Chevy High Performance
Click here to find out more!

Affordable NHRA class for heads up racing?

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Affordable NHRA class for heads up racing?

L79lover L79lover
New User | Posts: 17 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 06/15/12
07:38 PM

I did some drag racing in the early 60's but I got married and couldn't afford to do it anymore. I find bracket racing incedibly boring and pointless. I always liked the old gas and stock classes where you were classed basically by weight and cubic inches. When you raced it was balls to the wall, you were trying to push the gas peddle through the floorboard and whoever got to the end first won. About 10 years ago I had a little extra money and decided to give drag racing another try so I joined the NHRA and got a rule book. I wanted to race super stock so I figured out what class my car would run but the rules for the engine were vague. I tried to get some clarification from the NHRA rep in Texas but never even got a response. I got discouraged with NHRA and the stock market tanked so I didn't have the extra money to play with anyway. I'm semi retired now and want to give it another shot. I have a lot more time than money. What would be a good class for halfway affordable heads up racing (I don't want to change valve springs after every pass)? I still have the L79 '68 El Camino that would have run Super Stock J 10 years ago. Thanks.  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2225 | Joined: 07/08
08:26 PM

I have to say you have hit a sore spot with todays drag racing. NHRA is not very friendly to the racers any more. They are only into thier big corporate high end racers which do bring in big crowds and they make a lot of money.
There are really no good heads up races you can get into if you do not have a lot of bucks.
I also found brackets not too hot and watching them is even worse.
I ran a pro mod back in the early 2000s but I ran it locally. The competition was quite tough even for a local events and nowadays it is even tougher.
My car ran mid 4s in the 1/8th at 150+ and I still was never the fastest car there. The car did require a lot of maintenance but the triple valve springs, 900+ lbs open), lasted a full season. It cost me about 1000 a month to run it including one test and tune, one event and maintenance on the car.
There are fastest street car events around which at one time were at least slightly affordable. Not any more. Even the radial tire, stock suspension classes are highly specialized and very costly. I do not know what a SS car costs to set up for NHRA but I guarantee you if you want to be competitive you need a lot of cash. I know of one guy who ran one and he had big bucks in his car.
If I wanted to run a SS I would look for one that was already built where the owner had to get out of it for some reason.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

L79lover L79lover
09:09 PM

Thanks for the response Dave. It looks like we have the same opinion of the NHRA. I remember when you could take your Mom's car to the dragstrip and have some fun. We actually did that a few times. One of my friend's Mom had a De Soto with a hemi and several of the Mom's had Chevy V8's. Stock pretty well meant stock back then and there was very little you could do as far as engine modifications. It also took some driving skill to get down the track. With the skinny tires if you had a V8 with any power at all you couldn't just put the gas pedal on the floor and dump the clutch when the light turned green. You had to feather the throttle at first and then jump on it after you got rolling good. We didn't have tachs then either so it was hard to be consistant. Oh well, those days are long gone. Back in those days the Ford, Chevy and Chrylser rivalry was really strong. I went from being a Pontiac fan, to being a Ford fan and finally ended up being a Chevy fan (and I still am today).  

Dave632 Dave632
Posted: 06/16/12
03:42 PM

I agree having run the old gas classes back in the 60s and early 70s. They were heads up classes and you pretty much were at least competitive locally with home grown modified cars. I ran several 55 Chevys back in the day any finally a 67 Camaro with a 350 in it. Waited about 20 years before I raced anything with some power. I did mostly run heads up but I did run some quick 8 pro tree events that were handicapped. There at least you had to qualify to get in the race. All who did not qualify went into the regular bracket race.
I also remember the great rivalry between the brands and it added to the fun. I totally dislike the very ugly  Mad asian cars of today a I would never buy one.
Good luck and I hope you get to run some kind of fast car.
I have been out of action since I lost my shirt and a lot of other things in the Fla RE crash. I now live in the great state of TENNESSEE. I do not regret in any way moving out of Fla.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 854 | Joined: 12/11
Posted: 06/21/12
05:53 AM

We seem to be about the Same age (I'm 61 this Saturday)and am trying to build a car.Seems like a class for heads up cars would be popular and it is If you make a couple THOUSAND horses.Brackets Suck.Not that I want to see ELVIS at the light's but a fast no electronics class pounds per Inch Gas and No power adders class would be fun/Popular.the only thing my 63wagon fits is Nostalgia/gasser.so lets stand up for a class of old style cars.run what you brung.  

Dave632 Dave632
01:39 PM

Icon Quote76Skylark:
We seem to be about the Same age (I'm 61 this Saturday)and am trying to build a car.Seems like a class for heads up cars would be popular and it is If you make a couple THOUSAND horses.Brackets Suck.Not that I want to see ELVIS at the light's but a fast no electronics class pounds per Inch Gas and No power adders class would be fun/Popular.the only thing my 63wagon fits is Nostalgia/gasser.so lets stand up for a class of old style cars.run what you brung.

A salute to that idea.
Maybe some local tracks might bring that back but NHRA  Mad as stated could care less about anything but how much bucks they are bringing in at thier big events. I have not gone to one of thier events in the last 20 years. Just big corporations battling it out.  

76Skylark 76Skylark
Guru | Posts: 854 | Joined: 12/11
02:49 PM

thanks and for sure the only place it would sell is Down home racin'. 7 lbs. per inch 2500# min 3100 max for BB cars under 475 inches ALL STEEL engines and body's No 4-link per Say but Cal-track and ladder bar (3)link truck arm /torque arm.what ever you feel needs to be done to keep tires (10.0) slicks or radial inside the body. maybe a trans brake but maybe no.A guy with a clutch can't preload his stuff.NO Other electronics ( just think the driver will have to watch a lot more stuff) those cars can run 9.99. that's fast.Affordable and any car  under a pro mod/outlaw can be competitive. can be put to use .really they could see 8's all heads up.not so much power to blow the tires but enough to over come a mistake in the other lane so lots of full runs.what would happen is bracket Guy's could step up or down and go back to heads up racing.I also vote If you race for MONEY In classes and those  that are at 200mph and above in the Qtr. race 1000 ft. actually we should all run 1000 feet.750-800 horse engines that can last a couple seasons rather than a couple runs.  

L79lover L79lover
05:05 PM

I haven't actually been to a drag strip in almost 15 years. I recently watched some live drag racing at Atlanta and Bowling Green on my computer. I watched it as long as I could stand the boredom that is. Bracket racing has ruined the sport of drag racing as far as I'm concerned. If I took someone to one of those races that wasn't already a fan of drag racing like myself and most of you I'd never get them to go back because it was so boring. Some guy would turn say a 10.24 and that had a 10.20 on his window. The announcer would get all excited about it. The problem was that the guy wasn't racing anybody even though there was a car in the other lane that looked like he was going as fast as he could. The 10.20 car wasn't even racing the clock, he was just trying to run 10.20. For all I know he slammed on his brakes or let up at the end. That's not racing. I don't have the desire, energy, time or money to go all the country racing. It would be nice to be able to compete locally and just have some fun. I wish they'd go back to some simple rules without all the high tech stuff where you didn't need to be rich or be in the business to compete. I'm going to write NHRA and see if I get a response.  

Dave632 Dave632
Posted: 06/22/12
07:05 PM

If you get anything besides a canned response from NHRA I would be amazed.  

pepsi1 pepsi1
Guru | Posts: 1718 | Joined: 09/11
Posted: 06/23/12
09:53 AM

Happy Birthday Skylark!

The days of going to the track and having fun are gone. Dave632 had a high dollar car to run.

L79Lover: Yeah those days are long gone. I would like to know how a 20 year can show up with a $25,000 engine? Even if we wanted to have fun, before you know it your dumping big dollars into an engine build-up.

The way we saw it is the way we should remember it. Because it is gone. Bracket Racing Sucks and it will never go away. (Your running faster then the other guy,but are you breaking) so should you get on the brakes or what???

I remember run what you brung....Most of us drove are cars there and if we didn't break anything we drove it home. Some guys flat towed their cars. You could put 260 Sunoco in you car. We had a blast for maybe $20.00 all day we had fun.

Yeah sure times have changed, but why can't there be a happy medium? They do hold Nostalgia Race days, but they don't advertise enough. NHRA doesn't care. Like Dave said it's the corporate high dollar, markets they are after. My 2 Cents.
Bob  

Dave632 Dave632
Posted: 06/23/12
07:42 PM

Icon Quotepepsi1:
Happy Birthday Skylark!

The days of going to the track and having fun are gone. Dave632 had a high dollar car to run.

L79Lover: Yeah those days are long gone. I would like to know how a 20 year can show up with a $25,000 engine? Even if we wanted to have fun, before you know it your dumping big dollars into an engine build-up.

The way we saw it is the way we should remember it. Because it is gone. Bracket Racing Sucks and it will never go away. (Your running faster then the other guy,but are you breaking) so should you get on the brakes or what???

I remember run what you brung....Most of us drove are cars there and if we didn't break anything we drove it home. Some guys flat towed their cars. You could put 260 Sunoco in you car. We had a blast for maybe $20.00 all day we had fun.

Yeah sure times have changed, but why can't there be a happy medium? They do hold Nostalgia Race days, but they don't advertise enough. NHRA doesn't care. Like Dave said it's the corporate high dollar, markets they are after. My 2 Cents.
Bob

Sad but true Bob and I surely remember going to the track with 20.00 in my pocket running all day and going home with 5.00 still in my pocket.
My Beretta was far from cheap but compared to some of the guys I raced against I was bargain basement. Some of thier tow rigs alone were in the 250K+ range not counting the race car and all the equipment.