piston stop tool

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

piston stop tool

jpatt87 jpatt87
Enthusiast | Posts: 567 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 06/20/12
03:10 PM

anyone ever use a piston stop tool to screw in plug hole. Spent all this money on msd stuff and i want my timing to be spot on at the track friday. I have a tci rattler balancer, it is a high dollar unit so i would assume the tdc mark is right on it, my pointer is just a mr gasket pointer and i find tdc with a allen key in plug hole and the piston seems to be right with those marks. I am buying a aftermarket pointer better then the mr gasket (for peice of mind) and didnt know if i should mess with the tdc tool or not. since i have a good balancer and will be getting a good pointer is my marks close enough to not worry about.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 06/20/12
04:20 PM

there is a TRICK...   take the rocker arms off the #1 cylinder when you are going to insert the TDC tool...  you don't want the VALVES opening and impacting the tool...

you can make your own TDC tool..   with a properly sized ANTI FOULER .. one of the spark plug extensions..    drill and tap the center for a bolt to thread in and an inch or two through to become your home made piston stop..  

please don't use the starter..  but you knew this..  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 853 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 06/21/12
05:30 AM

Icon Quotewaynep71222:
there is a TRICK...   take the rocker arms off the #1 cylinder when you are going to insert the TDC tool...  you don't want the VALVES opening and impacting the tool...

you can make your own TDC tool..   with a properly sized ANTI FOULER .. one of the spark plug extensions..    drill and tap the center for a bolt to thread in and an inch or two through to become your home made piston stop..  

please don't use the starter..  but you knew this..

Great call Wayne, I have done it the hard way for my whole life.I will make one today, should take every bit of 10 minuets.Thanks for such a simple Tool.john  

jpatt87 jpatt87
Enthusiast | Posts: 567 | Joined: 02/10
Posted: 06/21/12
01:32 PM

well that didnt work, i bout a tdc tool and the piston does not hit it. I have angle plug heads and i belive the tool is going in the valve releaf. I lined old pointer up with zero then installed new  one at zero. From the best i can tell the piston stops coming up at about 3 degress advanced before the zero and starts to drop about 3 degrees retard after zero passes pointer so i am kinda in the middle of the dwell point that the piston does not move at all. I know you cant get it perfect with just sticking somthing in the hole and feeling piston but should it be close.  

billsstroker billsstroker
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/09/13
08:28 PM

I am stuck in the same predicament. Gonna have to make tool tomorrow. Handy  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 02/10/13
07:38 AM

more tricks...

use a long breaker bar... and a six point socket on the center bolt...

but spend a few minutes first... check the looseness of the head of the breaker bar... either tighten the cross bolt to snug it up...   or exert some force to snug it up..   if the short extension or socket fit loose.. use a plastic bag and push the socket on the ratchet or the extension so the plastic bag fills the gaps and tightens it up..   same thing on the damper bolt.. plastic bag over the end of the socket snugs it up.. gives you much better control..

how about some images... timing covers...

note the different locations of the timing pointer.. for 12 o clock and 2 o clock.. but also for 7 and 8 inch dampers..   there are 4 different covers.. slide the bar at the bottom or open in a new window

Sbctimingcovers

note that at TDC 1 and 6 the crank key is at 45 degrees to the right of center when looking at it from the front..

Sbccamtiming

8Inchtimingmarks

note that both dampers below have the keyways lined up... but one is the 2 oclock and one is the 12 o clock...

Chevybalancermarks

for those who end up with a 12 o clock 7 inch damper.. mr gasket 4600.. is the pointer you want if you don't have one..  you will have to look down through the gap behind the water pump and timing cover to set the timing so don't expect this to help with short pump installations..  

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 02/12/13
12:04 AM

Hi there,
Old OZ Army saying..
" The most Obvious is the least Noticed."
Thought for Food and Inverse etc...  
skyeking