Big Block build advice

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Big Block build advice

1978chevy 1978chevy
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 10/11
Posted: 12/29/12
03:21 PM

I'm building a '79 4x4 dually with a turbo 400 transmission and I'm putting a '89 454 in it, the truck is just gonna be used for towing a couple vehicles at a time, I'm wanting to get all the horsepower and torque out of this engine that is possible and still drive on the road with no problem, I plan on stroking it but I just don't no what size to go with so my questions are

which is best to stroke it to 496 or 511?
what are the best heads cam and intake I can get to give me the most towing power?
and finally what kind of horsepower and torque do you think the set up will make  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 854 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 12/30/12
09:05 AM

Icon Quote1978chevy:
I'm building a '79 4x4 dually with a turbo 400 transmission and I'm putting a '89 454 in it, the truck is just gonna be used for towing a couple vehicles at a time, I'm wanting to get all the horsepower and torque out of this engine that is possible and still drive on the road with no problem, I plan on stroking it but I just don't no what size to go with so my questions are

which is best to stroke it to 496 or 511?
what are the best heads cam and intake I can get to give me the most towing power?
and finally what kind of horsepower and torque do you think the set up will make

I am new to BB Chevy engines,but I am Building One. to get a 496 you can use a stock block,to go to the 511 I think I would use a Big M block rather than using More than 4.25 stroke. you can Bore a stock Block .100 over but not much is left for any repair's to the bore. and Honestly If you have the coin go to GM and get a 502. I am building Mine from a Tall Deck GM Block  4.00 crank with .400 Longer BME aluminum Rods hoping to rev it up a bit. You will be a 10,000 bucks in no time so really one with a warrenty Is just Smart.  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2224 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 12/30/12
09:49 AM

The 496 is by far the more common of the two. This should make it a little cheaper the find a full kit. You of course have to bore the block to accommodate the bigger pistons the 496 will be using. Remember the longer you make the stroke more clearancing you will be doing.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]