69 Nova Light Switch or Fuse Problem

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

69 Nova Light Switch or Fuse Problem

CorvetteTom CorvetteTom
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/17/12
06:40 PM

I have a 69 Nova SS L78.  When I pull out on the light switch, the dash lights, tail lights, and side marker lights go OUT.  When I push the light switch down to just the park lights, obviously the headlights go out ... but the tail lights, dash lights and side marker lights also come back on.  I'm not sure if I have a switch problem, a fuse problem, or a ground problem.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks so much.  Tom  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
08:43 PM

ground issues are an issue..

here is a diagram that shows which wires go where on your headlight switch..

Attachment

please print this chart below.. its an image like a photo...

run at least the lower half of the test... 1, 2, 3, 4... and post your results... if you have a bad ground.. you will find it this way...   the headligthts have to be on.. for this to work properly...

VOLTAGE Drop Testing  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
09:46 PM

Welcome aboard CorvetteTom:

Tom:
  Is there anyway you can spray a contact cleaner in the switch while you are working it in and out. I would try that first. If that helps even a little, guess what you need to get a headlight switch.

Does the Headlight switch get very hot to touch? Replace the switch!

I would get a switch. After rereading your post, the switch does know what it's doing. If you turn the (fader or dimmer switch) does anything change other then the dash lights going dimmer? Good Luck...

Bob  

pepsi1 pepsi1
10:05 PM

Tom

Have you ever tried to track down a bad ground in a 43 year old car? Unless the wire harness has been changed good luck. Because when you even touch an old system that is original the Positve wire will react the same way. Been there and done that.
   For Example: Todays circuts if the bulb is GOOD and glowing,you can remove the complete socket of the tailight for instance, and it will still be Glowing GOOD!
   Circuts of yeaster year if you remove a bulb that is glowing in the socket of a tailight and take it from it's socket it will go out. You will have to run a seperate ground wire to get it to light outside its socket. Its like looking for a needle in a haystack... If that switch is reacting like you say replace the headlight/dimmer switch and enjoy your ride!!!

Bob  

CorvetteTom CorvetteTom
Posted: 11/18/12
09:54 AM

Thanks so much for the diagram.  I will do this and then post the results.  With this being Thanksgiving week, my time is all but consumed.  It may be a week or so until I can dig into it.  I appreciate your willingness to help me.  I hope you and yours have a happy Thanksgiving as well.  Tom  

CorvetteTom CorvetteTom
09:58 AM

Thanks Bob and Pepsi1.  Looks like the switch might be the way to go.  Yes, I have tracked down grounds ... and it is like a needle in a haystack.  As I told the other guy, this is Thanksgiving week and things are nuts around here.  It may be December before I get to this ... considering holiday stuff, honey-do lists, work, exhaustion, and all the other stresses of life.  Thank you guys again.  Tom  

pepsi1 pepsi1
03:22 PM

Covette Tom
Have a safe Holiday and thank you.

Bob  

CorvetteTom CorvetteTom
Posted: 11/19/12
05:50 PM

Alas!  I took your advice from these posts.  I started with the most simple first.  I got out my handy-dandy dental mirror and looked up in the switch box and noticed a little bit of oxidation on some of the contacts.  At the same time, I looked at the quality of the wires, fuses, etc.  I thought to myself "I'll bet anything this oxidation is interfering with that light switch."  So, I got out my CRC aerosol contact cleaner spray and "fired away" and the subject spots.  I worked the headlight switch in and out for about ten times.  I sprayed a little bit more and let it sit for awhile.  I drank a cup of coffee and came back out and worked the switch, and Here We Go ... I had lights at all places on the switch where I was supposed to have them.  You guys saved me a bunch of time, effort, and money.  Thanks much and have a blessed Thanksgiving.  Tom