Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

sbc for pull truck

freddiejip freddiejip
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/26/12
06:10 PM

I am currently building a 66 chevy c10 2wd superstock pull truck. 4 speed manual tranny with eaton rearend that has 4.10 gears. I am stuck between building a 355 or going 383. The rules are 406 cubes or less, cast iron block, aluminum heads, single carb. I want to be able to turn 8,000 rpms because of my gear ratios and tire size. That would put me right at that magical 25-27 mph tire speed range. I would like to run at least 650hp if not 700+. I know this is hard to do naturally aspirated. I will be running 112 octane. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated, thank you  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
07:45 PM

Welcome to CHP freddiejip:

You didn't mention a budget? Start with a
1.Dart Little (M) Pro Engine Block.
2.Dart Iron Eagle Cylinder Heads
3.Use their Intake manifold.
4Call Lunati for a complete Rotating assembly
Then start your build from there.

Pulling engines need much as stroke as you can stuff in the Block. The longer the stroke the more torque.

Bob  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2220 | Joined: 07/08
08:34 PM

650-700 out of a 350 with a single 4 will cost a lot of money and you need a pro to build it.
I would look into used nascar engines. They are not cheap but you can get the power you want when you remove the restrictor plate. Cost is roughly 17-18,000 but you can get 7-800 hp out of one of them and 8000+ rpm.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

pepsi1 pepsi1
Posted: 10/27/12
12:34 PM

You bet Dave.
  Thats a great Idea. My memory is going also...LOL...A used Cup engine.
When your in that neighborhood of 650 to 700 HP it's very expensive.
  Thats why I wanted him to just see what a Pro Dart engine cost. The block is $3200.00 So by the time the engine is done he will be in the $50,000 range.
  I don't know if Sonny makes small block engines. But in a industry Flyer I get, they did an interview with him. He said his business is Booming. Not low end engines either $35,000 to $50,000 it was the higher priced spread...He said the engines he was selling were $70,000 and up. The reasoning he gave was simple. Guys want to purchase a reliable engine, maybe adjust the valves, get in the car fire it up and go....Guys don't have time to chase parts, get it to a machine shop, trial fit all the parts maybe 6 to 7 times hoping eveything will fit.
  With that said it makes sense. But who has $50K for an engine. He has payment plans....In an economy that is really hurting, Sonny's Engines are thriving..GO FIGURE.

Bob  

freddiejip freddiejip
03:42 PM

My brother in law already built a 355 that was running between 6-650hp based on everything we have read. This was in our 1990 superstock chevy. I already have 2, 4 bolt main 010 blocks. one virgin and one bored .030. The one we built was running kb 14cc dome pistons, 230cc pro comp aluminum heads, 2.05 intake/1.60 exhaust, single plane manifold, crane cam somewhere in the .585 lift range and a demon carb, barry grant edition. We run dry blocks with no heat issues. This motor was built in house for about $10,000 As far as the nascar motors go, not really that great for pulling. One guy runs one in our class and he had to rework it a lot to get it to perform. He is still leaving the line around 7,000rpms because it doesnt have the bottom end power needed to get off the line.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
08:01 PM

Freddie:

We try and throw all the possibilities at you...I hope you respect that. Now we kinda  know what you have. The only thing that puzzles me is the little cam.

Dave Ran a Pro-Mod Beretta.  He said he retired? Gear Heads don't retire...LOL...
Like myself I have a custom engine shop. I did retire...LOL...

Just a few questions.
1.Can you run a Solid Roller Cam?
2.What rear are you using. i.e. 9" Ford or Dana 60?
3.Are you limited to compression ratio?
4.Do you use Dry Block in the cylinders?
I can run some builds at my Dyno guy and see what he thinks. So hang in there a few days or so. (Your going to have to let Dave drive 1 lap)...LOL... His R/Foot made a hole in the carpet in his cruising car...LOL...Older Gear Heads!
How about a 406 I have some combo's for them? I'll give you some combo's you do what you think best...

Bob  

freddiejip freddiejip
Posted: 10/28/12
05:46 AM

Yes I can run a roller cam. My rearend is the 10.5 eaton. No limit on compression ratio but 112 is the fuel we have around here. The shop says its good for 15:1. No prefernce on heads. I have been looking at the afr 227cc because I like the big runners but maybe smaller runners are just as good setup right? We use the water jacket filler from summit and fill to the bottom of the water pump ports. The 355 does not have a roller cam but that is a future upgrade. That truck and motor is now my brother in laws and I am building my own. The reason I'm not going 406 is because it is another $1500 in my pocket.  

freddiejip freddiejip
05:59 AM

The tires are 31 15.5 15. It is kind of a limited budget being a single father. My boy is almost 4 and absolutely loves truck pulls. I can get the afr's for $1549 with a 2.1 intake valve and .710 lift springs. I have also found the dart pro 1's for $1300 that come with 2.08 valve and I believe the springs were .650 lift.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
03:49 PM

Freddie:

I let you know when in a PM. It maybe a little longer then a couple days. I Live in Western Mass. They are closing just about everything. The Gov. Has Proclaimed a state of emergency. We get Nor-Easter's that are the real storm makers up here. They are saying this storm will make the (1991 Movie that really happened) seem like a gust of wind. I live 120 miles in-land but this bad boy is going all the way out to western PA. But who really knows...
  So your son is 4 and loves truck pulls. My boys liked motorcycles. My granddaughter when she was 4-5 was sitting on the fender of my race car and getting dirty with me. When she was 7 she was sitting in the Co-Pilot's seat. I put ear plugs in and a (helmet looking for a little girl) strapped her in and did hole shots with her. She was my little peanut. She will be 19 in Nov. in college and still loves her race cars. Likes Danica Patrick, Erika enders, and I don't know how she got into motorcycles, Karen Stoffer. If I was 30 years younger I would go for Karen Stoffer myself...LOL... Grin  Cool

With all that said Freddie, I'll do what I can to help you, you make the final decision...I have 45+ years experience.You still have to give "Dave" a Lap...LOL...Dave, had a Pro-Mod Beretta.

Bob  

freddiejip freddiejip
05:16 PM

I live in maine. We get the real nor'easters lol. Be safe and ttyl of  

pepsi1 pepsi1
06:59 PM

Oh Man what a small world. You be safe too. How about a 383 with a approx 630HP? Would that be enough?

Do you know the Pelletiers from up that way? I don't know if I spelled the name correctly. I was supossed to go out but I'm catching up on some reading and some data enrty Blah, Blah, Blah....Hang in there.

Bob  

Dave632 Dave632
08:51 PM

Hope you guys are OK. It always seems to be those who are close to water get the worst of any hurricane. I lived in Fla. for over 30 years but not near the water and the hurricanes never affected me at all. Never even lost a shingle.
Those near the water lost everything in many cases.
If you are pulling would not the max cubes be worth the extra bucks. It seems a bigger motor will normally make power in the lower rpm ranges where you will probably need it for pulling.
You would have loved to have one of the 632s that I had in your truck. I think they might have protested you possibly.....  

pepsi1 pepsi1
10:50 PM

Thanks Dave for your concern.
I live in-land approx 120 miles. But when they say Nor-Easter if it's the dead of winter it could be 2' to 4' of snow. With this hurricane who knows?
  Did you see what I asked Freddie? I asked if he would give you a lap or 1 pull.? I told him you where a retired Pro-Mod driver.
  (Crazy Dave) My dyno guy. Oh man I know too many people named Dave...LOL... Him and I made a monster mouse engine. 454 cubic inch Small block.If you looked at it you could not tell it was anything,but a small block. It made 610 HP at 6400rpm and 584 Ft.Lbs of tq at 4500RPM. The torque curve started falling off at 5900RPM.It went with the HP curve. I don't know why we didn't play with the cam? Must have had too much Vino...LOL...But the 632 sounds better...

Bob  

Dave632 Dave632
Posted: 10/29/12
07:49 AM

With the equipment I have now he would have to give me a lot more than one lap.
Maybe a day head start!!! Or I pull a mouse out of bed vs him pulling a pull sled.... Grin
I will play a pool match heads up though. Tongue
Watched the US open 9 ball championship this week on PPV video streaming. The guys in the finals make me and all the hustlers and money players I play against look sick.
It seems like a bigger engine would be superior for a pull vehicle. I think there is a limit in the class he runs however.  

freddiejip freddiejip
Posted: 10/29/12
08:40 AM

Lol, yes I know the Pellitiers. Our last pull of the year was on their track. Snapped the male end of the slip yoke off after the third wheel stand Smile. There is a motor limit and if I go 383 what would be the best setup? Ive heard the issues with rods hitting the cam and what not so just wondering.  

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last