Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

IF U GUYS WERE ME IF I WERE U

swaluda swaluda
User | Posts: 71 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 01/04/13
08:42 PM

Stan in NE Pa here. You guys on the forum always gave me good advise. Some know what i'm up to, others not. Gotta 1950 Plymouth Coupe and i'm gonna chevy it up. Mostly for parts availability, also, i just feel more comfortable with chevy having owned a number of em. Now, some guys say Mopar should stay a Mopar, Others say, Never put a chevy mill in a different make car. So Some say, and others say, BUT I SAY, If its My Car, and My Cash, I wanna have some fun before i crash.   Hell, Some people would say i'm an old guy (63) Vietnam Vet, 2 tours, I was back on the block at 20. Bought a 64 Chevelle 427 stuffed in there, and Hey, before u know it, your runnin red line fever. Well, I still got it.. Been livin in this *** hole Honduras, too damn long. Last Summer, in July when i went back to visit folks i picked up this old Plymouth. It needs a ton of work, but hell, if your afraid to get your hands wet, why buy a bathing suit. Already sandblasted its ass and tore it all apart, front clip, rear fenders off, interior gutted, dash pulled. Need to do a little body work, not much to my surprise. Floor pans and body supports need done. Want to keep the car as was, a little mod on the bod,Not much, Interior the same style seats, split bench, different color interior for sure. Cant handle the plaid look much. Gotta fab motor and trans mounts, swap rear axles out. Plan to put a beefed up 350, about 400-425 Horse. Mainly interested in a street-Highway machine. The motor i'll build on my own with the advice of you forum guys, I know your good guys and willin to help. I guess the rear will probably be about a 390 ratio, the transmission has me baffled a bit. What would be the best choice for that in your opinions. Is there that much of a difference in any of em? Stan in NE Pa.  Crazy  Crazy  

68scott385 68scott385
Guru | Posts: 1990 | Joined: 10/09
08:53 PM

If you want a highway machine, overdrive transmission or 3.08 gears. JMO
Depends on how high you're willing to spin the motor to drive at freeway speeds. 3500rpm to do 70mph gets old quick.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
10:02 PM

Stan

A 3:90 rear gear and a 700-R4 or a 4L60-E 0r 4L80E. The O/D transmissions will get the RPM at a nice level. Then you know its easy to make 450 HP with a small block.

Any of the O/D trans even the 200-4R is good for street HP. With a 26" tall tire you will be around 2400RPM at 70MPH. If you need the power drop the old girl into 3rd gear. TCI makes all the electronics for the trans. Installing them isn't hard to do. Hoo-Rah..

Bob  

swaluda swaluda
Posted: 01/05/13
01:11 AM

I want to stay away from high RPM to cruise the Highway. I figure around 2500 tops is all a man needs  Stan  

xFourLeaf xFourLeaf
User | Posts: 62 | Joined: 01/13
01:39 AM

Did you want to go with a manual or automatic? I would suggest looking into a tremec tko. It's a 5 speed so you have the extra gear to cruise it on the highway  but can still be quick on the streets.  
xFourLeafxFourLeaf

swaluda swaluda
02:09 AM

What do you think would happen if i did put 3:08 gears in with the od trans? DO they come in a posi setup? Im not a truck driver or anything, but i live in Pa, have family in Colorado and Fl. Hence, I will be doing periodic cruising. Most of my time WILL be street,, With the motor i plan on low end torque, Not looking for a racer. I want to get out of the hole quick and set it into cruise... A little tire smoke every now and then isnt a bad thing either. I gotta have a posi rear though. I like the overdrive though, thats a keeper, I understand the TV cable has to be set up correctly or in no time u ruin the trans. Ive been watching Craigslist around the area  NY NJ PA. Seems there a ton of tranies out there for a reasonable price, also i know you better get a warranty on buying one. Some short shaft, some long shaft, I could only guess it depends on your driveshaft. If that is the difference, I guess it wont matter much to me because i plan on changing the axle assembly out and need to get a driveshaft anyway. If i'm wrong let me know. I dont know that much about it. Back when i was a young motor head it was always Muncie Stone Crusher and 456 gears. Now that i settled down a little and really cant afford to pay for tickets ( rather dump the cash in the car ) automatic overdrive makes good sense, and thats what it'll be. Well we
are getting closer to knowing what works best, AS A UNIT. Synchronized Motor, Trans and Gears is a must. You See, I'm Learning already. I'll get there in the end. Novemberish 2013, have a nice machine, and a heck of a lot more knowledge, that hopefully i can pass on like you guys are doing. These forums cut down on how many TUMS sandwiches you gotta eat. And keep you from bonehead stunts in buying the wrong stuff. Thanks all of guys for your input,,, Stan in NE Pa.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
06:18 AM

Stan, A 3.08 with an o/d would be nice at Bonniville,or on the Autobahn,not sure where you could Cruz at 100 for any length of time to be worth it Tho.. I would think a fast idle would still bog down even if the car was going 75 and that is about what you would have, there is a posi for the 3.08 it is in the GM series 2 carrier and its good up too around a 3.20's rear gear then you move to the series 3 carrier, all the Standard rears from the 70's were avail. with a posiVery common in Camaro and even more so in BOP( Buick Olds Pontiac)with the 2.73-3.08 but these cars came with 3 forward Gears not O/D you'll want the engine RPM to be at the Bottom of the power range while cruzin'.TV adjustment is Simple if you follow instructions, most Kids don't wait to drive, then Blame some one else that they didn't follow directions. I AM a BONEHEAD because I belive people when I am Learning and have Parts I don't need or can't use because it is a learning Process. here we strive to help people NOT make the same mistakes. Stan I am 61, so were are still younger than SEVERAL of the dudes here.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5117 | Joined: 12/09
08:28 AM

I think it might be a good idea to select a Z-28 or SS Camaro thats been wrecked and use the entire powertrain from it. Not suggesting a certain year. If you were to do a little research, you may find that the engineering work has been done by GM on a production car suitable for swapping engine, trans, and rearend as a package. That simplifies things because when you need parts, you only have to remember the Camaro and ask for parts to fit it. Of course you can still hop it up like you would the Camaro (or whatever, just an example) but much of the guesswork is removed and once you fit everything to the old car you're ready to drive.

FWIW, I like gears around 3.3 in everything. If you want to pull a hefty OD with a 3.08 gear you are probably gonna need torque better than what most mild 350s make!  
idrivejunk

swaluda swaluda
09:29 AM

I noticed that some trucks have a 5 speed, would that be the same tranny? Stan  

swaluda swaluda
09:39 AM

I guess there is an overkill possible here. Crusin 100 is definitely in my blood, BUT, we gotta calm down or the cops will nail us. Dont need that either. New Mexico or Arizona you could do that, but i aint going that way. I think the 3:90 then would be the one i'm loolin for. Just have to pay a few bucks more for highway trips. Stan  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5117 | Joined: 12/09
09:48 AM

Howdy Stan, John, gang.

I dunno, maybe not on the transmissions. Ratios would vary. I would have included trucks in my suggestion but the rearends are usually so different. Also some EFI truck intakes and accessory drives are shaped different (taller) which might actually work better than Camaro stuff, in the Plymouth. Carb or EFI is a big decision due to fuel system requirements. You can always shuffle rearend gears to match the package once you have some miles on it and know what you want so theres really no reason you couldn't use truck stuff and a car rearend. Heck if I was starting from scratch I'd like a new, torquey 406 built in a Dart block with AFR heads, full roller valvetrain. Backed up by a dual disc Centerforce clutch and a TKO five speed and spinning an 8.5" 10 bolt. Wouldn't we all? But you can probably score a running Camaro for what AFR heads or just that block would cost. If you keep your eyes peeled, you may run across a hot rod that has all the goodies you want in a crummy body that you can pick up cheap. Lots of that going around these days.  
idrivejunk

pepsi1 pepsi1
03:51 PM

Icon Quoteswaluda:
I want to stay away from high RPM to cruise the Highway. I figure around 2500 tops is all a man needs  Stan

Stan:

I gave you some figures with a 3:90 gear, at 70 MPH. I would not drop any lower than a 3:42 rear gear, with a 26" tall tire. If you go any higher a gear then that and an O/D trans you will be kicking the passing gear or dropping down gears to go up a slight grade in Eastern PA.
  I traveled all around that area in East Stroudsburg, State College, Route 80 up and down the Poconos. THey will be NO-NO Poconos for pulling the grades up there.
  You will be wasting fuel having a transmission shifting all the time, plus the wear and tear on the whole drive-line.
  Here's another senario: You have a 450HP small block. The cam doesn't start working (Making Power) until 1,800RPM. Now you have a 3:08 rear gear. You will either have you foot in the back of the engine to get the engine in the power, or you will be dropping gears manually in the automatic to get into the power. There goes your "FUEL MILEAGE" Grin  Cool

Bob  

swaluda swaluda
07:18 PM

You know i did give thought to a 400 block buildup. There are good barely used Dart and Vortec heads available for as little as $150 for the vortecs and say $350 with a little bargaining for the Darts  Pro Comp seems to have some HP heads for like 6 or 7 hundred brand new. I dont know how good they're product is though. You know, I'm all over the board here. I see great deals on 427's and 454's.. I just keep going back to the small block,, easier fit for sure, especially since the steering box on the Plymouth is gonna interfere with everything. I need to offset the engine an inch to the passenger side in order for the exhaust manifold to clear it. Once i start getting my hands dirty, i might even find out i need to cut the inner fender walls, hope not, we'll see. It's a Dirty Job Junk, someones gotta do it, since it's my car, i guess i'm elected. I'll enjoy every minute of it though. It's almost like your gonna get a free car for having fun. God, Ya gotta love this workin on car stuff. A little grease in the eye never hurt nobody.  

swaluda swaluda
07:30 PM

You know Bob, No joke, I didnt even know they made 26 in. tires. Everything was always 14 or 15 to me. I dont know if the'll fit with out jacking the body up a good bit. I can see the 3:90 would be a good choice. Do you think a 4:11 would be to low a gear for a cruiser with gas milage in mind? Then a few of the guys pointed out the 5 speed. I have one in my 6 cylinder Toyota truck down here in Honduras and i love it. Just a matter of choice i guess. Getting back to my post heading... IF YOU WERE ME, what would you do? Automatic VS, Standard shift Trans.. Stan  

pepsi1 pepsi1
07:50 PM

Stan I'm talking about a 26" tall tire. The taller the tire the more gear you loose.
That's a figure to work with thats all.

You said your up there in age, how's your left leg? Manual trans' are much more fun.

You know there is something else you could work with. If you have an automatic ie TH350 or TH400 Gear vendors makes an O/D unit that can withstand 1000 HP and Torque. Just another of my 2 cents.

Bob  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last