Key lock cylinder removal - 76 Camaro

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Key lock cylinder removal - 76 Camaro

bigdee2 bigdee2
User | Posts: 54 | Joined: 12/10
Posted: 10/21/12
11:36 AM

I've pulled the steering wheel, hug, turn signal and hazard levers/knobs and the turn signal aparatus with the 3 screws.

I just can't get the key cylinder out. Is the tab to depress with a small scew driver basically the end of the rod that runs down the steering column under the dash and hooks into the ignition switch interrupter? I've even tried an ice pick in the hole where the screw goes to mount the turn signal lever.

I have to be doing something wrong! Please help!! Derek

It does have tilt steering. Basically, you can start the car, but the key stays in the "Run" "Accessories On" position. And the chrome/silver outer piece around the key cylinder can just turn 360 degrees and keep going.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
12:45 PM

with the turn signal switch pulled up and away....  follow the lock cylinder into the housing...

you don't have to pull the turn signal harness out of the column.. you do have to unplug it and free it from the bracket that holds it...    but you probably know that already..

17 1

you have to depress the thumbnail retaining clip slightly in the side of the lock cylinder.. i am taking you have a new lock cylinder... see the latch on the side...

people including me have shoved the tool in too far..  preventing the lock cylinder from sliding out...

later models use a torx flat head screw to retain the lock cylinder..

usually when the key does not seem to do anything on a tilt column... you need one of these kits..

Dorman/Ignition Switch Kit
Part Number: 83211
Notes: With tilt wheel  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
01:19 PM

oh... this is the image of the 83211

83211 007  

bigdee2 bigdee2
User | Posts: 54 | Joined: 12/10
04:14 PM

Well it took all day, but it finally came out with an old kitchen knife.  At least one of the tumblers was destroyed and was holding it in.  

Anyone have a diagram of the parts and pieces in order to re-assemble this thing - everything got mixed up in this little 8 hour project.  Thanks.