Engine shuts down

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

Engine shuts down

buyrjv buyrjv
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/10
Posted: 06/20/10
08:17 PM

I have a 91 Chev Suburban with a V8 engine.  I had a brake wire problem and after I rewired it, the key in the ignition buzzer would go off when I put on the brakes with the engine shut off.  

Without realizing it, it may have kept the ignition on for about 2 weeks.  I only drive it rarely.  Last week I drove it about 5 miles and it died.  The battery was weak, so I had it towed home.  I charged it up good.  Today I drove it about 4 miles and it died.  I parked it for about 3 hours and drove it home.  It died about 1/2 a mile from home.  Parked it for 2 hours and made it the rest of the way.
The battery is still strong.  The engine never Overheated, but it died when the engine became warm.

About 6 months ago, I put in new wires, plugs, cleaned the carb, and it passed emmisions tests.  It used to run very smooth.

Starter spray would not make it sputter, so I think I can rule out vapor lock.  I am thinking that the electronic ignition is damaged.  I do not want to spend a lot on this vehicle, any suggestions?

RJ  

waynep7122 waynep7122
Guru | Posts: 1130 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 06/20/10
08:25 PM

before you disconnect the battery.. can you jump the A and B terminal on the aldl connector under the dash.. see if you can get any codes from the system...  i can post directions if you need them...  write the codes down and post them on this thread...

lets start with the basics...

are the battery cables clean under the rubber boots???  and tight????

does the battery have a full charge..????

got a digital volt meter????

set it to 20 VOLT DC scale...   with the engine running..  you should see when measured at the battery terminals..

14.1 to 14.6 volts...  closer to 14.6 on that model....

this indicates the alternator is properly charging..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

oh.. and how did you rewire the brake light wires??????

the key warning buzzer wires are in the turn signal harness...

start with this... there is more to come....

after you test these systems ...   DO NOT PULL the battery cable to test the charging system... it blows the diodes in the alternator...