Chevy High Performance
1 |  2 |  Next   | Last 
Item Posts    Sort Order

A 1970 Chevy Malibu needs help!!!ahhh

Ch3vyMal1bu70 Ch3vyMal1bu70
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/24/09
03:34 AM

drove my dream car home and it'd become the worst nightmare ever!!

my car goes like this.
my 1970 chevy malibu shut down on me while driving on the freeway.
2-3 times trying to get it to start back up again i'd gave up and did not want to put any damage to it.so then i added some gasoline to the tank and gave it twice to the ignition and did not work.2-3 more times it'd fire back up but weak and gradually the engine raw.heres another thing i noticed when i was driving the car home.there was a smell like an oil burn or some kind of burn coming from the engine?inside?...not too sure..the smell was only pleasant at times.so what does this tell me my chevy lover??..im new to muscle cars and i would like to know more.

&

i was told from the owner that i should get a tune up but do not do the spark plug and wires cause i don't need to
and also do the flush and drain for anti-cooler(all fluid/liq. only he said) because the car has been just sitting there and was probably driven 3-5 times a month or not even.

is that right
or was i mislead with that fluid infor???

please help this Chevy Beauty!!!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS AND BEST TO WISHES!!! Cool  

p2-72chevelle383 p2-72chevelle383
Guru | Posts: 1757 | Joined: 08/09
07:35 AM

first thing i would check are the plugs and wires.see if any wires are off the plugs,burnt,or off on the cap.if not then check your plugs to see if any are fouled and why.it also would probably be a good idea to change the oil and check the coolant to make sure its not old or low,who knows how well this guy took care of the car.if none of this works then look at your carb and fuel pump,to see if they are delivering gas to the motor.also make sure that burning smell wasnt any of your ignition wires by the firewall burning and arcing under there.  
p2-72chevelle383

Pontiacman2 Pontiacman2
Moderator | Posts: 8956 | Joined: 09/08
07:41 AM

+1  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
08:00 AM

+2
Start the car up at nite, lift the hood and see if any wires are arcing....
You'll see it in the dark.
Also check for oil leaking from rocker cover and getting on a hot exhaust manifold.

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

waynep7122 waynep7122
Guru | Posts: 1130 | Joined: 08/09
08:29 AM

your description of the car shutting off on the freeway...

points to a restriction in the  fuel system...

a free flow cranking fuel pump test is needed..      this is a test that some mechanics know how to *** on your car.. it will take a few tools to do it right.. so you don't mess stuff up...    a flair nut wrench probably 5/8"  and a 1" fuel filter wrench to hold the filter nut at the carb...       hold the one inch wrench tight.. so the nut does not turn at all.. then with the 5/8 on the tubing nut.. try to loosen it...  exert some pressure on it to tighten it ever so slightly... then it will loosen with your flair nut wrench..

unhooking the negative side of the ignition coil... so no spark will happen...

unhook the fuel link at the carb....    push a piece of rubber fuel hose over the end of the open fuel line..   put the end of this rubber hose in a clear plastic 2 liter or gallon bottle...   have someone crank the motor for 10 seconds...   you should get over a pint of gas... in 10 seconds.. but i want you to watch the pulses of gas out of the hose and into the bottle...  are they all full strong surges of gas...   if they get smaller and smaller.. you might have a restricted fuel line  or clogged strainer in the gas tank....    all the pulses of fuel should be strong.. and even..    

i would think that you might also want to borrow a  repair manual that covers cars with points.. if your car still has point type distributer..    read up on how to install.. and properly adjust points...   you will also need a dwell meter and a timing light.,..   since dwell meters are not the rage.. you will need to examine the selection of automotive digital volt meters at the local autoparts store..  many of the automotive versions have dwell meter ranges...   if you have electronic ignition.. so much the better..

you did not describe other than your car is as it left the factory...  

ph... with a digital volt meter.. you can test your spark plug wires...    set the digital volt meter to 200K ohms scale...

measure resistance...  the meter readout will be less than the length of the wire in inches..   a 24 inch will if good will read less than 24 on the meter.. usually around 7 to 12...  for a 24 inch long spark plug wire..  

03:51 PM

hiya!THX!!!!! for the quick reply yal!!!

so. if i want to bring it to the shop and get it fix there how much do you guys think it will cost me??? and is it ok to bring it to those big dealer Chevrolet shop or those little guys with the local shop that works on american cars???remember this is a 1970 chevy malibu and i have no clue what i have under the hood and or the spec.

i will get my hands dirty but i need a partner that knows more and can guide me through.personally i rather have a personal mechanic and pay them by projects.

any advise or where to find a personal mechanic or shop out here in Sacramento/Folsom/North Highlands/Citrus Heights California??  

03:56 PM

need a job??? Grin  

gettnlarge01 gettnlarge01
Addict | Posts: 3330 | Joined: 09/09
04:25 PM

+3 p2  
luck is when skill and opportunity meet

p2-72chevelle383 p2-72chevelle383
Guru | Posts: 1757 | Joined: 08/09
05:36 PM

if its a stock car basically then any reputable mechanic in your area can help you  
p2-72chevelle383

Pontiacman2 Pontiacman2
Moderator | Posts: 8956 | Joined: 09/08
06:35 PM

+1 but be sure they know what they are doing.  
Pontiacman2
Pontiacman2

Professional Hi-performance engine builder

06:47 PM

if i upload some photo..can yal see from there if its a stock car???

any help will be great THX!!!  

tuffnuff tuffnuff
Moderator | Posts: 7827 | Joined: 12/09
07:22 PM

prolly,,,

Smile  
When The Flag Drops.,.

tuffnuff

The Bull ***t Stops.,.
tuffnuff

P. Engineer, Engine Builder

1993_Lx 1993_Lx
Guru | Posts: 1851 | Joined: 12/09
07:54 PM

Your best bet is to make freinds at cruise night. They will likely know exactly how to troubleshoot a Musclecar as well as show you a few things along the way. On top of it they will probably assist you for no cost other than a cold beer or a burger. Having the right connections with car guy's can go a long way and you will likely make good friends as well. If you have questions you need answered quickly there is almost always someone on here willing to help.

Grin  
Most call me Lx, but I was born Dakota

08:05 PM

lols tuffnuff i will also take some photo of the a/c component and you can also check that out..

sum1 get me connected with a buddy out here in Sacramento/Auburn CAlifornia =0
needs help with a few minor problem here and there.

problem that i want to get fix are..
.a small leak from underhood.
.sometime the "hot" light stays on and that crap scares me
.get ac/heater to work
.hook up my seat belt
.hook up my left and right mirrors
.align my frigging windows.
.check engine/trans and everything to see if its running properly.

will upload photo tomorrow on engine and a/c component..

help needed!!!  

08:33 PM

http://www.auto-repair-sacramento.com/
http://www.performancechevy.com/parts/index.htm
would anyone of these dealers shop be fine???
any tips be great  

1 |  2 |  Next   | Last