Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

Noisy valve train.

TNFrank9 TNFrank9
New User | Posts: 25 | Joined: 05/11
Posted: 05/16/11
11:00 AM

I have a '96 L31 Vortec in my '96 Chevy S10 and the rockers sound noisy to me. Don't know if it's because they're the self aligning kind or what but I've gone by the book in adjusting them and they still have more clatter then I'd like. Any ideas what might be going on? Oil pressure is good, motor is in good shape and internals are clean. Do the self aligning rockers just make more noise or what? Thanks.  
'96 S10, V8 swap.

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Addict | Posts: 2337 | Joined: 03/10
03:56 PM

sounds like they are out of adjustment.     ive been useing self-aligning rollers with no problem or noise.     how did you adjust them?  

Pontiacman2 Pontiacman2
Moderator | Posts: 8956 | Joined: 09/08
04:11 PM

Sounds like they are not adjusted properly.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

TNFrank9 TNFrank9
04:19 PM

TDC #1, adjust all the lifters that can be done at that setting. Back off, tighten back up until the push rod just stops turning then add 1/2 turn. Crank around to TDC #6 and repeat with the ones that can be adjusted at that setting. Got it written down somewhere but don't feel like digging it out, you can google it if you really need to see which ones go with which TDC. I mean, it ain't my first Rodeo, I've wrenched on cars since I was 10 years old and I'll be 50 in June. It just puzzles me that even after adjusting them right they still make a little noise.

It's nothing huge, just a little "tick, tick, tick", other then that the motor runs ok. A mechanic friend of mine said that some of em' just run a little louder then others, it's nothing to worry about. I'm probably making a big deal out of nothing but hey, better safe then sorry. Cool  
'96 S10, V8 swap.

redneckjoe69 redneckjoe69
Addict | Posts: 2337 | Joined: 03/10
04:35 PM

thats not the correct way to adjust valves.   you need to do them one at a time.     rotate engine in normal direction.   when the exhaust pushrod starts to move up, adjust the intake to zero lash, then a half turn more.        when the intake pushrod goes all the way up, and then comes nearly all the way down, set the exhaust valve to zero lash, then a half turn more.     take your time, 1 valve at a time.    this of course is for hydraulic lifters, solids would use a feeler gauge to set lash.    never had a problem this way.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
Addict | Posts: 5117 | Joined: 12/09
04:54 PM

FWIW I usually do 'em like Frank does. No offense, Joe  Smile  
idrivejunk

TNFrank9 TNFrank9
08:19 PM

I was going to say, at TDC for #1 there's a number of valves that are totally closed and can be adjusted properly, you just need to know which ones. Then at TDC for #6 you do the rest of em' and you're done. I Googled the heck out of this and it IS a proper way to adjust em' but for some reason my old L31 just likes to "tick".
I may try putting a stiffer set of push rods in to see if that'll help. I may be getting some push rod flex from the cam that's in it. Not sure what the specs are but it does have a pretty nice lope to it so it's no where near stock specs.  
'96 S10, V8 swap.

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
09:01 PM

Adjusting valves is a topic that will be covered in a new thread that Pman and I have been working on for some time now.,. it will be called ""Basic Engine Building"
But I may as well offer the prescribed best method now, stock engines with stock cams can be adjusted with the TDC method.,. BUT, as duration, overlap, lobe center line and lobe separation angle enter the picture.,. the ONLY reliable way to properly set valves is by the static method.
Set intake when exhaust starts to open.,. set exhaust when intake is almost closes.
This assures that the lifter is parked on the base circle and 180* from max lift on the lobe of the valve being adjusted.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

68scott385 68scott385
Guru | Posts: 1990 | Joined: 10/09
10:23 PM

+1
That's the way the cam companies suggest adjusting the valves.  
68scott385 68scott385 68scott385

chevelle83 chevelle83
Addict | Posts: 2280 | Joined: 11/09
10:30 PM

I dont think he has adjusted the valves wrong, I think the normal noisy roller lifters are just fine too.

IMO, he is thinking of the flat tappet lifters and how quiet they are, every late model roller V6 and V8 engine had lifter noise, that I have ever worked on.  
in fact,,,,,, my dad bought a brand new truck and complained about the lifter noise,,,,, dealer told him it was normal.   I told him it was too.    

unless it is a single loud "tick"?????  I think it is just fine.  

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
11:58 PM

Laugh Hi there Agent 83,
  I would totally respect your opinion on this one.
  My 290 cam I had i my last 355 rebuild was really quiet
  compared to the
  Roller cam I have in My Torquey ZZ4 / 355HP motor. I does
  not worry me after 4&1/2 years
 of listening to it gaggle away....All the best to you guys for an
  intelligent Confused  Confused  Confused  Confused  
  posting...To Summarise..I would leave it as it is IF it stays as it
  is..Skyeking Cool  Grin  
skyeking

TNFrank9 TNFrank9
Posted: 05/17/11
04:46 AM

So it's just a Roller Cam kind of thing. Funny, now that you mention it, my '88 and '89 Mustang 5.0L both had Roller cams and I do remember hearing "lifter noise" but at the time I just thought it was because of the headers that I was getting more noise bleeding through.
That's probably it, just the nature of the beast so to speak. Thanks.  
'96 S10, V8 swap.

Pontiacman2 Pontiacman2
06:28 AM

Rollers do make a little noise.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
07:09 AM

Here is a vid so the engine only has to be turned ONE revolution, to adjust valves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89o5rLpbCgI

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

Pontiacman2 Pontiacman2
01:28 PM

Good vid.