Vortec heads and cam choice head mods?

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Vortec heads and cam choice head mods?

Elcamino80007 Elcamino80007
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/19/11
06:48 PM

Ok so I have a 90 model 3rd gen 5.7 block from a caprice. This is the lo5 engine with the swirl port l98 heads. This engine has a pretty fresh rebuild and is attached to a th350 trans with shift kit. This will all stay stock except for the topend of the engine. I just recieved a set of 906 casting vortec heads from a later model 5.7. I have a friend that will port polish and do any machine work on heads for $200. My only is with the lift. I want to run somehing around 525-550 lift and I know the heads won't handle that. I am on a tight budget and am looking for the best way to get better lift without spending a fortune. I have around 900 to spend. I will be running a performer rpm intake and edelbrock 650 vfm carb. And full lenth headers. With the intake and machine work that leaves me around 500 to get the heads the way I want and a cam. What is the best solution. I have seen the hotcam kits and heard of beehive springs. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please be specific. Also any hp rating for this I'm guessing 400plus.  

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 02/20/11
04:22 PM

Hi there,
 Why So much lift??. To Get 400 HP you can use cams with .510" or less and still get a ton of performance.. Some of the Experts can nominate the best makes and models..You are looking at a flat hyd.cam then the 234/244 should suit O.K.  
skyeking

Elcamino80007 Elcamino80007
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/11
Posted: 02/20/11
06:13 PM

Yeah that sounds fine for a cam. That will fit my rpm range better as well and maybe keep me from upgrading the torque convert for now. I will be getting comps beehive springs to use as well. Other than that I have read a few things about needing to change rocker arms and have the heads machine for more clearance for the rockers. What rockers would be a decent budget set and specs for those. Also should I be ok using stock litters and pushrods. I can just get a cam kit with litters if nessasary may not be a bad idea anyway?