air or electric shifting

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

air or electric shifting

Shrike Shrike
New User | Posts: 26 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 01/07/13
10:29 AM

~66 Nova 600 hp ,gobs of torque and I want to keep both hands on the steering wheel. What is the best shifter? Air or electric and what brand?  TIA    shriker  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
01:27 PM

Shrike

I've only had experience with air shifters. In my opinion I think they are the most consistent. I used a B&M shifter and upgraded. Plan on spending approx. $500.00 and then optional equipment. Jegs, and Summit have a good variety.

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
01:32 PM

Shrike

I went on Jegs web-site and they have a B&M Kit for $652.99
  P/N 130-80794K

Bob  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2224 | Joined: 07/08
04:47 PM

I ran both air and electric, 2 speed powerglide only, and had good results with both. The electric costs less.
Like you I thought it was a good idea to keep both hands on the wheel and boy did I need that at times. Sideways at 100+ will wake you up.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 854 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 01/08/13
07:18 AM

Icon QuoteDave632:
I ran both air and electric, 2 speed powerglide only, and had good results with both. The electric costs less.
Like you I thought it was a good idea to keep both hands on the wheel and boy did I need that at times. Sideways at 100+ will wake you up.

Hopefully My roundtrack Exp.will help in this situation as sideways a 100 is simi Normal,  YE HAW Ya'll.  

Dave632 Dave632
Posted: 01/11/13
03:17 PM

Icon QuoteDave632:

Icon Quote76Skylark:
Hopefully My roundtrack Exp.will help in this situation as sideways a 100 is simi Normal,  YE HAW Ya'll.

Shocked Yeah sideways at 100+ on an oval is pretty normal and experience on a round track would surely help in my opinion.
I handled the situation with a cool head unlike others I have seen in the same situation. The sideways motion where it was not wanted was all my fault. I was out of the groove slightly and started to go sideways so I lifted corrected slightly as you should but I jumped back into it before getting back into the groove completely.
Hitting the tires with 1000+ hp at those speeds does violent things to a chassis that is completely unloaded. It spun the tires and jerked the car quickly out of shape. I let up quickly corrected and saved the car. This action was caught by the track camera who were videoing this race. The guy who did the video said he watched that one over and over. I still have a copy of that and would like to put it on you tube if I ever figure how. It happens very fast on the video but when I was in the car it seemed like it happened slowly.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
03:53 PM

It is Odd how things go into Slo-Mo,  I think I shared with you all about how I once lost it out of the 1st turn and hit the water Barrels at the Pit entrance at the begining of the 2nd turn. well I sat there a Minite or two and the water began coming back down on Me and I thought to my self "when did it Start Raining".... Also I have been wanting to Build My drag car with a 3 link rear so it will Articulate and not bind up like a 4 link will. that would really help a car that is getting away from a driver. Not a secret but Drag racers don't try too much other than what is proven and I think Differently than Most.  

Dave632 Dave632
08:03 PM

I never had a 3 link car. As you say we drag racers are sometimes reluctant to try different things as cash is usually in short supply.
A friend of mine, the speed shop owner where I bought some of my equipment, had a friend who had gobs of cash. Made it in land prep for housing developments. Made 50-60 million a year.
He said when they were younger they would chip in to buy a burger.
Now he would buy a 60 or 70 thousand dollar chassis on a whim.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 01/12/13
11:14 AM

If your use to turning left. Find a place on the door. To lock your left elbow. Keep it there and as long as you have the shifter doing that job don't move unless your so far out of shape the backs coming around.

I had some nasty high horse power cars in my day. You tend to pull the steering wheel left, its something we all do. I locked my elbow and the car always went straight. Try it

Bob  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 01/13/13
07:10 AM

Good Advice!