getting 550 hp on a 4 bolt main 350!

Chevy High Performance
Item Posts    Sort Order

getting 550 hp on a 4 bolt main 350!

texascutty24 texascutty24
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/26/08
06:11 AM

My brother loves chevys, thats also his nick name. Hes got a 1980 chevy pickup that has a stocked 350 4 bolt main.  He has no knowlege on how to build one.  To get around 500+hp with a procharger is what he really wants. The only thing that he knows is to go Forged.  Please He really needs help on what to get from the ground up meaning the list of parts that will be needed to get that kind of power.   Confused  

GibTG GibTG
Guru | Posts: 1985 | Joined: 10/03
Posted: 12/28/08
07:45 PM

I am not ambitious enough to generate an entire parts list as that is a lot of work for something that is highly theoretical.

I will say that 500 horsepower with a supercharger is very do-able and I must say that a procharger is an excellent choice in terms of power per dollar spent but what scares me is that, "he has no knowledge on how to build one." You can try to get advice from a local gearhead or a machinist but if you want to do it right and especially if you're dealing with high-dollar forced induction "stuff" start talking with a professional engine builder.  
~Gibs

cathleen cathleen
User | Posts: 82 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/28/08
09:39 PM

you can do 500hp on a stock 350 4bolt. I would atleast do a complete arp stud and bolt kit along with the rest of it but forged crank,rods,and pistons is the way to go over cast parts as there much much stronger. at 500hp with cast parts and beating I wouldn't guarantee how long the motor will hold together although my charged 6 is good for 500 crank hp bone stock with just a forged crank. A weak part is stock rings and what not  

Mighty_Mouse Mighty_Mouse
User | Posts: 63 | Joined: 06/08
Posted: 12/30/08
09:40 AM

one thing im wondering... why waste money on a set of main and head studs if your only looking for 500hp? you will blow a cast iron 4 bolt cap before a good grade 8 bolt. and the only good thing i have herd about head studs mixed with inexperienced builders are leaks...  
UGC ALL DAY! {UGC}<MOTOR>

cathleen cathleen
User | Posts: 82 | Joined: 12/08
Posted: 12/30/08
08:05 PM

Sorry I disagree about the end caps, You will (probably) be fine with stock bolts and guaranteed with arp at 500hp. atleast go with arp main cap bolts. I would just use that stock motor depending if it's still farily decant, put a cam in it that's is for a charger and better one that has been used in conjunction with a 350 and a procharger put headers and a good 2-3/4 or 3" dual exhaust and your motor should rip the tires of in a lighter car.
here you go find a artical on a procharged 350 and use The cam headers etc. that they used you should be able to find a artical. 500+hp has been made with a 350 and a cast rotating assembly.  

zherm77 zherm77
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 02/08
Posted: 12/31/08
12:10 AM

you learn by doing,
and this sounds like its a little ambitious of a diy project for some one with no engine building experience
but reproducing a build that has already been tried and tested is the best way to go so you dont blow up your money pit