Brake lights not working

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Brake lights not working

nicebird76 nicebird76
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 07/04/12
06:34 AM

Just the other day the brake lights stopped working on my '76 Camaro. The running lights and the blinkers work so I know the lights aren't burnt out. Anyone have an idea about what may cause something like this? The fuses seem to be fine in the fuse box. Any ideas.  Thanks.  

waynep71222 waynep71222
Enthusiast | Posts: 448 | Joined: 03/12
Posted: 07/04/12
07:05 AM

do the hazards work... as they normally come off the same fuse as the brake light switch..  Yes/No

if yes...  

the brake light switch feeds into the turn signal switch with a white wire.   do you have power to the brake light switch??.      do you have power coming out of the brake light switch when the pedal is depressed...   either at the back of the brake light switch or at the white wire of the turn signal switch connector...

if your car has cruise control.  the brake light switch has 4 terminals like this.. but only 1 pair are used for the brake lights.. the other are used by the cruise control...

when the button is pushed in flat...     one pair of contacts has continuity.. the other is open..

when the button is extended...    the open is now closed.. the closed is now open..

when your foot is not on the brake pedal..  the pedal depresses the button in the end of the switch.     the brake light switch contacts are open.. so the brake lights are NOT on. when you depress the brake pedal it moves away from the end of the switch allowing the button to extend.. the brake light contacts close and send power through and to the white wire into the turn signal switch...  

nicebird76 nicebird76
New User | Posts: 31 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 07/05/12
01:45 PM

That's great info thanks.  The hazards don't work so maybe it could be a fuse too?  I just got a new brake switch so I'll start there. Seems to a cheap place to start.  I haven't check to see where I get power so I'll do that tonight. Sounds like its not too hard to figure this out. Thanks.