle. Remember there is only one tire on the back of that bike too. Sure sounds dangerous to me. Is there somebody with a *ap bike who has been bragging that you want to shut up. That bike will have the ability to run 8s in the 1/4 if you could ever hook it up.
Good luck, you will need it.  

Tooneyman Tooneyman
Posted: 02/06/13
10:42 AM

If I only run the rear carb on a two tunnel ram setup won't the front cylinders run too lean because most of the fuel is going in the rear cylinders? And why have the carb only in the rear position? Will one carb work ok in the front position on the tunnel ram?  

Tooneyman Tooneyman
10:55 AM

The motor will be going into a 2000 motorcycle V8 frame. The frame is an American King V8 frame which was factory-made for a 350 Chevy engine. They used to produce the bikes down in Louisana before Katrina hit there and wiped out the plant. After the motor is in the bike the overall total weight should be about 900 to 1,000 lbs.
I will have to widen the top of the frame to allow clearance for the tunnel ram (which I'm in the process of doing now). Plan to install the motor next weekend if all goes good this week. I had an older Boss Hoss (weighed 1,285 lbs)a few years ago and rode that bike for 4 years. The V8 bikes ride like any other large motorcycle except you have to respect the weight of the bike during cornering. Some V8 bikes will just fall over in the corners (with you on them) if you take the corner too slow. My American King V8 bike will be a single speed with an standard automotive clutch. It will be a direct-drive setup with no shifting like the old Boss Hoss V8 bikes were. If you ever get a chance ot test-ride or own a V8 motorcycle I wouild suggest do it. They are a lot of fun to own and ride.  Cool  

Dave632 Dave632
08:37 PM

I would only run a single carb to test the motor. As you say running it consistently  with a single carb will starve the cylinders further away from the carb.
That sure seems like a dangerous ride to me but I guess you are used to it. You should be able to eat the *ap bikes for lunch with that if you can get the power to the ground.
Good luck to you.  

Tooneyman Tooneyman
Posted: 02/08/13
10:33 AM

Another question regarding the tunnel ram: The normal standard torque for the intake bolts I have found is to be 30 foot pounds. But, I found a stock Weiand aluminum intake (not a tunnel ram intake) installation instruction saying to only torque the bolts from 15 to 18 foot pounds. Is this because of the alumimun material so as to not break a part of the intake manifold? What torgue spec do I use to tighten the bolts down on my tunnel ram? ...... Confused  

Tooneyman Tooneyman
10:37 AM

Also, do I thinly coat the bolt threads with gasket sealer (mainly the bolts at the water ports) to prevent any water from seeping thru the threads and getting into the engine oil? or not do this? I have seen mixed instructions on this. Some say to just add a little motor oil and others say to add a little non-hardening gasket sealer. What to do??  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
02:29 PM

Hey Toon Man, do you Know, there is a tunnel ram intake that Places the Carbs Side by Side,and Slightly Staggered,Looks Kool as Heck and Is just the same thing in performance AND Fair ground Appeal. couple people Made them and then they May Clear the Frame.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last