Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Cop car engine swap? 2000 Impala V6 --->2009 V8

Snikermace82 Snikermace82
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/21/10
04:16 PM

I recently bought a 2000 Chevrolet Impala NC1 cop car. I would like to replace its 3.8 V6 with a 2009 V8 engine. I was thinking I could just pull the tranny and engine together and replace them both together. The engine compartment appears the same. I once heard if you tried hard enough you could put any motor in anything. Does anyone else out there believe this is possible. I want some good advice before I go pulling my car apart.

Thanks,
Officer_McLovin  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
05:55 PM

Snik,,,
Grab the ECM (computer) and as much of the 8 cylinder stuff as possible,
including motor mounts, radiator, shroud and every bracket nut and bolt.
the swap is possible
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5117 | Joined: 12/09
06:09 PM

Hello and welcome.

I would highly recommend going past the idea of two extra cylinders....

The 3800 and trans can be modified to achieve excellent performance numbers. Plenty enough to smoke your fellow officers in their fresh units! Swap engine/trans with a 97-up GTP or Riviera (L36 for an L67, they are plentiful).  Then soup that up! Surf around a bit (3800performance.com), there are some genuinely hair-raising 3800s out there. Best of all, there is INFINITE technical and high performance support available and a plethora of wicked speed parts being manufactured! That being said...

I tend to agree that physically fitting the drivetrain looks like a cakewalk, but don't be decieved. If you were a GM engineer, you'd have a leg up, but whew, the wires! Another thing to bear in mind is that while those W-body Imps are very hard hitters as far as front unibody structure goes,(I fix wrecks) but the engine-holding capacity built into them is just barely enough for stock. How would you like to do that swap then have a problem cracking windshields and having to slam the doors, driving crooked, etc.?

You are right though, anything is possible, its only metal! Grin  
idrivejunk

Posted: 01/22/10
07:03 AM

I have considered just super charging the engine it has and upgrading it to out perform stock 2000 Impalas. However, I have a limited budget of about $3,000. The V8 engine I have been looking at is in a junk yard up here in upstate New York. The car is a recked 2009 Chevrolet Impala Police Car. The junk yard is asking around $1,500 for the engine and transmission together with my "crew" and I pulling it. The problem with upgrading its original engine or getting a higher performance V6 is the prices and I would be getting myself into a project that I know little about. I have swapped engines before and I have an pretty experienced "crew". I believe that as long as the space is fitting, the V8 will drop in. Although, if it turns out that it simply can not be done or is more worth it to just upgrade its current engine, I will take that road. I would just rather go with the bigger and newer engine simply because as far as I can tell after much research, it has never been done before.

There is a first time for everything...

Breaking my back to break new ground..sounds good to me.

Officer_McLovin  Tongue  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5117 | Joined: 12/09
11:27 AM

You are thinking right.... Laugh  The spirit of a pioneer!

Come back and show us what you do either way! Should be interesting.  
idrivejunk

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
11:48 AM

+1
sounds interesting, could be a nice swap
lots of challenges tho
good luck
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

08:03 PM

I will be sure to come back and let everyone know how it works out. No matter my decission, it is bound to be a one of a kind x-cop car. Thanks for all the help.

Officer_McLovin  

georgiaboyzr2 georgiaboyzr2
User | Posts: 61 | Joined: 05/09
Posted: 01/23/10
01:18 PM

are you sure the cop cars got v8's? im pretty sure they still use the v6 - read up somehwere that the v8 impalas were only for european/middle eastern markets  

Posted: 01/25/10
06:36 AM

I am sure. I have seen the engine I want to get. The new Impala Police cars (at least 2009 on) are equipped with a 5.3 V8. Provided the county has enough tax money to pay for it that is.

Officer_McLovin  

Posted: 01/26/10
07:04 PM

So, I found out the people with the engine and transmission want 2,400 bucks for them and thats with giving them my old engine and without getting the alternator or starter or anything off the new one. So, today I purchased a cool air intake for the engine I currently run and tomorrow I am going to look at a super charger. I will also eventually buy a performance computer and upgrade the cool air intake into a ram air box. Any further suggestions?  

hubiedoobie101 hubiedoobie101
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 03/04/12
06:55 PM

I have a 2000 impala and was looking at doing the same thing but then saw the new v6's they are putting into the impala ss'. These carry only 3 hp less than the v8 ss  but is still much better on gas. On top of the 300 stock hp, it can easily be supercharged and add bolt-ons to make it incredibly bad-ass.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 03/05/12
06:47 AM

My Grandson has been looking for some way to waste his Income tax Check and the other Day he Surprised me Completely.he went by the Metal recyclers that I buy and sell scrap to/with and someone had just brought in(drove in) a 1999 Gran Prix with the Super charged engine.He got it for 800 bucks.we fixed some obvious Stuff and I replaced the rear door window and Motor/track assy.the Damn thing is Extremely Fast.so friend I am now a Fan of them.that is the only way I would go now, but you will still need the correct computers and wiring Harness.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 03/05/12
11:03 AM

Lark:

You'll have fun with it also. I worked on a 99 Camaro a guy brouht to my son. It reminded me of the whipple when I got inside. I don't know if this is true or not I heard GM doesn't build the Supercharged 3.8's. Do you know if there's any truth to that. Bob

My wife has a 2005 Monte Carlo 3.8 Supercharged that SOB has no mercy it will go as long as you want to hold the throttle on the floor. I've had it to a 148MPH and it started to get light. I had the ECM reworked.(Don't tell her but I hate the car).

Make sure you have a newer 3.8 W2 version it has the the counter shaft and real strong rods its really like a LT1 350 without 2 cylinders. Use only GM Synthetic Supercharger Oil in it. Change it before the time they say to and the internal oil orfices will stay nice and clean. You will have to run PREMIUM gas in it @ $6.00 a gallon...LOL....
Thank's,
Bob  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 03/06/12
06:04 PM

Hey BoB,really wouldn't Know about assy. of the engines but had come across 3800performance.com site when I was looking into fixin up a FWD trans. IDJ is right they are Into these cars there. the Cover on the engine says Supercharged II so It may be the one you mentioned,I will go out and See What it will do when he puts tires on it. I hate slinging Tires At Speed.Beats the Hell out of the body Ya know! never lost Control but have had to replace a Qtr panel or two,and fer sure on the Premium.thanks for the tip on lube oil.It has a Tick but I was hoping it to be the belt tensioner,It isn't regular or steady just occasionlly got to get out the stethoscope and listen around. It has 2 hundred thou on it but runs like a scalded Dog  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Posted: 03/06/12
06:05 PM

Hey BoB,really wouldn't Know about assy. of the engines but had come across 3800performance.com site when I was looking into fixin up a FWD trans. IDJ is right they are Into these cars there. the Cover on the engine says Supercharged II so It may be the one you mentioned,I will go out and See What it will do when he puts tires on it. I hate slinging Tires At Speed.Beats the Hell out of the body Ya know! never lost Control but have had to replace a Qtr panel or two,and fer sure on the Premium.thanks for the tip on lube oil.It has a Tick but I was hoping it to be the belt tensioner,It isn't regular or steady just occasionlly got to get out the stethoscope and listen around. It has 2 hundred thou on it but runs like a scalded Dog  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last