New User | Posts: 32 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 01/09/13
06:13 PM

what are the times that require roll bars then cages in the 1320 and660  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2225 | Joined: 07/08
08:51 PM

Its been a while since I read an NHRA/IHRA rule book and I have not raced in about 5 years so don't quote me.
Basic seat belts and helmet for 14 seconds and above. Between 10 and 12 seconds requires a 6 point cage. Under 10 and you need at least a 12 point cage and racing jacket. My 68 ran in the mid 8s,5.50s 1,8th,range and it needed a 14 point cage, full racing suit with shoes and gloves,chute, shield on tranny. My Beretta was a low 7 second, mid 4s in the 1/8th, and it had to have a full moly funny car cage besides all the other stuff I mentioned. I am sure I have forgotten some stuff too.
I would suggest getting an NHRA or IHRA rule book as there is a lot to the safety rules in drag racing. If you become a member they send you a rule book or you can buy the book separately.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
09:19 PM

+1 Dave:

Safety should never be skimped on. Dave's car was a Pro-Mod Beretta I wouldn't sit in it without a Chute...LOL...

All kidding aside I would install a front and rear Drivehaft safety Loop. I don't  care if you have a 16 sec 1/4 mile car. I've seen U-Joints break. I for one rode a broken driveshaft. It was actually spinning along side me. Remember this the lower your rear gear ratio the faster the driveshaft is spinning at the rear wheels.

I had a vibration in the water box,I went staged the car anyway (Stupid Move) 2nd gear the shake was worse. I should have known better, but the car was on a good run Yeah! I stayed with it. I pulled 3rd gear and all hell broke loose.
  I was out an 1/8th mile on a 1/4 mile track and that driveshaft was spinning the whole time. The Loop stopped the car from flipping over,it held the broken rear part of the driveshaft. I had a girdle on the rear yoke and u-joint that held together. Believe me it is something you don't won't to have happen.
  I never measured the velocity of that driveshaft, but it will go through factory flooring. Why I say that, it bent a 1/4"X 12" steel plate I had welded to the loop over the 9" Ford yoke.

Bob

PS Go to NHRA.com and you can purchase a rule book. Last years was $10.00.  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2225 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 01/10/13
07:39 PM

By all means a driveshaft loop. I usually ran at least 2. Most of the faster Pro Mods had a full tube around thier driveshafts.
My son had one let go at around a 100 and it broke the loop on one side. He had bought the driveshaft from a company in Tampa Fla. called 301 driveshaft. Those idiots had made the driveshaft out of cheap garbage as the same thing happened to a friend of his who bought his driveshaft at the same place, he did not have a loop and it came thru his floor.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

xFourLeaf xFourLeaf
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/11/13
02:43 AM

If you are a member of the nhra you can download a copy of the 2013 rule book off of their website.  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf