Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Games People Play

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 01/19/13
02:19 AM

we should Know it Happens Once in A while, but the straight 6 turbo Is a 4 year old post from Car Craft Mag.reposted here. we try to help as best we can here and do a fare job of it. If you feel like Discrediting someone ask yo Momma who  yo Daddy REALLY IS.  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2220 | Joined: 07/08
05:55 AM

I agree. I think I stated how I felt about that one in that post.
In my opinion a big waste of time and money anyway.
Probably had a motor donated to him and wants to do something with it.
Just put that in a daily driver and use it to go to the grocery store.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

68scott385 68scott385
Guru | Posts: 1990 | Joined: 10/09
07:19 AM

Personally, I am skeptical of every new poster that comes around wanting 500+hp, regardless of budget situation. Also skeptical about anyone who askes questions about things that are so second nature I can't remember why/how I learned them. Then there's the new post on multi-year-old threads. So I'm the suspicious, non-trusting type,...

I guess some people will go to any length to be a hero in their own mind.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
08:38 AM

+1,2,3
I agree and cringe when a first time builder wants 500+ horse from a 350.,. at the rear wheels.
Can it be done, sure,,,, but I'll let others struggle through that one, to the bitter end.
Most, if not all of these are fantasy builds.,. that will never happen.
So in essence, we are talking about nothing.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

68scott385 68scott385
08:49 AM

You said it Pete, fantasy builds.

I know the mags have a job and purpose but they fall short on the reality. Few put a true price tag on their project engines, not to mention the rest of the car. I can't remember the last transmission article I saw. What really kills me is when they throw the word budget into an article, it gives the reader a lunch-money vibe that just isn't going to happen unless your dad is a machinist, your mom runs a junkyard, and you brother is a bodyman. Of course there are guys that can do nearly all of the work themselves but they aren't average either, don't mean to step on anyone's toes but you have to embrace what you are or are not.Smile  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2220 | Joined: 07/08
09:50 AM

Icon Quote68scott385:
You said it Pete, fantasy builds.

I know the mags have a job and purpose but they fall short on the reality. Few put a true price tag on their project engines, not to mention the rest of the car. I can't remember the last transmission article I saw. What really kills me is when they throw the word budget into an article, it gives the reader a lunch-money vibe that just isn't going to happen unless your dad is a machinist, your mom runs a junkyard, and you brother is a bodyman. Of course there are guys that can do nearly all of the work themselves but they aren't average either, don't mean to step on anyone's toes but you have to embrace what you are or are not.Smile

I agree.
Few can do it all and only the rare rare one can do it all well.
I liked to build my own motors and assemble them. I still had to go to the machine shop for some of the work. I absolutely despise body work and I had a tranny guy who did my work for almost 20 years.
I built my own home in Fla. but I contracted out the block work and the truss install. I still remember those guys running around setting those trusses in a lightning storm, sorry not for me. Tongue  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

xFourLeaf xFourLeaf
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 01/13
11:34 PM

I've only been on these forums for about a month and I feel like I've read about 20 of these post were people are wanting a rediculous amount of HP out of whatever setup they have. it's pretty dam funny sometimes. I can only image what some of you guys have seen over the years  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

68scott385 68scott385
Posted: 01/20/13
12:15 AM

Icon QuotexFourLeaf:
I've only been on these forums for about a month and I feel like I've read about 20 of these post were people are wanting a rediculous amount of HP out of whatever setup they have. it's pretty dam funny sometimes. I can only image what some of you guys have seen over the years

It seems that there's a new one every week. Most of use browse multiple Source Interlink Media (parent company of the mags) forums, and we see this on nearly all of them.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
12:54 AM

Happy Hour wins everytime.
I spent the better part of 4 month's last year with a young gear head. Gave him a cam selection, didn't hear from him for 2 weeks. Then tells me the valves are hitting the pistons.
  Not the cam I selected for him. Bla, Bla, Bla. I told him what he had to do. Now someone tells him Comp Cams advances their cams 8*. So the Happy Hour crowd told him to retard the cam 4*. He tells me he has clearance. When asked how much I got no reply. Bla, Bla, Bla.
  His mom PM's me said he scattered the engine at a chassis dyno. Then the Big Question Who is responsible. Your son, and the happy hour crowd. His mom told me he had spent over $30,000 rebuilding his '86 Monte Carlo.

Bob  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
01:00 AM

Icon QuotexFourLeaf:

Icon Quote68scott385:
It seems that there's a new one every week. Most of use browse multiple Source Interlink Media (parent company of the mags) forums, and we see this on nearly all of them.

I might as well get in on this 350 SB free for all.,. I want minimum 1000+ horse at the rear wheels of my '92 Chevy short box.
It has swirl port heads and dished pistons. I don't want power adders or boost.,. I want to make this power on motor only.
OH, forgot to mention,,,, I have no money. So can someone tell me which wire to wiggle, so I might get all this power.,. free.
Thanking you guys in advance, thanks.
Please hurry with the hot tips.

There.,. I think that pretty much sums up the rediculous posts that we've been getting.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

pepsi1 pepsi1
01:00 AM

The same thing not back about 2 month's or so. I spec'ed a cam for a guy and a Hydraulic Roller at that. So I wanted to be on the money. So I asked every question I could, and more. The guy gets all the pieces, ordered the cam I spec'ed for him.
  In fact he said a guy lives by him that has a dragster. He thought the cam was on the money for what he was doing. Grin  Cool
  Sends All the pieces to the engine builder and he advances the cam 4*. I haven't heard anything yet. I know the I spec'ed when he advances it will pull hard to about 4400 RPM set-up the way it is now. The cam I speced was for a haevy car and if installed straight up would run until the valves floated.(ME Mad)
  The way the Hydraulic Rollers are they run better with less Duration because of area under the curve. They use more of the cam today. But I wanted to be correct in the cam specs. Its a $400.00 cam not a $50.00 cam, and a major one at that.(ME STILL Mad)...LOL...
  What happens, they fire the engine and it doesn't perform the way it should, people start chasing Carburetors, Distributors, and other parts. Myself and Crazy Dave the Dyno Guy both said the same thing. @#$%^ we can't help them! When Crane Cams says they have 80,000 Cams in stock, you can believe that number for sure.
  I'm just frustrated myself. You Know Peter how you finessed me at the begining. We all have so many years of knowledge behind us. We try to help and the builder says I'm doing this. Why the heck didn't the builder get involved with the cam selection at the begining..
  Then some PUTTS I don't even know dumps on me. For what?

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
01:13 AM

I agree with all of you guys! The dreamers are just that dreamers. There was a guy on the Car Craft forum. Same deal took his Valiant to a chassis dyno to do an engine tune-up. Well the engine fouled spark plugs every 300 miles.
  Long story short the guy was listing what they had done. One by one I had him redoing what was done to screw up his brand new engine. He was a little mechanical knowledge. What he couldn't do he had someone else do. He finally got everything back to where it should have been. In other words they maybe could have rejetted the carb and recurved the distributor. He PM's me and said the real mechanic got the cam set back. Now he can melt the tires.
  You all know when you read these stories of how people get screwed, you can hear the frustration and heart-ache. This guy wasn't a dreamer he just got lost in these Chassis Dyno shops that seem to be the craze of the days to come....  

pepsi1 pepsi1
01:46 AM

Is this for real? Are we all up at 3AM? What's wrong with this picture?

Bob  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
07:21 AM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
Is this for real? Are we all up at 3AM? What's wrong with this picture?

Bob

Morning Bob.......  I haven't been Sleeping so my wife took the dogs out at 3 so I could sleep.they have gotten on her Sons Schedule He lives in the Spare Bedroom,(he's 43)I can't hear him in the back of the House.when he doesn't come home they come and get me up to go out.Good News I think he's moving Out.I have had Big plans for the last 3 day's and haven't gotten to do any of it.when I don't get my sleep I'm done.It will take a few day's to get them back on MY schedule.                                           skyeking where are you How are you.  

68scott385 68scott385
10:45 AM

It truly amazes me at what guys think they know but really DO NOT know.  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last