Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

GM 502 crate motor

TAZVFR TAZVFR
New User | Posts: 7 | Joined: 11/10
Posted: 11/30/10
03:12 PM

Good afternoon all; I am new to this forum and need some help.  I am purchasing a '66 Chevelle SS that has a 502 Crate motor in it. I am trying to find out which one it is as there are several different horse powers to choose from. There are some numbers on the block passenger side front (BRE0694  4683) would anyone have a clue how to decipher these numbers or tell me who might be able to assist.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide.  

Skylark Skylark
Guru | Posts: 1481 | Joined: 02/10
05:30 PM

Is it a GM crate cause any one else could use anything else to build one to those numbers. so what ya think?  

TAZVFR TAZVFR
06:28 PM

That’s my dilemma; I am not familiar with Crate motors and just looking for advise-answers  

skyeking skyeking
Addict | Posts: 2738 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 12/01/10
06:11 PM

GMPP Crate motors are NOT cheap but again They are not Nasty..Sky sumthing  
skyeking

papacharlie papacharlie
User | Posts: 223 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/01/10
10:02 PM

is there writing on the front of the heads? are they aluminum or cast iron?  

TAZVFR TAZVFR
Posted: 12/02/10
06:09 PM

They are cast iron heads; I am not sure if there is any writing on them, the car is in Atlanta and I am in Florida, I should be able to get up there next weekend but i was just hopeing to get as much info so when I see it and inspect it I can make an informed descision.  

papacharlie papacharlie
User | Posts: 223 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/02/10
09:57 PM

bigest thing to find out is who built the crate engine. if it's a gm, cast iron heads were put on the ht502, which is the engine for older pick ups for towing. otherwise it most likely is a crate from the aftermarket industry. keep in touch, papa  

Dave632 Dave632
Addict | Posts: 2225 | Joined: 07/08
Posted: 12/03/10
09:06 AM

The cast iron heads were generally used on the lower performance motors with oval port heads and low compression which I believe was 8.75 - 1. This would make it street friendly but not a screamer.  
[[SUPPORT AMERICAN CARS, STOMP A RICE CAR TODAY.]]

Skylark Skylark
Posted: 12/04/10
07:53 AM

3-4 of us live in the atl.area If you need something shout out  

TAZVFR TAZVFR
Posted: 12/06/10
05:07 AM

The car is at street at Strees Side Classics; there are many pictures and a vidio on there site streetsideclassics.com.  I am also noticing the hood, looks like an aftermarket scoop was put on. Let me know what you think.  Thanks for all the help

Jay  

Skylark Skylark
05:41 AM

they are not that far from me but alas it's about 50 miles.the pics look good, the 66 right.hard to tell 'cause the67 doesn't look the same either.and it says 502 and not much more the 67 say's GM502 anyhow If you need someone to look at it before you drive up PM me.  

chevelle83 chevelle83
Addict | Posts: 2280 | Joined: 11/09
06:21 AM

Cool skylark,,, Now thats helping out!!  

ethelkilledfred-#001 ethelkilledfred-#001
Guru | Posts: 1371 | Joined: 03/10
09:49 AM

Icon QuoteTAZVFR:
Good afternoon all; I am new to this forum and need some help.  I am purchasing a '66 Chevelle SS that has a 502 Crate motor in it. I am trying to find out which one it is as there are several different horse powers to choose from. There are some numbers on the block passenger side front (BRE0694  4683) would anyone have a clue how to decipher these numbers or tell me who might be able to assist.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide.

There are a few red flags. Anyone can put 502 valve covers on a newer truck 454 and claim it's a 502. 502 did come in some trucks, but were high torque, low horsepower motors. Crate motors usually only come with casting numbers and no Vin or stamped numbers, at least the ones I have owned (I had a 502/502hp crate short block , replacement 350 and HO454, plus purchased BBC LS7 454 and LS1). Buyer beware, and it's up to the seller to prove any claims he makes. He should have proof or you should assume it is of the least value.

124Ddd
124Ii
Vehicle Description

When muscle is what you want and when you?re just tired of not having quite enough under the hood, we have just the right medicine for you. This bad boy is a 1966 Chevrolet Chevelle SS Sports Coupe (138) that houses a new 502ci crate motor so muscle is exactly what you get when you?re behind the wheel. Originally built here in Atlanta, this beast boasts a factory 4spd (M22) with a Hurst shifter so slamming through the gears will definitely put a smile on your face and keep you pressed back in the bucket seat like your being launched in a space craft. This a real 138 Vin SS car.

Dressed in its beautiful and correct original color of Marina Blue (code *** and sitting on Chevy Rally Wheels (ZJ7) with chrome trim rings, this beast is ready to hit the road and put down anything that dares to step up to the plate. The 502ci V8 with its 4bbl carburetor, tube headers, chrome K&N air cleaner, chrome alternator, chrome water pump, true dual 2 1/2" exhaust with chrome tips and ladder bars to keep the rear wheels planted firmly to the tarmac, this Chevelle is ready to take you to your next local cruise-in, Sunday drive or even a road trip. Power brakes (J50) ensure this real SS Chevelle stops on a dime. The chrome rear end cover hides the 3.73 gears (HO5) that give you the punch when needed yet keep the rpms low while cruising at highway speeds.

Opening the door reveals a flawless Black Vinyl interior (763) with front bucket seats (A51), center console (D55), AM/FM Cassette player and a cold blowing A/C and Heat (C60). A rare factory power antenna (U75) keeps the tunes coming in clear and the added Oil, Water and Volt gauges keeps your eyes on the vitals that keep this baby road worthy. This restored Chevelle is worthy of taking home a trophy or two from your local car show or cruise-in so come on into our showroom and grace your eyes upon this gorgeous 1966 Chevelle SS!

This vehicle is located in our Atlanta, GA showroom

-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

Skylark Skylark
11:23 AM

EKF,Man you do some GREAT posts.really Glad you stayed around.You,junkman,wayne,great posts,I really don't see this on other sites.and don't anyone feel left out 'cause you don't see your name 'cause everyone contributes so much to this site I have learned a lot and not just cars,about people too!  

ethelkilledfred-#001 ethelkilledfred-#001
Guru | Posts: 1371 | Joined: 03/10
02:08 PM

Icon QuoteSkylark:
EKF,Man you do some GREAT posts.really Glad you stayed around.You,junkman,wayne,great posts,I really don't see this on other sites.and don't anyone feel left out 'cause you don't see your name 'cause everyone contributes so much to this site I have learned a lot and not just cars,about people too!

Thanx  
-

Brotherhood of Street Racers

My Space Brotherhood of Street Racers
http://www.myspace.com/brotherhoodofstreetracers

BSR-International
http://bsr-international.ning.com/

ethelkilledfred-#001ethelkilledfred-#001

1 |  2 |  3 |  Next   | Last