engine lag

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

engine lag

vette81guy vette81guy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/12
Posted: 08/26/12
02:49 PM

Hey, I need help. I have an 81 Corvette with a 350 in it, has a 650 cfm Holley Car carburetor on it. When I give it gas it  bogs pretty bad, i talked to a Guy quickly at a car show and he told be to put a smaller Edellbrock cab on it with matching manifold, and upgrade my ignition system. But there are so many options for all that stuff, what do i get. Want too spend around a thousand on this.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
03:48 PM

most 81 corvettes came with a FULL FUNCTION feed back carb and electronic spark timing control...

does your distributer have a vacuum advance..  or  does it NOT..

if it does NOT have a vacuum advance.. since you have removed the feed back carb...

replace the HEI with one of the MANY optional HEI distributers with Vacuum advance.  there are even distributers with built in electronic advance.. so you can change the curve with a twist a tiny screwdriver.

there are a LOT of tuning things to do with the carb to improve the off idle transition.. accelerator pump shot volume .

do you still have the factory exhaust manifolds with the oxygen sensors??  if so.. you can easily wire up a 40 buck air fuel ratio gauge.. even if you power it from the cigar lighter socket with a curly cord..  its only one wire from the factory oxygen sensor to the air fuel ratio gauge..

also...    the passenger side exhaust might have a heat riser valve with a vacuum operated actuator... without vacuum to it.. it will be CLOSED.. blocking the exhaust flow from one side of the motor. this will cause a massive issue..

there are hundreds of thousands of 650 holleys sitting happy on top of 350 chevy motors..
and working just fine..

lets work through the issues.. instead of just tossing bulk money in parts at it...  

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
05:19 PM

Hi there,
 Keep the Holley.
 A bit of study of a carby book will show
 that it is not as complicated as some others.
 Everything that you need can be bought readily.
 Be patient with one step at a time..Good luck..  
skyeking

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 09/29/12
04:00 AM

look up MSD. They have whatever you will need. The 6AL ignition is a proven ign. box. It has a built in rev limiter. It will hurt you if you grap a wire while the engine is running. Send for their catalog.

Bob