350 sbc

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

350 sbc

dave1123 dave1123
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 04/09/10
06:50 AM

I haven't been around for a while, but I have a question for anyone interested in advising a pair of old geasers on social security dreaming of the glory days. I have been gifted with a 67 camero 350 short block with a fuely flat tappet cam and flat top pistons. I also have a pair of large valve 305 truck heads. I know what you're thinking! My buddy and I don't have a lot of money, but are still alive! He has a 52 Pontiac in excellent shape with no motor. I have this motor. Do you see where I'm going? He wants a street rod that looks like a classic but with a little muscle. I'm thinking this motor with a single four-barrel, headers, 350 THM , chopped converter, Chevy S10 rear axle, and disc-brake conversion should wake up the troops. What do you think? Will this motor run on 193 unleaded? Again, money is the major concern.  

WRIGHTRACING WRIGHTRACING
Enthusiast | Posts: 437 | Joined: 03/10
07:13 AM

This engile will run, but may have a bit of high compression. because the 305 heads are a 58cc chamber. If you don't wanna be out a lot of money, there are heads on eBay.com that you can get for around $500-600....Not the aluminum ones but the Iron enginequest heads. The procomps are very bad, stay away, but the enginequest heads are great for the budget minded streetrodder. Stay around a 180-190cc and you should be good. Other than that if you can find a cam that has a wide enough lobe seperation, then you might be able to run the 305 heads and get away with it, so long as the cylinder pressure isn't to high...Good luck and keep us updated...  
WRIGHTRACING

www.outlawracing.com
www.dragraceplace.com
www.ndrra.com

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
08:58 AM

If those are 64CC heads with your flat tops, your compression is around 11.5 and a tad on the high side for 93 pump gas.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

chevelle83 chevelle83
Addict | Posts: 2280 | Joined: 11/09
09:04 AM

just get a set of dished pistons to bring the compression down. 9.5 max on dishwater heck I have to back the timing down in the winter time to keep knock down. What happened to the good ole gas says.  

WRIGHTRACING WRIGHTRACING
Enthusiast | Posts: 437 | Joined: 03/10
11:03 AM

You sure that is correct Tuff, I would think 64cc's and flat tops would make just a little over 10:1, now if it were 58cc's may put it off into the 11:1+ range. Either way if he can get a good 10.5:1 happy medium ad find a cam not to build to much cylinder pressure, this should be the ticket for him..  
WRIGHTRACING

www.outlawracing.com
www.dragraceplace.com
www.ndrra.com

tuffnuff tuffnuff
12:28 PM

Icon QuoteWRIGHTRACING:
You sure that is correct Tuff, I would think 64cc's and flat tops would make just a little over 10:1, now if it were 58cc's may put it off into the 11:1+ range. Either way if he can get a good 10.5:1 happy medium ad find a cam not to build to much cylinder pressure, this should be the ticket for him..

I think you're right, cuz I was going from memory and I should really be more careful, as far as head CC's go. Thanks for pointing that out Wright.
Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

1993_Lx 1993_Lx
Guru | Posts: 1851 | Joined: 12/09
12:45 PM

Everyone slips just a tad sometimes... Hell I accidentally grabbed a gal. of trans fluid to fill my radiator today! But to my own defense they were both black and I only put in enough to fill a bottle cap Grin  
Most call me Lx, but I was born Dakota

tuffnuff tuffnuff
01:01 PM

+1 Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

dave1123 dave1123
User | Posts: 79 | Joined: 07/09
Posted: 04/10/10
07:00 AM

Thanks for the info, guys! I forgot about the chambers being small for use with dished pistons. Duh! Where I am the snow has just left and nothing's pulled out of the barn yet. Guys up here don't take to the roads 'til the rain washes away the salt. I think I'll try to go with dished pistons and softer cam. My friend is dreaming about the sound of a gear drive cam and solid lifters! This will probably go nowhere because we both have women to live with! He's the one with the car and the money, I'm just the wrench.

Hey 1993_Lx, How about someone who put radiator stop-leak in the gas tank of a 64 corvette fuely!!!

You are right about the gas! I've run 12.5 comp with 115-145 Av gas!